Volks AutosSky Insurance
    1st Gear

Status

Realistic Mpg figures for a A3 Quattro 170

Im sticking the Type r on autotrader next week once the front engine mounts done, and i have seen a lovely A3 2.0 170 Quattro S Line on an 07 plate with nice optional extras.

Anyway im just curious as to how much fuel i will save. Currently doing £200 a month in the Honda barely using it i decided i need a diesel.

So those of you who have them what are your realistic mpg figures and how much does it cost to fill the tank?
    How much more would you save (fuel wise) getting the FWD instead of the AWD or is there not much in it?

Also a few tips to look out for when buying one would be great as-well, do they have any common faults i should look out for? Its done nearly 80k miles.
    Last edited by Chris6t9; 18th May 2013 at 16:47.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Reverse Gear

Status
    Mine is averaging 50mpg at present, the majority of driving is 50-80 mph. Saying that it's never averaged below 40.

Make sure the Haldex oil has been changed every 20k, also worth checking the injector recall has been done correctly from my experience.

5th Gear

Status
    I get 48mpg - 50.5mpg and mines a 140 but tuned as you can see in my sig
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Neutral

Status
    We have a 170 Quattro (DPF delete & 205 BHP Remap- done before we got it) its got buckets of torque, smooth and progressive but a beast (for a diesel) when you want to be pushing on. we always run it on shell Vpower / nitro+ as it runs loads smoother and achieves slightly better mpg. we got ours at 83k and is now on 108k in just over 12 months just a case of keeping on top of the servicing, if you want mega miles from it stay away from the long life services and stick to 10k plan.

I commute 40miles each way 75% M4 & 25% A/B roads real world 42-50mpg. £75 to fill up and easy 500miles to a tank.

Just be aware of the DPF pitfalls, ensure it has an impeccable service history & injector recall has been carried out.

hope this helps

Chilly
    Past Motors
    Golf Tdi
    Fiesta Zetec S
    350z

Current Rides
    S3
    A3 TDI Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    I've got an average of 36.9mpg over 7435 miles. That includes the nurburgring / germany, a fair few trips on the bala road and a lots of motorway driving. Mine's the A3 Quattro S Line Sportback 170.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks for the reply guys

Chilly, it has full audi service history so would that have possibly been done regardless of the owners permission or knowledge?
    The person who is selling bought it from audi dealership 18 months ago from now, but ill ask him on this as-well.

500 miles to a tank! Holy crap!, them figures are mad, mind you, i am driving a 2 litre petrol! should easily half my bill then

I will most likely map it so the mpg should get even better!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris6t9 View Post
    Thanks for the reply guys

Chilly, it has full audi service history so would that have possibly been done regardless of the owners permission or knowledge?
    The person who is selling bought it from audi dealership 18 months ago from now, but ill ask him on this as-well.
    I am afraid not i have always had disappointing experience of Audi service departments and we've used a few. They claim to carry out a major service but the essentials like fuel filter, air filter, etc are always an option that is not included, hence why we use a trusted indy.

Along with this the knowledge, technical ability, diagnostic capabilities and proactiveness range vastly between there so called master technicians. they just don't listen for example when asked not to clean the car its always cleaned inside an out leaving dirty smear marks all over the glass .......... not that I'm too picky, id just rather do a decent job myself than fix someone else's half arsed attempt. I'm sure someone else will be along to say how fantastic there local dealer is but ive just not had an experience that has left me with the confidence the motor has been looked after and maintained to a half decent standard.

Anyways things to check are:
    -timing belt
    -haldex service every 40k
    -fuel filter intervals
    -injector recall

Another idea would be to call Audi UK to check what has been done & get an appraisal done by a good reputable independent before you hand over any cash.

hope this helps

Chilly
    Past Motors
    Golf Tdi
    Fiesta Zetec S
    350z

Current Rides
    S3
    A3 TDI Quattro

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks chilly ill be sure to check them out. Not the first i have heard that about audi either.....