Turbo noise

L333fow

Reaction score
Right car was in at audi today with suspect boost leak causing this noise outcome was that there was a split hose to turbo which was replaced and also a seal was replaced on inter cooler hose after I mentioned a oil leak.
car does run better etc but there is still this noise which I'm unsure of when you accelerate and let off there is a dump of air (this is different noise now and only way I can describe is a mouse like sneeze) this only does it up to about third
now to me sounds like its dumping air but as far as I'm aware you don't have dump valves on diesels
its a 2.0 tdi

Stick a smoke tester on the intake system & check for leaks, also check vacuum system is perfectly sealed, audi could do both of these things if requested.

Well I'm presuming that has already being done today, I asked over the phone is the turbo ok and the reply was yes all noises from turbo are normal but a dump of air from a diesel doesn't sound right to me?

If you didnt tell audi to do it they will not do it lol but will still take £50 hour or whatever the rate is lol

Tests for boost leaks not many garages have one its weird why they dont have them but worthe getting it done as my intake pipe was loose and not connected onto turbo and found out as soon as smoke leak tested and they connected it up and turbo blew up 5 seconds after lol so i got excited and bought hybrid stage 2

I'd say the 'mouse sneeze' when taking foot off the accelerator during boost is pretty normal.
Had it for the past 4.5 years on two turbos.

I'd say the 'mouse sneeze' when taking foot off the accelerator during boost is pretty normal.
Had it for the past 4.5 years on two turbos.

how loud tho? This is pretty loud! Dump valve loud kinda like the hsr dumps they have on Subaru and evo!
as far as I was aware when standard air is recirc so noise is minimal

I'd say on mine it is audible but not extremely noisy. I actually like the sound.

Mate thats what mine sounded like the rubber hose that commects ontot he turbo compressor housing melted and tore away then it stayed disconnected for over a uear then finally had remap and wasnt holding boost very well so then noticed boost gaige was jumping everywhere, so finally got boost leak tested at mates tuning garage foubd out it was the intake hose boot then as soon as it was in 3rd gear under load the turbo blew up so save up just incase pal
ImageLook at old boot compared to new one

ImageNew hybrid compared to whats left of old turbo the housing smashed in pieces and shaft was in tiny pieces so couldn't figure out what was what lol

After you had the boot replaced did the sound stop? Audi replaced a 'hose' but noise is still there
you could describe it sounding like a laser gun in a cheap film ha