chassis notch s3

S3 syc

Reaction score
Has anyone got any recomendations for someone who could do me a neat and tidy job on a notch on my 8p s3 in bradford or surrounding area,s cleckheaton,halifax etc??? thanks

Last edited:
Ah a cutout, I see, well need a good welder tbh, its easy to cutout, but its the strengthening of that area that's where is important to maintain a safe ride.

You may need an SVA test done afterwards - around £400/£500 IIRC

Im pretty sure theres lots of people on here with this done who didnt require a sva after.

Awesome GTi are based near you are they not?

Yea not too far from me didnt think they did this sort of work though thought id need more of a bodyshop type place

I know it's not near you.

But shiv at design4automotive did mine and its spot on!

Never heard anyone on here whose done an SVA or even notch for lowering, how low you need to go, N8 has his on the ground & he's never mentioned this to me once.

Im pretty sure n8 will have a notch but to be honest im no expert on it myself just going off info ive been told

Ok, someone is going to have to explain what a "notch" is. I have no idea!
I thought you lowered it with lowering springs.....
Thanks.

This is a notch mate
notch_zpsf2211f88.jpg

Its just a cutout of an area to give more room for components to move freely, like shafts.

Its just a cutout of an area to give more room for components to move freely, like shafts.

Just for the record,I'm not having a go at people who lower their cars etc,and obviously this is neither my interest,nor my field,but in notching the chassis like this,is there any consideration given to structural integrity after doing it?

I'm just curious to know what parts of the chassis are cut into,and how they're made as solid as before,when it's been done.

Just for the record,I'm not having a go at people who lower their cars etc,and obviously this is neither my interest,nor my field,but in notching the chassis like this,is there any consideration given to structural integrity after doing it?

I'm just curious to know what parts of the chassis are cut into,and how they're made as solid as before,when it's been done.

So why quote me, lmao, I agree tbh I wouldn't touch my chassis to make it lower, ever, although any professional person would then structurally, make it as solid as before the modification, by some supporting bracket/part & seriously good welds.

Not for me, but each to there own & how do insurance companies view that, not at all I'd say.

So why quote me, lmao, I agree tbh I wouldn't touch my chassis to make it lower, ever, although any professional person would then structurally, make it as solid as before the modification, by some supporting bracket/part & seriously good welds.

Not for me, but each to there own & how do insurance companies view that, not at all I'd say.

Sorry mate!

I only quoted you as you knew more about this than I do!

Yes...good point about the insurance companies,as I expect they'd be over this sort of thing like a bad rash if there was an accident.

Time for me to go back to engine parts.......

Reactions: NHN
Going low enough to warrant a notch on an S3 is going to seriously mess with the Quattro, and ruin everything that the car is about. Think carefully; Spend the notch money on even better coilovers and ARB/WALKs.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.
I think it's safe to say, I'll never be doing it!
I'll just go with the crumple zones that are engineered in :)

That's the result of mankini wearing.

Going low enough to warrant a notch on an S3 is going to seriously mess with the Quattro, and ruin everything that the car is about. Think carefully; Spend the notch money on even better coilovers and ARB/WALKs.

can you elaborate on this further please, I have seen many cars with notches with no negative results so curious on your experiences

Has anyone got any recomendations for someone who could do me a neat and tidy job on a notch on my 8p s3 in bradford or surrounding area,s cleckheaton,halifax etc??? thanks

Are you having problems going low enough on your coilovers? Itd have to be rather low for you to need one if your staying static...
I was under the impression notches were mostly for people running air when the cars fully down and not for driving purposes?