Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

forge catch can kit for S3

I want to look at upgrading to the forge catch can kit before I go to stage 2+ but have noticed on GNJ s website it says it doesn't fit 2009 S3s onwards with xenons.
    What have other people done who have upgraded the pcv system on cars 2009 onwards.
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    catch can fits, but windscreen washer fluid replacement bottle neck doesnt fit straight.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    i wouldn't bother with it ...as its alters the pressure in the head.. ive seen a few heads fail cause of catch cans just leave it as is

Neutral

Status
    Really. I thought these were recommended on a tuned engine to help longevity. I thought the standard pcv system was known to be poor.Confused now!

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sevv View Post
    i wouldn't bother with it ...as its alters the pressure in the head.. ive seen a few heads fail cause of catch cans just leave it as is
    Interesting.

I've not seen this reported before.
    What exactly happened to each of the heads?

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriansS3 View Post
    Really. I thought these were recommended on a tuned engine to help longevity. I thought the standard pcv system was known to be poor.Confused now!
    I wouldn't say they help longevity but they do reduce the amount of muck ingested by the inlet valves.

It will not completely eradicate that though.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AdriansS3 View Post
    I want to look at upgrading to the forge catch can kit before I go to stage 2+ but have noticed on GNJ s website it says it doesn't fit 2009 S3s onwards with xenons.
    What have other people done who have upgraded the pcv system on cars 2009 onwards.
    Thanks
    I have the xenons and use this kit, think forge adapted it a while back. The kit comes with a silicon washer fill neck so it fits fine. Just make sure you buy the right kit (with or without carbon canister)
    Ibis S3 8P3 - Airlift V2 / S63 AMG wheels / RS3 Grill / Recaros
    Previous: Polo 6n2 20vt / S3 8L GT28
    Instagram: @bradraistrick

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-s...s3-thread.html

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    yes the PCV system is weak and poor and expensive to maintain but there arent any better alternative as of yet maybe 1 -2 years down the track might find some better PCV systems for the 2.0 tfsi engines....

if the head is still available ill send you guys a picture of the head when head to my mates workshop

Rarely neutral

Status
    yes the PCV system is weak and poor and expensive to maintain but there arent any better alternative as of yet maybe 1 -2 years down the track might find some better PCV systems for the 2.0 tfsi engines....

if the head is still available ill send you guys a picture of the head when head to my mates workshop
    What I'd be interested to know is how your mate is so sure it's pressure changes induced by the catch can that caused the problems.

Reason is firstly I've run a catch can system on this engine for 30 000 miles,and secondly used oil separator systems on other engines with no problems.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    sorry couldnt get a picture... of the rocker cover ... but having the PCV plate changed and or fitting a catch can... will interfere with your crank case pressure inturn damaging the one valve in the rocker cover (due to your blocking it off)..
    Last edited by Sevv; 27th May 2013 at 07:57.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    What I'd be interested to know is how your mate is so sure it's pressure changes induced by the catch can that caused the problems.

Reason is firstly I've run a catch can system on this engine for 30 000 miles,and secondly used oil separator systems on other engines with no problems.
    not sure but here in OZ not many are fitting catch cans due to that problem.. trust me Alex i would love nothing more then to make sure half the gunk doesnt go back into the engine

Status
    It would be good if you had some hard proof Sevv,not saying your making it up but it will be interesting to know.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    It would be good if you had some hard proof Sevv,not saying your making it up but it will be interesting to know.
    well i guess a few people will know soon enough i guess, ive seen the rocker cover and the damage... i mean its not hard to change or expensive to change the rocker cover ... so i would think its a disaster fitting one.

and no im strictly not making this up, Seb @ Euro Automotive is quite known here in OZ so i trust his word... as such i sold my catch can and forge DV .... as they were useless

Rarely neutral

Status
    sorry couldnt get a picture... of the rocker cover ... but having the PCV plate changed and or fitting a catch can... will interfere with your crank case pressure inturn damaging the one valve in the rocker cover (due to your blocking it off)..
    Regardless of the lack of pictures or other hard evidence,it's something that we just haven't seen over here.

I would have thought that if any cars were going to run raised crank and cam cover pressures,it would have been cars like mine,S3-Dan's(which was previously owned by Jonny Cocker) and so on,but none of these cars have suffered catastrophic head failures,so either we're all lucky,or it's not as big a problem as is being made out.

Pushing the limits..

Status

My Social Networking

Add Sevv on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Regardless of the lack of pictures or other hard evidence,it's something that we just haven't seen over here.

I would have thought that if any cars were going to run raised crank and cam cover pressures,it would have been cars like mine,S3-Dan's(which was previously owned by Jonny Cocker) and so on,but none of these cars have suffered catastrophic head failures,so either we're all lucky,or it's not as big a problem as is being made out.

its not as a big issue really as i stated before rocker cover and gasket would probably set you back 50-70 pounds so its not so bad and easily changeable...

ill keep asking him to find the rocker cover .. with the 100's of parts laying about