Badger5AH Fabrications
    JPK
    1st Gear

Status

Steering wheel off centre

Have had this since installing a load of suspension parts. It sits at around 12-15 degrees to the left.
    The steering wheel has not been removed at any point and the alignment is perfect. It drives great and doesn't pull to the
    left.

Its driving me mad and I'm guessing its either the steering angle sensor has an issue and needs a reset through vcds.
    Or, there is an issue with the whiteline bump steer correction kit I have (aftermarket tie rod ends).

Has anyone had this before and can shed any light?
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Tracking needs re-setting with the steering wheel wedged in the straight ahead position.

1st Gear

Status
    fangio is right put you can cheat and take the wheel off and move it to a central position. although the width of the cogs may not make it 100% straight
    Phantom Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    Tracking needs re-setting with the steering wheel wedged in the straight ahead position.
    Is this done through vcds?
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

2nd Gear

Status
    No, places that do Digital allignment usually have a piece of kit that clamps the wheel in place while they adjust the tracking underneath.
    The lazy way of doing tracking is to just adjust one side, which pulls the other into line but knocks the steering wheel off centre. Sometimes this gets done if one side is siezed or both and they just couldn't be bothered to free off both. Best to get it done right then you shouldn't have any issues.

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    I'm a little confused as the place I used does loads of performance and race cars on their hunter digital alignment machine .
    They swore black and blue the alignment was perfect and I showed my mechanic the alignment report and he agreed.
    The car doesn't track to the left excessively. The physical position of the steering wheel is off centre all of the time.
    It doesn't pull to the left when driving, it permanently sits to the left. If I straighten the wheel the car veers to the right at a 12-15 degree angle .

1st Gear

Status
    having a steering wheel that doesn't sit central is not an indication that the tracking is out, in fact eveytime i have had tracking done the steering wheel is slightly off centre, one way or another.
    Phantom Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant

Audi Retrofitter

Status
    North, East, South, West London & Dartford in Kent

My Social Networking

Visit Ash187's Instagram Channel
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI
    Dark Headlining, Bose, Alcantara Leather, Lights Pack

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale
    Read My Blog & Build Thread

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    Do you mean that VCDS is reporting that the steering is off centre or does your steering actually look off centre??

Also, is your car lowered??

I had the same issue with my old car and it was due to the alignment being done using the standard height A3 settings rather than the lowered Sport settings.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4VE View Post
    having a steering wheel that doesn't sit central is not an indication that the tracking is out, in fact eveytime i have had tracking done the steering wheel is slightly off centre, one way or another.
    If the wheel was straight before the work, then a bum job has been done on the tracking. It doesn't necessarily mean that the tracking is not correct!

And if your wheel has been put off-centre, then that was a bum job, too. (This all depends if the wheel was straight in the first place, of course....)

JPK
    1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ads View Post
    Do you mean that VCDS is reporting that the steering is off centre or does your steering actually look off centre??

Also, is your car lowered??

I had the same issue with my old car and it was due to the alignment being done using the standard height A3 settings rather than the lowered Sport settings.
    yes it is lowered. The steering wheel looks off centre

1st Gear

Status
    wont a steering wheel re calibration sort it out? i had to do this when i fitted my MFSW. something about vcds and turning the steering wheel full left and then full right lock.

maybe this would sort it for you?
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by WALTO TDI View Post
    wont a steering wheel re calibration sort it out? i had to do this when i fitted my MFSW. something about vcds and turning the steering wheel full left and then full right lock.

maybe this would sort it for you?
    already posted the link on how to do this... waiting to see if the OP does it and if it fixes the issue
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:
    S3 facelift, 19" RS6, RS3 Grill, TTRS FBMFSW, A5 S-Line Heated Seats, Bi-Xenons, Auto Lights & Wipers, Eibach Sportlines, S3 brakes, Cruise, Pioneer HU, Reverse Camera, OEM Parking Sensors, Auto Folding & Dimming Dumbo Mirrors, LED Tail Lights, S3 Pedals, Tints, Carbon Trims.

Items for Sale

5th Gear

Status
    Surely, as the link between wheel and rack is mechanical, no amount of electrickery will alter it?

Audi Retrofitter

Status

My Social Networking

thats what i thought when the idiots at ATS messed up my steering.
    After i had the car lowered and 19s put on the car i went to get the tracking done as you do, left it with ATS in Camden (north London)... these monkeys had it for 3 hours and gave it back to me after work saying they cant do it and blamed the mechanic for not fitting on the springs properly, they didnt charge me but asked me to come back once i sorted out the suspension. i didnt realise it at first but as i drove up the road the car kept pulling to the right so to compensate i had to hold the wheel about 45degrees to the left.

the next day i took it to the mechanic to check it over and they just laughed saying that the idiots dont know what they are doing and the 'gap' at the top of the springs that ATS where complaining about was just some left over residue of grease.
    Needless to say i didnt take it back to the monkeys, instead took it to Elite in Essex who sorted out the tracking on the machines and gave me a print out but on the test run they said that the wheel needs to be held to the left for the car to go straight... for some reason the 3 days that i drove the car with the wheel tilted was being remembered by the steering angle sensor. Luckily for me i carry my VCDS with me in the car so i just reset it there and then and it started to work perfectly again.
    A3 Sportback 2.0TDI

MODS:

Items for Sale

5th Gear

Status
    Gonna get my manual out!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fangio View Post
    Surely, as the link between wheel and rack is mechanical, no amount of electrickery will alter it?
    Im quite sure that this can be sorted via VCDS as in Ash187 post. has something to do with the slip ring i think.
    A3 2.0TDI S LINE, Awesome remapped, ITG, Milltek, S3 Front + Rear bumpers + Sideskirts, Cruise and slammed on coilovers. NO SMOKE - NO POKE!!!!!

5th Gear

Status
    The steering is on the right as your car is a right hand drive haha - Pee take sorry lol,
    get tracking 4 wheels alignment done it will sort it out
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

5th Gear

Status
    Scan in your Hunter Alignment Printout (before and after) and post it up on here please.
    We can go from there.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG