Tyres? 205 or 225 1.6 Petrol

Reaction score
Chaps,
Tyres on my car are nearly towards the end of their life and I am thinking of changing the alloys at the same time since current ones are well below average in terms of the looks (9 arm original Audi alloys). Considering I have got a 1.6 Petrol, I don't want beefy tyres to shoot my mpg's. Also, considering London's roads, I don't want to go below 45 to kill the suspension.

I've been looking at 17" alloys and thinking of getting 205/45/17 V/Ws. Does this sound a reasonble combination? Could someone give me an idea of how much will 225's affect the mpg's? If it's 10miles per tank sorta thing, then I don't mind. But if it's like 30-40 then it would be a no-no.

Please bear in mind before replying that I drive a Petrol and not diesel :p

I dont think there will be much difference in what your looking for. Probably couple of liters per tank?

check this site to calculate your tyres Tire size calculator

Pardon my ignorance - Does it mean that going for a wider tyre affects the speed as well as the odo reading in the long run?

Wider tyres will have no effect on Odo/Speedo reading. It's only the circumference of the tyres that will affect this, ideally you will want to run a lower profile tyre with larger alloys so that your tyre circumference remains the same as it was before.

Use the calculator posted by Joe to get the right tyre profile for the new alloys.

Pardon my ignorance - Does it mean that going for a wider tyre affects the speed as well as the odo reading in the long run?

Wider does not matter, unless you raise your profile/bigger/taller. More rubber more weight and more fuel/ different speedo reading. With Wider tires you have more grip on the road.

Chaps,
Tyres on my car are nearly towards the end of their life and I am thinking of changing the alloys at the same time since current ones are well below average in terms of the looks (9 arm original Audi alloys). Considering I have got a 1.6 Petrol, I don't want beefy tyres to shoot my mpg's. Also, considering London's roads, I don't want to go below 45 to kill the suspension.

I've been looking at 17" alloys and thinking of getting 205/45/17 V/Ws. Does this sound a reasonble combination? Could someone give me an idea of how much will 225's affect the mpg's? If it's 10miles per tank sorta thing, then I don't mind. But if it's like 30-40 then it would be a no-no.

Please bear in mind before replying that I drive a Petrol and not diesel :p

As said the width will have no effect on your mpg. The correct tyre sizes for the A3 from factory are as follows

16" wheels 205/55 R16
17" wheels 225/45 R17
18" wheels 225/40 R18

If I were you I would stick to those sizes.

Reactions: 37
As said the width will have no effect on your mpg.
Well - to me, logically, it doesnt make sense. More width means more contact with road hence friction and reduced mpg :uhm:

The correct tyre sizes for the A3 from factory are as follows

16" wheels 205/55 R16
17" wheels 225/45 R17
18" wheels 225/40 R18

If I were you I would stick to those sizes.

Thanks very much for this maty. That's perfect.

Last edited:
Reactions: audicruiser