Cleaning

d3fy

Reaction score
Website
d3fy.co.uk
Any any advise on cleaning and polishing the car, never had a black car. Any does and don't? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

Use meguirs if your budget is average but if you got a lot of Dosh go for Zymol...big bucks.
I have a black 2001 S3 and I use meguires gold class wax 4times a year and the when I wash the car just run over the car with quick detailer and you'll never be so pleased. The initial wax takes 2hrs including wash but after that the interim wash and detailer 1hr. Hope this helps. Never wash and polish in the sun

Yeah - the quick detailer is a god send, especially for black as it shows water spots really badly, no matter how well you've thought you'd dried it. Just remember the basics and you should be ok - hose the car down well first to get rid of grit and stuff, never let anything that touches the car touch the floor. Oh and get some wax on the wheels while they're still nice and shiny new - makes cleaning them afterwards much easier.

mm, use some wheel cleaner. At least my tyres are a bit grey compared to rest of the car and it doesn't look good. Tyre cleaning stuff makes it look better (at least at summer, now it's just salt and dirt and whatever at winter anyway).

But black paint is sensitive, so extra careful when cleaning it.

If you do properly wax your car (as opposed to polishing it) then one tip is dont let the Dealer clean it. They use dirty leathers and cleaning fluid that will strip any and all the wax off your lovely motor.
I use Zymol, after trying all the others over the years, and would not change. No swirls on my car, shines so much its a delight. Swissol is very good too.......

Bung it through carwash (or jet wash) once a week - occasionally wax it with black polish stuff (no white dust) - spend time saved rogering the next door neighbours wife... (he quipped donning full face crash helmet...) Agree about dealer wash - mine was dirtier after than before...

Car washes destroy the cars paint finish unless that wash is of the brush-less variety.

In a past life I managed a large automotive dealership's parts operation - my team were forbidden to use the car-wash as it did so much damage to the vehicles paint finish and effected the re-sale value of the so vehicles badly.

Car Washes are scandalous devices - sooner or later someone will successfully sue an operator.

I'm sure you're right Cosmic - but in the winter months I don't have the time or inclination to stand outside & freeze. The Car wash I use doesn't have old fashioned brushes - sort of floppy, rubbery looking things that kind of slap the car about a bit...then I finish off with a good rub down with a leather- like pay as you go automotive S&M really...

My advice would be to be careful how hard you rub. I think I may have been too heavy handed with the chamois in the past. Got the odd marks in the laquer. Also, slight scratches in the laquer show up too. Never buying black again! lol