Backache...... Is it the car???

SEP

Reaction score
Hi I have been driving my A3 S Line Black Edition for 18 months and 6 weeks after delivery had a car accident in my husbands truck which kept me off work for a couple of months. My lower back ache has been off and on since but I have recently taken on a new role in my job which means a lot more daily driving sometimes up to 6 hours and I'm finding it increasingly more uncomfortable!! I have spoken to my fleet dept who are willing to swap my car but, as I really enjoy the look and 'fun' drive im reluctant to swap it if I'm likely to experience the same issue with a different car. Has anyone had any similar problems??

The standard seats aren't the best for lower back tbh, ideally you need electric lumbar fitted which makes a huge difference, as I also sometimes have back issues, could be retrofitted or could source some seats with for you, just has a bit of a cost to it, PM if this is of interest.

The seats fit me perfectly and are the best of any car I've ever had - including the 16-way electric memory ones with lumbar in the Jag that the Audi replaced - I guess it depends on your size and shape - I am 6'4" and a bit overweight - all sorts of car, bus, train, plane and office seating gives me backache, but not the ones in the Audi - one of the few things I don't moan about on my car.

Not being offensive or anything my dad gets back ache when he drives my car hes overweight but could be the fact my cars lowered on springs and isnt best ride quality lol

personally iv had a lot more lower back pain since i got my A3 s-line a couple of months ago. Something id never experienced with my VXR. My seats seam to have a lower back support halfway down that cant be adjusted.. i blame that.

personally iv had a lot more lower back pain since i got my A3 s-line a couple of months ago. Something id never experienced with my VXR. My seats seam to have a lower back support halfway down that cant be adjusted.. i blame that.

Test drive one with electric lumbar & I'm almost sure the issue will get better, I've tested multiple times & between the 2 types it helped allot.

Personally I think the seats are very very comfy, probably the best iv had :)

Fair chance its the car. I've had sciatica on & off for 25 years and you get to notice which car seats have decent lumbar support. Mine in my A3 2.0TFSi sport don't. I've had cheaper and older cars that have better, even adjustable support. Know where you're coming from in liking the rest of the car though ! My cheap & cheerful fix is one of these HARLEY D SHAPED LUMBAR SUPPORT ROLL 5" CUSHION & STRAP | eBay . Cut off the strap close to where it meets the roll and sew a loop of this to it Shock Cord Elastic Bungee Rope - ShockCord Tie Down Tarpaulin Trailers | eBay so you can hang it round the headrest so the roll is at the correct height for your back. As the cord is elastic you can always adjust it. Colour is a close match to my seat so doesn't look too naff. Feels slightly odd at first but you soon get used to it and your back thanks you for it!

Personally I think the seats are very very comfy, probably the best iv had :)

It probably shows people where they have a weakness currently in there back tbh, so anyone with no issues probably wouldn't be affected atm, but its made a difference to me & others I know of.

The cushion is a good idea, but as with allot of german car owners lol, some don't like the look of those things sitting in there nice sline seats lol, no offence, its just psychology, but between £11 & hundreds, its worth a shout huh :)

I had back problems for ages and had to roll out of bed to get up. Took me months to work out it was the new bed that had slates instead of a firm base divan. I sympathise with ur back troubles :)
Agreed tho I don't want beads and such covering my fine seats ;)

Retrofit some audi a8 seats they are BIG and comfy