• 1 Post By JJ.Foulds
  • 1 Post By MattyW19
  • 1 Post By cazza1729

Thread: Selling car - Need some advice please

2nd Gear

Status

Selling car - Need some advice please

Hi guys,

I've got my A3 for sale on eBay for £14,995. Initially I wanted anything above the £14,500 mark, however a dealer has been in contact offering £14,000 with no hassle. Now after abit of thinking, I decided to go for the offer of £14,000 - Is this reasonable for a 11 Plate A3 1.4 TFSI S Line with 22,000 miles? It's like new by the way!

He did ask if I'd be prepared to knock £100 off for him to come up as he lives 200 miles away, which quite frankly annoyed me a little. He did offer a deposit before viewing the car too?

He's asked if he can pick it up on Monday. However he hasn't been in contact over the phone, but just on eBay messaging? When he does turn up, I presume he will be paying by bank transfer. Is there anyway he can possibly withdraw the money out of my account? I've checked his sellers items, and he has 20+ cars for sale.

If you could give me some kind advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Picked up on the 30th May!

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

WWW.APR-REMAPS.CO.UK

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyW19 View Post
    Hi guys,

I've got my A3 for sale on eBay for £14,995. Initially I wanted anything above the £14,500 mark, however a dealer has been in contact offering £14,000 with no hassle. Now after abit of thinking, I decided to go for the offer of £14,000 - Is this reasonable for a 11 Plate A3 1.4 TFSI S Line with 22,000 miles? It's like new by the way!

He did ask if I'd be prepared to knock £100 off for him to come up as he lives 200 miles away, which quite frankly annoyed me a little. He did offer a deposit before viewing the car too?

He's asked if he can pick it up on Monday. However he hasn't been in contact over the phone, but just on eBay messaging? When he does turn up, I presume he will be paying by bank transfer. Is there anyway he can possibly withdraw the money out of my account? I've checked his sellers items, and he has 20+ cars for sale.

If you could give me some kind advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Run your reg through we buy any car and similar sites theyre usually bang on the money with regards to values if the condition is as expected see if they offfer you more than 14k.
    A3 2.0 TDI SLINE MY09 PHANTOM BLACK -MODS - APR TRICORE REMAP 175 BHP, XENONSHOP SPECIAL CANBUS HID KIT, LED DRL CONVERSION, 19" RS4 ALLOYS, H&R SPRINGS, PRIVACY GLASS, ARMREST, HEATED SEATS, PDC, IPOD DOC, BLU-TOOTH PREP, COMFORT LIGHT PACK, INTERIOR ELEC LUMBER, S3 GRILL.

Status
    I read this when I was selling mine,you have to be careful
    Citizens Advice - Selling a car

Direct money transfers or CHAPS payments

Direct money transfers are quick and you’ll know the money is real as soon as it’s in your account. But remember, asking a buyer to pay you in this way will mean you are giving them your bank account details, so it may not be the safest way.
    MattyW19 likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    when selling... trust no one
    MattyW19 and autolatry like this.

5th Gear

Status
    giving someone your account number and sort code is safe, its on every cheque you would write and shown on your bank card. They could only setup a direct debit if they had your registered address, but you are protected from fraud anyway.

Bank transfers are completely safe and non reversible.

JJ.
    MattyW19 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    giving someone your account number and sort code is safe, its on every cheque you would write and shown on your bank card. They could only setup a direct debit if they had your registered address, but you are protected from fraud anyway.

Bank transfers are completely safe and non reversible.

JJ.
    The above is correct.

Once they've done the transfer, call your bank from your phone and make sure the money is in as cleared funds. Once you have confirmation money is in then you're protected - tell bank why you're asking so its recorded.

Sometimes it can take a while for funds to go through esp if his bank flags or up for further fraud checks.
    MattyW19 likes this.
    S3 Sportback

5th Gear

Status
    But with him being a car dealer, i would guess his bank would expect that sort of money transfers and probably not flag it anyway. But yes make sure its fully cleared just incase.

Good job i know more about this than cars! ha.

JJ.
    MattyW19 likes this.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ.Foulds View Post
    But with him being a car dealer, i would guess his bank would expect that sort of money transfers and probably not flag it anyway. But yes make sure its fully cleared just incase.

Good job i know more about this than cars! ha.

JJ.
    True but sounds as though he is going to transfer £14k over the phone to a new beneficiary if he's going to visit to collect the car. Usu you go to dealers and not the other way around but I could just be paranoid. How is the dealer travelling to you? Public transport?
    Last edited by Wicked666; 19th May 2013 at 21:37.
    S3 Sportback

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers for the responses guys - I will for sure miss this forum! He's been in touch today, so I've asked him to phone me tomorrow morning to arrange everything and to pick up tomorrow (Monday).

I presume he will be paying by Bank Transfer - Thank you for the Citizens advice link, and the information above - I found that really reassuring thank you! I'll be popping to the bank tomorrow, to ask about the clearing of funds and if there is a number I can phone (I will state that the car has just been sold so that have that on record).

I have always been abit worried giving out account numbers out etc, so thats much better that they can't do a charge back and draw the funds back. I presume he'll be driving up with a transporter of some sort?

I'll keep you all informed, but as per usual you've been a great help thank you!
    Kelza likes this.

2013 '13' Plate - Audi TT 1.8 TFSI S Line Roadster | Ibis White | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather/Suede with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim

Gone but won't be forgotten! 2011 '11' Plate - Audi A3 1.4 TFSI S Line | Ibis White | Privacy Glass | iPod Dock | Xenon Headlights with LED DRL | Half Leather with Silver Stitching | Brushed Aluminium Trim | S3 Pedals

Filthy Oil Burner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by andi1 View Post
    Run your reg through we buy any car and similar sites theyre usually bang on the money with regards to values if the condition is as expected see if they offfer you more than 14k.
    Webuyanycar.com are extremely far from bang on the money! They are currently under investigation by the media for hard bargaining by giving you one price online then knocking hundreds or even thousands off that price when you get to the dealer for extremely minor points like faded leather etc.

Don't ever use them!
    MacrosTheBlack likes this.
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

1st Gear

Status
    For what its worth i looked at an approved used 1.4TFSI S-Line Sportback a few weeks ago - 20k miles, bose, xenons, roof rails etc. Delaer had it up for £17k which pobably could have been haggled down a bit. Given they'd probably want £2.5k between buy in and outsell (to cover service, prep etc as well as a healthy margin) then £14k doesn't seem a bad offer for a quick, no hassle sale.

If you advrtised privately at £14.5k , any buyer would want it for £14k anyway.

Just don't hand over V5 paperwork or keys until you know the money is safely in your bank, and then transfer it into another account asap.

2nd Gear

Status
    Car has just gone, was a trouble free transaction and the guy loved it - Said it was the best condition cars he's baught in the business!

Thanks for the help guys, I'm hopefully changing to a TT Roadster now so I'll still be hanging around this forum

Cheers Matty