forge catch can kit for S3

AdriansS3

Reaction score
I want to look at upgrading to the forge catch can kit before I go to stage 2+ but have noticed on GNJ s website it says it doesn't fit 2009 S3s onwards with xenons.
What have other people done who have upgraded the pcv system on cars 2009 onwards.
Thanks

catch can fits, but windscreen washer fluid replacement bottle neck doesnt fit straight.

i wouldn't bother with it ...as its alters the pressure in the head.. ive seen a few heads fail cause of catch cans just leave it as is

Really. I thought these were recommended on a tuned engine to help longevity. I thought the standard pcv system was known to be poor.Confused now!

i wouldn't bother with it ...as its alters the pressure in the head.. ive seen a few heads fail cause of catch cans just leave it as is

Interesting.

I've not seen this reported before.
What exactly happened to each of the heads?

Really. I thought these were recommended on a tuned engine to help longevity. I thought the standard pcv system was known to be poor.Confused now!

I wouldn't say they help longevity but they do reduce the amount of muck ingested by the inlet valves.

It will not completely eradicate that though.

I want to look at upgrading to the forge catch can kit before I go to stage 2+ but have noticed on GNJ s website it says it doesn't fit 2009 S3s onwards with xenons.
What have other people done who have upgraded the pcv system on cars 2009 onwards.
Thanks

I have the xenons and use this kit, think forge adapted it a while back. The kit comes with a silicon washer fill neck so it fits fine. Just make sure you buy the right kit (with or without carbon canister)

yes the PCV system is weak and poor and expensive to maintain but there arent any better alternative as of yet maybe 1 -2 years down the track might find some better PCV systems for the 2.0 tfsi engines....

if the head is still available ill send you guys a picture of the head when head to my mates workshop

yes the PCV system is weak and poor and expensive to maintain but there arent any better alternative as of yet maybe 1 -2 years down the track might find some better PCV systems for the 2.0 tfsi engines....

if the head is still available ill send you guys a picture of the head when head to my mates workshop

What I'd be interested to know is how your mate is so sure it's pressure changes induced by the catch can that caused the problems.

Reason is firstly I've run a catch can system on this engine for 30 000 miles,and secondly used oil separator systems on other engines with no problems.

sorry couldnt get a picture... of the rocker cover ... but having the PCV plate changed and or fitting a catch can... will interfere with your crank case pressure inturn damaging the one valve in the rocker cover (due to your blocking it off)..

Last edited:
What I'd be interested to know is how your mate is so sure it's pressure changes induced by the catch can that caused the problems.

Reason is firstly I've run a catch can system on this engine for 30 000 miles,and secondly used oil separator systems on other engines with no problems.

not sure but here in OZ not many are fitting catch cans due to that problem.. trust me Alex i would love nothing more then to make sure half the gunk doesnt go back into the engine

It would be good if you had some hard proof Sevv,not saying your making it up but it will be interesting to know.

It would be good if you had some hard proof Sevv,not saying your making it up but it will be interesting to know.

well i guess a few people will know soon enough i guess, ive seen the rocker cover and the damage... i mean its not hard to change or expensive to change the rocker cover ... so i would think its a disaster fitting one.

and no im strictly not making this up, Seb @ Euro Automotive is quite known here in OZ so i trust his word... as such i sold my catch can and forge DV .... as they were useless

sorry couldnt get a picture... of the rocker cover ... but having the PCV plate changed and or fitting a catch can... will interfere with your crank case pressure inturn damaging the one valve in the rocker cover (due to your blocking it off)..

Regardless of the lack of pictures or other hard evidence,it's something that we just haven't seen over here.

I would have thought that if any cars were going to run raised crank and cam cover pressures,it would have been cars like mine,S3-Dan's(which was previously owned by Jonny Cocker) and so on,but none of these cars have suffered catastrophic head failures,so either we're all lucky,or it's not as big a problem as is being made out.

Regardless of the lack of pictures or other hard evidence,it's something that we just haven't seen over here.

I would have thought that if any cars were going to run raised crank and cam cover pressures,it would have been cars like mine,S3-Dan's(which was previously owned by Jonny Cocker) and so on,but none of these cars have suffered catastrophic head failures,so either we're all lucky,or it's not as big a problem as is being made out.

its not as a big issue really as i stated before rocker cover and gasket would probably set you back 50-70 pounds so its not so bad and easily changeable...

ill keep asking him to find the rocker cover .. with the 100's of parts laying about