Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    Filthy Oil Burner

Status

RNS-E + BOSE = spilt eardrums

Popped a RNS-E into my car and with the Bose sound system it is DEAFENING, and not in a good way, the chick from the Satnav voice is breaking me.

I've tried going through the system to turn down the volume but its on its lowest settings, if I were to plug it into VCDS will I be able to turn it down further or do I need to invest in earplugs?

Its not just me being weak, after nearly five years in the army my left ear is pretty rubbish anyway, but its still really loud.
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

2. # ADS
    ADS

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    All the volume controls are within the setup/sound menu, so I cant see how the voice can be a problem overall & you can easily adjust treble/bass & lower volume if need be, never been an issue I've come across as long as installed properly.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Filthy Oil Burner

Status
    On my iPhone app it is reading at 95 decibels which is just less than a chainsaw! I'll try adjusting all the treble etc down but the normal radio volume doesn't affect the Nav voice.

Thanks

Stop me

Status
    When the nav is speaking, use the volume adjuster.
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

Filthy Oil Burner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by immolator View Post
    When the nav is speaking, use the volume adjuster.
    That doesn't turn Her down, just the radio volume.

3rd Gear

Status
    Hsve you tried turning done the volume while she is speaking ? Also did you get the current cable adaptor there s a Bose and a none Bose version.
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

Stop me

Status
    Then something isn't right I can tell you that much.
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

Filthy Oil Burner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbyfan View Post
    Hsve you tried turning done the volume while she is speaking ? Also did you get the current cable adaptor there s a Bose and a none Bose version.
    Its a 2012 RNSE that has been working fine, Plug-n-play with no dramas apart form the volume. Didn't realise there was a Bose specific cable, what would that connect into? The only other thing that I thought the RNS-E needed was the GPS antenna which is now stuck under my dash.

3rd Gear

Status
    The Bose amp in the boot is connected differently than in cars without Bose, so there are definitely 2 different cable harnesses. That being said if its just the nav voice that's too loud I'm not sure why the cable harness would make a difference.
    2003 A4 Cab 2.4 V6 Manual / 43k miles genuine woohoo (on a 10 year old car lol) / Ebony Black Metallic / Full Grey Leather / Fully Electric Seats / Heated Seats / Interior Light Pack / Cruise / Wood / Bose Symphony II / Black roof

Filthy Oil Burner

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabbyfan View Post
    The Bose amp in the boot is connected differently than in cars without Bose, so there are definitely 2 different cable harnesses. That being said if its just the nav voice that's too loud I'm not sure why the cable harness would make a difference.
    Everything that I unplugged from the Symphony got plugged into the RNS-E (in addition to the GPS receiver), theres a little volume variation between radio stations but the satnav chick is seriously loud.

Audi Heaven

Status
    They aren't plug and play totally. The RNS-e needs to be coded for Bose for one and one of the wires on the plug needs to be moved from pin5 to 7.

The volume should be adjust while the Nav is talking though... If it doesn't then the unit has an issue I would suggest.
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack

Filthy Oil Burner

Status
    Thanks for the advice, I'll adjust the pins and get it coded next time its in with my fixer.

1st Gear

Status
    Jumping on the back of this, is there a way to set a low start up volume for the radio and media player hen turning on the ignition?
    Ask admin to advertise here

4th Gear

Status
    If u got to nav menu and find settings or i think press the settings button along the bottom u can manually adjust the nav volume, it may be under a volume options menu. As for excessive noise elsewhere u need to fine tune it i reckon. What audio input are u using? Cos if ur using aux u need to disable any equalisers on the device ur using otherwise they double up with the equaliser in the rns-e and then it sounds like poop.
    2006 Audi A3 2.0 TDI S-Line 8P2 PD170 - Dolphin Grey Metallic - The problem child
    1994 VW Golf VR6 - Mystic Blue - The money thief
    VCDS User

Audi Heaven

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurfer View Post
    Jumping on the back of this, is there a way to set a low start up volume for the radio and media player hen turning on the ignition?
    Short answer is no. If you search the forum this has been discussed before as an annoyance of the 8P A3.....
    Scott

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0T Quattro S-Line 2007 8P2
    Lava Grey, Exclusive Line Black/Silver Leather, Heated Seats, Bose, RNS-e, iPod, Auto Lights & Wipers, Interior Light Pack