EM TuningSky Insurance
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By audicruiser
  • 1 Post By 37

Thread: Tyres? 205 or 225 1.6 Petrol

  1. #1
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118

    Tyres? 205 or 225 1.6 Petrol

    Chaps,
    Tyres on my car are nearly towards the end of their life and I am thinking of changing the alloys at the same time since current ones are well below average in terms of the looks (9 arm original Audi alloys). Considering I have got a 1.6 Petrol, I don't want beefy tyres to shoot my mpg's. Also, considering London's roads, I don't want to go below 45 to kill the suspension.

    I've been looking at 17" alloys and thinking of getting 205/45/17 V/Ws. Does this sound a reasonble combination? Could someone give me an idea of how much will 225's affect the mpg's? If it's 10miles per tank sorta thing, then I don't mind. But if it's like 30-40 then it would be a no-no.

    Please bear in mind before replying that I drive a Petrol and not diesel :P

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    I dont think there will be much difference in what your looking for. Probably couple of liters per tank?

    check this site to calculate your tyres Tire size calculator
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  4. #3
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Pardon my ignorance - Does it mean that going for a wider tyre affects the speed as well as the odo reading in the long run?

  5. #4
    JayT's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Norfolk
    Posts
    26
    Wider tyres will have no effect on Odo/Speedo reading. It's only the circumference of the tyres that will affect this, ideally you will want to run a lower profile tyre with larger alloys so that your tyre circumference remains the same as it was before.

    Use the calculator posted by Joe to get the right tyre profile for the new alloys.
    VCDS user in East Norfolk!

  6. #5
    AudiMafia's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    403
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fifty5 View Post
    Pardon my ignorance - Does it mean that going for a wider tyre affects the speed as well as the odo reading in the long run?
    Wider does not matter, unless you raise your profile/bigger/taller. More rubber more weight and more fuel/ different speedo reading. With Wider tires you have more grip on the road.
    A3 8P 2.0TDI 140 Sport | Blue | Full Leather Heated Seat | BOSE | 6 Disc Changer | None Smoking Pack | | Nav | Xenons |
    Mods | 18" Rotiform Staggered | Tinted Windows | S3 Spoiler | 2009 S-Line t Rear | Front Chin Spoiler | Wind Deflectors | Re-Map |
    | MY11 Lights | S3 Side Skirts | Private Number Plate | Milltek Exhaust | S Line Gear knob

  7. #6
    audicruiser's Avatar
    Audi Heaven

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,861
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fifty5 View Post
    Chaps,
    Tyres on my car are nearly towards the end of their life and I am thinking of changing the alloys at the same time since current ones are well below average in terms of the looks (9 arm original Audi alloys). Considering I have got a 1.6 Petrol, I don't want beefy tyres to shoot my mpg's. Also, considering London's roads, I don't want to go below 45 to kill the suspension.

    I've been looking at 17" alloys and thinking of getting 205/45/17 V/Ws. Does this sound a reasonble combination? Could someone give me an idea of how much will 225's affect the mpg's? If it's 10miles per tank sorta thing, then I don't mind. But if it's like 30-40 then it would be a no-no.

    Please bear in mind before replying that I drive a Petrol and not diesel :P
    As said the width will have no effect on your mpg. The correct tyre sizes for the A3 from factory are as follows

    16" wheels 205/55 R16
    17" wheels 225/45 R17
    18" wheels 225/40 R18

    If I were you I would stick to those sizes.
    37 likes this.
    Scott

    Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

  8. #7
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    As said the width will have no effect on your mpg.
    Well - to me, logically, it doesnt make sense. More width means more contact with road hence friction and reduced mpg


    Quote Originally Posted by audicruiser View Post
    The correct tyre sizes for the A3 from factory are as follows

    16" wheels 205/55 R16
    17" wheels 225/45 R17
    18" wheels 225/40 R18

    If I were you I would stick to those sizes.
    Thanks very much for this maty. That's perfect.
    Last edited by 37; 28th May 2013 at 10:40.
    audicruiser likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. S3 Tyres Pirelli Rosso 225-18-40Y Rating
    By MancDave in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26th July 2009, 17:56
  2. Tyre Pressure for 225/40R18 tyres
    By technics100 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th October 2008, 17:18
  3. best tyre option opinions 225/40/18??
    By campbell in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 6th July 2007, 21:55
  4. Tyre pressures for 225 35 19 tyres on my 2000 S3
    By brucelee1973 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 9th March 2007, 11:50
  5. Tyre Pressure Help 225/40R18
    By necroeire in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13th November 2006, 18:21

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO