Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Stuck in the Mud

Hi all, I was at an event for work and long story short my car got stuck in the mud and had to be towed out.. A bit embarrassing but my main concern is the clutch.. I was revving and the wheels were spinning but I wasn't moving and I'm wondering if this would burn the clutch? Some of my colleagues drove past and mentioned they could smell it burning..

Should I be worried?

Also I drove about 5 miles back to the hotel fine but not sure if I've done any lasting damage?

The car is on 54k miles 2.0 tdi

Any advice would be great
    2.0 TDi S-Line | BOSE | iPod | Full Leather | Electric Mirrors | Armrest | Rear Tints | Diamond Vision | MY11's

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim_88 View Post
    Hi all, I was at an event for work and long story short my car got stuck in the mud and had to be towed out.. A bit embarrassing but my main concern is the clutch.. I was revving and the wheels were spinning but I wasn't moving and I'm wondering if this would burn the clutch? Some of my colleagues drove past and mentioned they could smell it burning.. Should I be worried? Also I drove about 5 miles back to the hotel fine but not sure if I've done any lasting damage? The car is on 54k miles 2.0 tdi Any advice would be great
    If it is still on factory clutch, I think they start to go around 50-70k depending on driving style anyway so at worst you just helped it along. Were you trying to "rock the car" out? Other than that I cant see a reason the situation would be brutal to the clutch unless im missing somethin?

... or ure bad at gettin unstuck :P
    Last edited by wuta3; 24th May 2013 at 23:50.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

5th Gear

Status
    was it clutch or tyre smoke due to them spinning in the mud?

5th Gear

Status
    Im on my standard clutch still and running hybrid turbo stage 2 at 1.7bar 341ft lb torque would worry mate you will notice it slipping before it goes so until that keep driving likenits fine as it most probably is
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Enthusiast

Status
    Those things happen every now and again. Just carry on driving and don't let that bother you too much.
    VCDS USER

Neutral

Status
    Thanks for the responses lads, yea it's still on the factory clutch but I drive quite carefully so I was hoping It would last me a fair bit longer before needing to be replaced..

I didn't actually smell anything but they were sure it was the cluth rather than the tires.. I was edging forward and then the wheels would just spin out for around 20 seconds I did this 3 or 4 times.. I guess it's the same as getting stuck on ice.. I can't remember if the clutch was engaged but if it was would I be a massive problem?

I guess people must do this all the time in winter and I don't hear too much about lasting damage but I just want to confirm this is the case?
    2.0 TDi S-Line | BOSE | iPod | Full Leather | Electric Mirrors | Armrest | Rear Tints | Diamond Vision | MY11's