High mileage 2.0 TDI DSG, do they carry the miles well? and bye S2000

SideShowBob

Reaction score
On Saturday, I test drove an A3 2.0 TDi sport s-line DSG, and liked it so much, I bought it.
Only thing is, it already has 42000 miles on it (in just over a year!!), and as someone who does approx 18k miles per year, in two years its going to have close to 80k miles on it.

As these cars are relatively new out (its an 04 btw), I was wondering whether anyone had proven the DSG gearbox reliability, build quality of the car, and general reliability up to this sort of mileage, and if so, how do they hold up?

Really chuffed with the car overall, and pick it up around the 28th (possibly sooner if S2k sells), and am amazed that ive been taken with not only an automatic, but a diesel automatic!! as little as 6 months ago, I wouldnt have even considered one, I believed a car should be a proper "drivers" car, and managed to ignore all the benefits of a well rounded car like an A3.

My point of view changed when I took a look at the mileage I cover 90% of the time, and realised I pay out to sit and queue in traffic to work and back, then on the weekend, queue into town, so having a revvy sports car with a lot fewer comforts becomes rather pointless.

A diesel DSG on the other hand is peferct, a good climate control, Bose sound system, comfortable seats, a nice ride, and lots of low down grunt, suddenly become much more enoyable factors that ill be making almost constant use of, and althou ive really enjoyed the S2k for the past couple years, for me its time has passed.

Looking forward to the change, loved the power delivery of the TDi, and found that my main diesel reservation (running out of revs due to the relatively small rev range and having to change up or hit the limiter, usually mid overtaking manouver) has been seen to due to the superb DSG box, its just a case of putting your foot down. Hopefully Audi build quality means it'll last the course, cant be the highest DSG equiped A3 here could it?

Hi there, did you used to be on the Civic Type R Owners Forum by chance?

Anyway back to the question. I wouldn't be worried about the build quality, Audi's are built to last. Also a good diesel will run forever.

DSG - well the debate goes on if it is a Manual, Automatic or something else /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

The box itself should be fine, check with the dealer to see if it has had to be replced, if nothing then it should be fine.

Marc

This occurred to me the other day as well.
Clutches all need replacing at some point,so how is that done in a DSG and how much does it cost ?
Will that make high mileage DSG's less desirable ?

Cheers all, and I did frequent the CTR forum for a while Boyakasha, remember seeing you on there.

100k miles sounds okay, I imagine it would be a massively expensive job though, but im sure ill be driving something else by then (most likely another Audi!!).

So, anyone want to buy an S2000? Im getting really impatient waiting till the 28th!!

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget the warranty will cover you untill 2007...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the warranty not 3years/60k miles whichever comes first?

Interesting post Bob - partly because the cost of re-lining a DSG clutch had also occurred to me (I bought manual) - & admittedly does sound expensive (but I'm sure will have many miles service in it - no clumsy left foot to slip it etc). But also 'cos I fairly drool over the S2000 & would have said I'd swap my TDI for one without a minutes thought. Do take your point however about the cost of sitting in traffic - same here & not sure I could afford it ...
But would love to know how your TDI shapes up next to the Honda??

Must admit, I test drove the S2000 when trying to decide which way to go with the new car.

It's a fantastic drivers car and will bite you in the *** if you're complacent or inexperienced with rwd (I am on both accounts and it did, fortunately at very low speeds)

And for those of you that have complained about noise in the A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif Drive an S2000 then you'll know what noise is.

Brief summary of my 2 day experience in an S2000? Fantastic engine, fantastic drive, fantastic looks. Absolutley ****** interior (typical jap) However, i would have one, but only as a second car.

I think you'll enjoy the reverse comparison /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif The first 4000rpm where you're waiting for the S2000 to get going is where it all happens in a 2.0tdi.

Enjoy.

Definitely different ends of the spectrum, which im looking forward too, have owned high revving, very focussed cars for the past 3 or so years, Integra Type-R, RX7 TT, a, ahem, Clio 172 Cup, and the S2000, so am actually looking forward to the change.
I love the S2000, and its taken a lot of willpower to decide to swap it for something else, but then variety is always a good thing.

The A3 has qualities that at the moment suit my situation better, and Audi do make a hell of a car, I had a lot of fun on the test drive, which I really wasnt expecting, so althou its a very different car, its still got potential to be an enjoyable one, rather than simply an A to B car.

Ill be sure to update my views on the Audi vs the S2000 when ive had it a short while, and hopefully I still feel like ive made the right choice!!

Hopefully things like DSG last the course, Ive seen a few niggles posted about them, and its a relatively new technology (from what I understand?), so I suppose we're almost like the long term guinea pigs as to how long they last with daily miles along UK roads, im guessing that the increased torque of the TDi would put more load onto it? but then the 3.2 seems to get on with it happily enough, so they must have confidence in its ability to handle it.

Been hovering around Audis for a while now, almost went older S3 route, then almost went A3 3.2 DSG route, and finally ended up with a 2.0 TDi!! It seems the best all rounder for the money.

Pardon for changing the subject but Eeef - about that avatar - I'm sure she's someone I know...