Michelin or conti

I oOEddOo I

Reaction score
Morning people.
The tyres is for a S3 BE

Just cant decide which to go for the conti 5 or michelin ps3
from what i have found on oponeo prices is only about £12 difference
camskill is selling conti 5 for £101 but do they offer any michelin to audi ??
I have done my research and found the micelin pilot sport cup is that worth buying?? or just stick with the ps3

Thank for your advice :)

I'm using Goodyear eagle f1 assy 2. Great tyres loads of grip in the dry as you would expect, but the wet grip is amazing. Give them a try

Reactions: I oOEddOo I
Michelin PS2 or PS3 all day, every day.

Spot on - you'll get the £12 extra back in additional miles over the Contis. Never like continental, right from the initial sport contacts.

Tyre tests are fine but most are completed at Continentals or Pirellis test tracks so no surprise they come out well.

I heard the PS3's is abit more sticky on the road I guess that a good point but conti 5 is the latest product :S just cannot decide

Depending on how and where you drive... If you don't do any track days, better not get PS Cup! It's a semi slick, high performant and developed for track use, so wet grip is not that great and you'll use them faster then the other products that you mention.

About Michelin ps3 or ContisportContact 5... difficult to choose. Two very good tyres, to distinguish the two you better compare the differences in performance. Take a look here!

- Test & review Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyre
- Test & review Continental ContiSportContact 5 tyre

Good luck!

Dunlop Sport SP Maxx RT doesn't seem a bad tyre either. I am also looking to change tyres and might go for these.

Check if Michelin Pilot Super Sport's are available for your size.

Goodrich g-force low profilers!! Best set of tyres I have had.. I find them better then eagles, conti and the Michelin.

amazing grip in the dry and even better in the rain.

Ilim

Morning people.
The tyres is for a S3 BE

Just cant decide which to go for the conti 5 or michelin ps3
from what i have found on oponeo prices is only about £12 difference
camskill is selling conti 5 for £101 but do they offer any michelin to audi ??
I have done my research and found the micelin pilot sport cup is that worth buying?? or just stick with the ps3

Thank for your advice :)

i've got the Michelin Supersports on mine.

Admittedly they're 245x40x18 but compared to ALL of the others I've tried(PS2s,PS3s,F1Assys,R1Rs,etc),these offer by far the best grip,and all round performance,and really aren't that far short of Toyo R888s for dry grip,so I'd recommend those.

I agree with S3Alex, I also run Pilot Super Sports on my RS3 which sees the occasional track outing.

If you are looking for just road use the PS3 is still a good tyre to consider. The super sport adds stiffer sidewalls and tougher tyre shoulders for fast road and track work. They are brilliant in terms of dry grip and they also work well in the wet. For the RS3 they also make the handling more neutral and grip-slip-grip transition more progressive. Another way to say that is they are way more fun!

So I also say Super Sports but from what others tell me PS3s and Goodyear Eagle F1s are worth considering.

I agree with S3Alex, I also run Pilot Super Sports on my RS3 which sees the occasional track outing.

If you are looking for just road use the PS3 is still a good tyre to consider. The super sport adds stiffer sidewalls and tougher tyre shoulders for fast road and track work. They are brilliant in terms of dry grip and they also work well in the wet. For the RS3 they also make the handling more neutral and grip-slip-grip transition more progressive. Another way to say that is they are way more fun!

So I also say Super Sports but from what others tell me PS3s and Goodyear Eagle F1s are worth considering.

I've used both the PS3 and F1s and honestly,the Supersports are way better.....for me anyway!

Reactions: I oOEddOo I, Sevv and Kelza
Vote for conti 5's. Theres a few users on here that will vouch for these two, had ps3's prior to this (only on the front) and they were nowhere near as good as the contis.

In regards to the post about the ps3's lasting longer. I once heard someone say "better to have grippy tyres and change more often than hard ungrippy tyres that last a long time" and its always stuck with me (something along those lines anyway). Grip will always be what u need from tyres, especially in an S3.

I've used both the PS3 and F1s and honestly,the Supersports are way better.....for me anyway!

yeah i would stick with Super Sports , im also currently running them and the confidence is just great

quoted for the Pilot Sport £145 each and they recommend me Pilot sport 3 instead .......

N1, N2 etc are Porsche markings.
I'm guessing you'll be looking for 225/40/18 92Y XL
Maybe even AO rated ones?
I'm running MO rated PS2's at the moment and they are no different to non-MO rated ones.

There are no N ratings on my Super Sports on the RS3. From the information I've seen on the Michelin site the Super Sport is not yet an N rated (eg Porsche homologation approved) tyre?

As far as I understand it N ratings are purely for Porsche. N0, N1 etc refer to tyre compound revisions as they make improvements to the tyres specifically for Porsche. Some might say it's another clever marketing method by Porsche to add even more 'exclusivity' and therefore price to the brand. Others will defend that and say the compound is specific to the car.

I think these are what you are looking for, no stock though so the price might be wrong, I think a certain BMW is fitted with them as standard in this size:
Michelin Tyres / Car / Michelin Pilot Super Sport - 225/40 R18 88Y (*) TL Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 71dB &pound129.60 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18 <span class=blue>OE BMW</span>

There are no N ratings on my Super Sports on the RS3. From the information I've seen on the Michelin site the Super Sport is not yet an N rated (eg Porsche homologation approved) tyre?

As far as I understand it N ratings are purely for Porsche. N0, N1 etc refer to tyre compound revisions as they make improvements to the tyres specifically for Porsche. Some might say it's another clever marketing method by Porsche to add even more 'exclusivity' and therefore price to the brand. Others will defend that and say the compound is specific to the car.

I think these are what you are looking for, no stock though so the price might be wrong, I think a certain BMW is fitted with them as standard in this size:
Michelin Tyres / Car / Michelin Pilot Super Sport - 225/40 R18 88Y (*) TL Fuel Eff.: F Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 71dB &pound129.60 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40R18 <span class=blue>OE BMW</span>

so these will fit my s3 you reckon ??

I was going on a size posted a few posts earlier. What width/profile and rim size tyres have you got at the moment?

Reactions: Walts2782 and I oOEddOo I
Great, then yes they are the right Super Sport tyre for your car.

Here are my longer thoughts on the Contis and then the difference the Pilot Super Sports made on the RS3:

Conti 5P:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-forum/180179-bye-bye-conti-5ps.html

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/rs3-fo...r-sports-taking-rs3-great-truly-gripping.html

You sound as much as convert as me on these.

I was truly surprised at how good they are,on both wet and dry roads,and the increase in grip overall is excellent.

Reactions: MBK
Thanks Alex, I am, I've never experienced so much difference from a set of tyres - if they work with the power you have too that's even better news.

I'm stunned that the MPSS have near R888 dry grip yet also work as well on wet roads (I've had too many scary wet moments on R888 track machines to count!). The fact the tyre shoulders also withstand track work so easily is all the better. I'd say they are a must buy for the RS3 and I'd imagine they'd do much the same for the S3.

Reactions: S3Alex
Thanks Alex, I am, I've never experienced so much difference from a set of tyres - if they work with the power you have too that's even better news.

I'm stunned that the MPSS have near R888 dry grip yet also work as well on wet roads (I've had too many scary wet moments on R888 track machines to count!). The fact the tyre shoulders also withstand track work so easily is all the better. I'd say they are a must buy for the RS3 and I'd imagine they'd do much the same for the S3.

As you can probably guess from my thread,my car can easily suffer from a surplus of torque over grip...LOL

The last updates to it included a lot of suspension work and increasing tyre width to get some of that back,and I'd had R888s from the start of that.
Those were suprisingly good in cold weather,but a bit treacherous when pushed hard,whereas these things just work from cold,in wet or dry conditions,and are the closest thing I've had to track tyres,that can be used in all conditions.

I can still get the TC going,but it needs to be provoked,and with it off,the progression into oversteer is pretty good.

88Y is the maximum load rating. 88Y = 560kg, 92Y = 630kg maximum load per tyre. If you drive around with the car fully loaded with 5 people and loads of heavy luggage all the time theoretically it would make a difference. But just as your tyres have a Y (= max 186mph) speed rating there is a fair amount of over engineering in these figures! I'd say 88Y rear tyres would be fine, but I'm sure new versions of the Super Sport will be along soon with the 92Y rating, or you can go for PS3s as they already have this.

Reactions: S3Alex and I oOEddOo I
As you can probably guess from my thread,my car can easily suffer from a surplus of torque over grip...LOL

The last updates to it included a lot of suspension work and increasing tyre width to get some of that back,and I'd had R888s from the start of that.
Those were suprisingly good in cold weather,but a bit treacherous when pushed hard,whereas these things just work from cold,in wet or dry conditions,and are the closest thing I've had to track tyres,that can be used in all conditions.

I can still get the TC going,but it needs to be provoked,and with it off,the progression into oversteer is pretty good.

It's good to hear this from someone with the power to test the tyre to the maximum. With the PSS on the RS3 ran out of brakes pretty quickly (resolved with an AP upgrade) and now as you rightly say it's the suspension that's the limiting factor, especially in the wet when the suspension runs out of travel and the tyres skip over standing water making the ABS a bit too active.

R888s and A048s were ok on the AWD cars like the Evo but they could still bite. I remember a few Megane R26.R buyers having incidents on them too. It took me a long time to get confident on R888s on the sub 600kg kit cars but as long as you can get and keep them warm they are ok. The PSS are the best of both worlds for me, good enough on track and safe on the way home too.

It's good to hear this from someone with the power to test the tyre to the maximum. With the PSS on the RS3 ran out of brakes pretty quickly (resolved with an AP upgrade) and now as you rightly say it's the suspension that's the limiting factor, especially in the wet when the suspension runs out of travel and the tyres skip over standing water making the ABS a bit too active.

R888s and A048s were ok on the AWD cars like the Evo but they could still bite. I remember a few Megane R26.R buyers having incidents on them too. It took me a long time to get confident on R888s on the sub 600kg kit cars but as long as you can get and keep them warm they are ok. The PSS are the best of both worlds for me, good enough on track and safe on the way home too.

I think as you say,that keeping the 888s warm is the key,but that's very difficult on any normal road,and the R1Rs I had last year were so much hotter on a trackday that the difference was very noticeable over how they usually were.

The S3 and RS3 stock suspension is OK ride-wise but when pushed it gets very wobbly,and runs out of travel pretty fast,and the same sort of criticism fits the brakes,i.e. OK for stock/normal use,but a bit soggy when pushed at all.

Both cars are quite solid shall we say,at 1500 and 1600kgs respectively,so there's a lot of weight to be controlled and stopped,and what I'm saying about the brakes and suspension is a reflection of that,as much as the stock parts being specc'd to a minimum rather than a maximum.

I think for a lot of people what I've done is probably a step too far,but it works in controlling the car's mass a lot better,but it is pretty hard.

For Edd though,there are plenty of tyres now to choose from,and I doubt he'd be disappointed with any of them,as I've certainly been through most of them myself,but the best so far has to be the PSS.

I think as you say,that keeping the 888s warm is the key,but that's very difficult on any normal road,and the R1Rs I had last year were so much hotter on a trackday that the difference was very noticeable over how they usually were.

The S3 and RS3 stock suspension is OK ride-wise but when pushed it gets very wobbly,and runs out of travel pretty fast,and the same sort of criticism fits the brakes,i.e. OK for stock/normal use,but a bit soggy when pushed at all.

Both cars are quite solid shall we say,at 1500 and 1600kgs respectively,so there's a lot of weight to be controlled and stopped,and what I'm saying about the brakes and suspension is a reflection of that,as much as the stock parts being specc'd to a minimum rather than a maximum.

I think for a lot of people what I've done is probably a step too far,but it works in controlling the car's mass a lot better,but it is pretty hard.

For Edd though,there are plenty of tyres now to choose from,and I doubt he'd be disappointed with any of them,as I've certainly been through most of them myself,but the best so far has to be the PSS.

I will need to get ringing tomorrow and try my luck otherwise I have to settle in with Conti 5 :S