H&R - Creaking Springs

SCFC_Messiah

Reaction score
Hi guys, had 50mm H&R lowering springs fitted around 10 months ago

I've recently noticed that if I turn the wheel quickly when moving very slowly or when stationary I can hear a creaking noise coming from the front springs. It's not a clunking or banging, more a creak that sounds like it's resonating through the springs themself. I had it on my previous car too, which was also lowered. I never bothered fixing it on that.

Just wondering if this is something I should worry about?

Last edited:
Thanks, will do

Searching Google and it seems a lot of other people on varying makes and models of cars have reported the same noise when turning at very low speed (usually when reverse parking and the like) with H&R springs. From what I can gather, it's not dangerous/indicative of a fault, just an annoying quirk?

I've heard it happens to lots of lowering springs not just H&R's. some lowering springs come with the coil wrapped in a plastic coating to stop them creaking. It's only because they are tightly wound and some of them touch, your standard ones would do the same if they were as tightly wound as lowering springs are.

How are you finding the H&R's, I've got some to go on mine soon?

Other than this minor creaking, great really. I'm happy with the stance and the ride isn't too harsh :thumbsup:

I heard they are not as harsh as standard S Line, can you comment?

Have you changed your top mounts recently? I had a creaking sound on a Saab when doing slow turns not all of the time but some of the time. The sound you are talking about sounds exactly like the same problem I had. It had Koni dampers and lowered springs. Changed the top mounts and the creaking noise stopped instantly. Dont know if its the same problem with yours Messiah but if its bugging you may be worth investigating.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. No I haven't changed them. I probably should've at the time I fitted the springs in hindsight. I think it was recommended to me, but the mechanic who fitted them said not to bother... so I didn't! Any idea how much it would cost for a garage to replace them?

I wouldn't say it's bugging me - I'll just turn my music up ;). I'd probably learn to live with it if I was confident it wouldn't cause any expensive/dangerous problems in the future

Thanks for the advice. No I haven't changed them. I probably should've at the time I fitted the springs in hindsight. I think it was recommended to me, but the mechanic who fitted them said not to bother... so I didn't! Any idea how much it would cost for a garage to replace them?

I wouldn't say it's bugging me - I'll just turn my music up ;). I'd probably learn to live with it if I was confident it wouldn't cause any expensive/dangerous problems in the future

Cost me £150 not including the parts. The top mounts for the Saab were not very expensive so I presume they wont be too expensive from Audi either. With regards not changing them and damage I don't really know but I have always been under the impression that with most car related things if you don't fix it that part will normally effect another part and then cause that part to fail too. :(

The creaking didn't originally bother me but it did get worse over time.