Another coilover thread ;)

ARH

Reaction score
I have got myself a 2006 A3 1.6 Fsi sport and now I'm looking to drop it about 40mm.

Would I be better off going for coils or springs?

Have never had any experience with lowering a car at all before this will be my first car I have lowered.

Budget of around £200 nothing too expensive may be able to stretch to 250, so what would people recommend ?

Any help would be great and sorry for another coilover thread!

Aaron

I lowered my 1.6 on H&R 45/50mm and i rate them A*. I would recommend springs if your not looking to mess about with the height.

£200 for coilovers would be a set of JOM's they are fairly good but you get what you pay for. Springs is my recommendation for your budget.

How much would a set of H&R springs set me back? Are they the best for the budget?

I was in the same position as you a few months ago, never lowered a car and didn't know whether to go for springs or coilovers. I went for AP coilovers in the end.

I knew if I got springs and if they weren't low enough or I didn't like how my car sat it'd annoy me hence my decision to go for coilovers so I can set them up easily to how I want.

That's exactly what I'm worried about

how much did your coilovers cost you mate? Are they good?

A lot people go for springs then aren't happy with the ride height so end up selling and getting coilovers. That's why, personally, I'd recommend coilovers but it depends how fussy you are.

Paid just over £400 for my AP coilovers IIRC, so maybe a bit above the budget you stated but as said, JOM's would be in your price bracket and many people run without any problems.

Ok mate I'm guessing these are the ones? http://bit.ly/13CPdKT

Also random question but what alloys are in your picture? I have the same alloys but in silver but not sure what they are.

Aaron

Yep, they're the ones. If you do a quick google search, you'll find loads of info on them. A few lads on this forum have got them/had them as well, TimG is the only one I can think off top of my head though, could drop him a PM to see what they were like for him.

I've also got the silver ones on my car but the ones in my picture are the earlier Black Edition wheels. Exactly same as the silver ones but obviously a darker, anthracite colour.

Had JOM's on my old a3, never again. It's just too rough for everyday use. Go expensive if your going coilovers with dampening adjustment.

Got some H&R 50mm springs for my current a3, haven't fitted them yet although I'm hoping they aren't too rough, bouncy and drop to a sensible useable everyday height.

Next up is air ride if I feel the springs aren't low enough and if I'm stupid enough to spend all that money!

JOM's are tat - they either rust or fall apart or both.

Save up and buy yourself a decent set like KW or Eibach.

I have got myself a 2006 A3 1.6 Fsi sport and now I'm looking to drop it about 40mm.

Would I be better off going for coils or springs?

Have never had any experience with lowering a car at all before this will be my first car I have lowered.

Budget of around £200 nothing too expensive may be able to stretch to 250, so what would people recommend ?

Any help would be great and sorry for another coilover thread!

Aaron

hi mate,

I have the 2005 1.6fsi I went down the coilover route as never lowered a car before I didn't know how low I wanted to go.
I bought a set of fk street coilovers for round about the £200 mark.

I've had them fitted a while now and have had no problems and ride isn't that bad either it's still comfortable.

I suggest at the least, looking at some pictures of cars using 45-50mm springs, you might find it's enough.

I would agree have a look at ones with springs fitted, again it all depends on how low you want to put your car as well.

How much would a set of H&R springs set me back? Are they the best for the budget?

Sorry for the late response I bought them for £190 I guess it was and still is, plus £60 for fitting a friend did. Ride height for me is perfect low enough and no rub issues, I wouldn't go any lower personally as I'm sure (humps in London) would catch on my bumper.

Also random question but what alloys are in your picture? I have the same alloys but in silver but not sure what they are.

Aaron

originally found on the new RS4, then black edition as mentioned, I believe they're officially called "Le Mans" alloys