Removing Dashboard Phone Kit

geforce189

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently joined the forum, I've been lurking a lot as I'm on the verge of buying an A3. Just wanted to get some opinions on removing a phone kit from the dash as seen in the photo below - I've seen a few A3's for sale with this type of kit and it's not something I want nor need, will removing it leave holes in the dash or is it stuck on? If it was to be removed, is there anyway of making it good once removed or is it a case of trying to source a new dash?!

Any tips appreciated!

Mediaux

It will have a hole behind it the size of a golf ball!
Someone once said they would use some sort of expanding foam filler to fill up the area and then do something to make it match but i havent heard anything about that since.

id like to know where i can get an adaptor for mine for an iphone 5! as i think removing it will be more hastle than its worth.
My iphone currently holds its self in the tape player of the stereo! lol.

JJ.

I'd leave it alone if I were you!

As for the iPhone, surely it connects through the Bluetooth ok? The dock will only allow it to charge which you can do through the 12v socket anyway...

****** pointless idea or what. I don't even notice mine anymore but everyone who gets in the car always asks what it is. Eye saw is my reply

Ive just left mine in aswell. Its more hassle than its worth to remove it.

I'd leave it alone if I were you!

As for the iPhone, surely it connects through the Bluetooth ok? The dock will only allow it to charge which you can do through the 12v socket anyway...

Yeah i dont need it to connect to anything, but it would be nice to use it as an actual phone holder, as when i place it in my tape player it does look quite funny.

JJ.

OK - thanks all. I don't want that on the dash at all and if I can't remove it unless I replace the entire dash then that's going to limit my options when it comes to purchase. Seems silly but if you have to live with it long term then I'd rather not.

i cnt find where i can buy an adaptor for this. anyone got any ideas?

JJ.

You could buy a Brodit cradle and attach it to that unit somehow... Might be a bit bodge though.

In regards to fully removing, we have done it quite a few times and then had them sorted by a company called TrimTek in Poole, Dorset.

They would fill the hole and then use a special plastic and press to match the finish on the dash and it does look rather good.

I know Dorset isn't the most local or central place for everybody but they may know people in the industry local to you that are good...

Web is Trimtek Limited

Cheers

Reactions: testpilot4321
Agreed with the above i would leave it,i bought my S3 with one in and thought thats coming out until i saw the big square hole you have to cut,i dont even notice it anymore plus if they do bring out the adapter for your phone it will be handy for using your phone as a nav and having it there to look at etc,i havent even checked if they do the cradle for mine yet to be honest though which is the galaxy S4 samsung but the bluetooth links up perfect with contact details on the DIS etc and calls coming through the speakers and auto muting.

Im currently working on, removing it and placing an iphone 5 holder and wiring in a charger so i will update with pics and a brief guide when i have done it! authough i have just triggered my smyphony into safe mode somehow lol, i think it thinks im trying to rob it aha.

JJ.

Reactions: testpilot4321