S Tronic advice on 170ps Diesel

Richard Peters

Reaction score
Website
www.richardpeters.co.uk
Hi folks, following on from my recent first thread, I have changed directions and not going for the car I saw at a local Audi dealer (long story but partly wasn't happy with service I was given). However on Sunday I'm now going to look at what appears to be a beautiful example of a 2010 Black Edition with S Tronic.

I've no experience of these at all, so have done a bit of searching on the forums to get some info but would like to hear user experiences from anyone who has this engine and gearbox combo. I've read some comments online that say this box isn't suited to diesels and others that say they are the perfect combination!

I do love to drive, so my real worry would be that I'd grow bored of the experience of not having a manual, however many have said the way S Tronic behaves in manual mode gives you almost as much fun. I've read a few comments about how the car can get confused as to what gear it's in when rolling up to roundabouts etc but that seems to be rare and more so something that I guess isn't an issue in manual mode.

Apologies for the waffle! I guess really what I want to know is:

a) Is there any quirks of this system to be aware of
b) major problems to look for when checking the car out (it's done 30k miles)
c) How much worse is the fuel consumption compared to a manual with this engine (I see tax is more too)
d) are S tronic models any different performance wise, slower, faster, generally about the same?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

I have the 170 dsg....upgraded from the 140 manual!

I love it and will probably never buy a manual again! I regulay get 50mpg+. Make use the dsg oil and filter have been changed when it should have and im lead to belive they are faster 0-60 wise than the manual!

The manual paddles and stick aint really up to much but in sport i think you would struggle to beat it!

Test drive one you wont be dissapointed!

Reactions: Richard Peters
Thanks for the reply Dex. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. Is it not up to much in manual then using the paddles?

My advice would be to go for a long test drive with the car, trying out as many different traffic conditions as possible. Stronic takes a bit of getting used to, once you've cracked it it's amazing fun. The changes are quick and sharp.

Make sure you thoroughly test it, on my car I used to experience very violent jerks when shifting in the lower gears. This went on for 2.5 years until they finally sorted it.

Overall it should be smooth, quick changes. It won't be as smooth as a traditional auto in my personal experience but then you're getting beautifully fast crisp changes.

If it's done 30k I don't think the DSG oil is due for another 10k (I may be wrong).

Reactions: Richard Peters
Thank you for the advice MadA3. I'll keep an eye out for gear changes.

I am going to head in to the Audi garage near my work tomorrow which coincidentally is where this car came from originally (now being sold private and out of London) so I'll ask them to look the car up on their system to see what work has been done with regards to oil change etc, as I know it comes with a full Audi service history.

Thank you for the advice MadA3. I'll keep an eye out for gear changes.

I am going to head in to the Audi garage near my work tomorrow which coincidentally is where this car came from originally (now being sold private and out of London) so I'll ask them to look the car up on their system to see what work has been done with regards to oil change etc, as I know it comes with a full Audi service history.

Yeah keep an eye out. Good idea to check the history, but I don't think the DSG oil is due till 40k so it might be a cost to factor in.

If the box is running correctly I'm almost certain you'll love it. I can't ever imagine going back to manual now, or even a normal auto!

Thanks for the reply Dex. I'm looking forward to seeing what it's like. Is it not up to much in manual then using the paddles?

I prefer manual on the stick than the paddles...when i first bough it i envisaged i would used the paddles all the time i must have used them about ten times collectively! If i feel the need for some speed of hit some nice twisties i put it in sport!

Its not that i dont like manual but i can never seem to change down smoothly i always seem to select the wrong gear and its not like you can feed the power in smoothly with clutch control!

Ultimately i would love to get the box reflashed!

Mine is around 110k miles and whilst it is jerky when cold going into reverse, every other time it is fine. I don't have the oil changed every 40k, I pay Audi extra to change the gearbox oil EVERY service which is normally around once a year.

My current car is a 2012 A3 2.0TDI-170 Sportback with an s-tronic box. Prior to that I have three other A3s with s-tronic boxes and like others have said, I would never want another manual. I drive in 'tiptronic' mode all the time and really enjoy my driving. I use both the centre stick and the paddles to change gear as and when I choose rather than leaving it to the box to decide. It's great fun driving through lanes and just clicking the paddles to change up and down. It's also nice on more main roads to accelerate and change up under full throttle in a split second.

Certainly give the s-tronic a try. When you get used to it you'll realise what you have been missing!!

The only thing that makes no sense to me is shifting with the gear stick, you press up to shift up and pull down to shift down, but when you change gear flat out your pushed into the back of your seat so the reverse would be better. However you really should be using the paddles :)