Number plate lights too bright!?

s3reptdi

Reaction score
Police just had a word with me when I pulled up saying my number plate lights are too bright and they couldn't read them which is rubbish! I have led ones, it can be read, they said I should change them. Anyone know the MOT laws on this? Has anyone else had this issue?

Just say there factory fitted and they cant say anything lol they pulled me for same reason and said ok and i went

They said look at ours (new shape Astra with dull yellow lights) I said yeah new cars are fitted with led can us technology and they said there not factory fitted which there right but they could have been and said if it were traffic police they would have gave me a fine or more :/ yeah ok!

They said look at ours (new shape Astra with dull yellow lights) I said yeah new cars are fitted with led can us technology and they said there not factory fitted which there right but they could have been and said if it were traffic police they would have gave me a fine or more :/ yeah ok!

Do a layer or 2 of lamin-x on them and that should calm them down a bit. :icon_thumright:

Disnt say anything to me i said there factory fitted and went, but i get stopped atleast 10 times a year lol for no real reason

Disnt say anything to me i said there factory fitted and went, but i get stopped atleast 10 times a year lol for no real reason

me and u both, been stopped 7 times if im right so far. My cars not far off the way urs looks lookin at ur avatar. Never been stopped for ma LED's tho. i've been stopped for driving 40 in a 30 when i didnt break 30 once cos i knew they were behind me, i've been stopped because no car details came up on NPC but after a second try everything was there magically, i've been stopped 4 times cos "an audi similar to yours made away from us earlier in the day". On the third time, i asked the police woman why i'm constantly getting stopped for this reason... her response was "there must be a lot of audis like urs making away from us" the other time was because the vehicle was newly in my possession and was still registered to an address 100 miles away.

As for the legislation around it, i don't think there are any. If they can make DRL's so bright up front, to the point where i've seen cars use them as headlights with no other lights on at night then i see no harm in LED number plate lights. And if they're factory fitting them nowadays then there can't be issues with them.

Reactions: Ironborn
The best one i got stopped for was- i just closed my shop after a 13hour shift and was on the way to the gym at 8pm then i saw blue lights on a undercover 3 series estate bmw, he came to the door and said get out the car so i did and turned it off and say in there car he then said "the reason im stopping you is because a stocky asian man was seen in the surrounding area in an audi trying to kidnap a woman" i just started laughing and then had to take them all the way back to my shop in there car to prove i had been in the shop via cctv footage, then they took me back to my car which was a 10minute drive away and i gave them silent treatment and didnt respond to any questions to peee them off it worked lol

Reactions: Ironborn and sliced
I get pulled for LED foggs and just say they are drl's lol
sidhu upload pic of your car

Pic1

Not the best pic, aint had a chance to get many good ones since i put the splitter on. PD170 sportback, factory chrome mirrors btw. I didnt like em at first but they grew on me

Reactions: TDI140
Depending on the type of number plate LED's you've got, you might be able to turn the bulb round. What I mean is, if you've got the ones where you replace the whole unit then this won't work, but if like mine you've just replaced the festoon bulbs then you can spin them round in the holder until the LED's are facing away from the clear plastic lense. I did this until I found an angle where the light wasn't too bright and looked more OEM.
I prefer it to look crisp and original rather than over the top.

There's an older 5 series BMW that I follow to work sometimes and his number plate lights are so bright that the reflection off the plate is actually dazzling. God knows what sort of bulbs he's got, but he certainly got his money's worth when he bought them though.

View attachment 16162

Not the best pic, aint had a chance to get many good ones since i put the splitter on. PD170 sportback, factory chrome mirrors btw. I didnt like em at first but they grew on me

Ahhh so you guys are the reason I get pulled over in my dolphin grey sportback :mad:@@@@

Apparently theres a kidnapper with an audi where i work lol, best comback i had for wheel spin once was too much torque lol

Sidhu yours looks abit like my car
ImageJust washed