Audi A3 8P Front Suspension Strut Diameter

MikeeMac

Reaction score
Hey guys, i've just bought a 2009 A3 8P 1.9 TDIe to add something economical to my car collection, the dealer is delivering it next week. In the mean time i am looking at suspension upgrades.

I've searched as much as possible on this forum and struggled to find any info on 1.9TDI suspension upgrades, I cant seem to find anything in relation to strut diameter..

I thought the 1.9TDI would have the same strut diameter as the 2.0 TDI (which users on this site have confirmed is 55mm).

BUT After a trip to my local Audi Parts department, i managed to find out that the strut diameter for my Chassis Number (1.9TDI Model) is actually 49.6mm (AKA 50mm)
Also found out that there are some 2 Litre models that use the 49.6mm strut also, they are not all 54.6 (55mm) like some users on this site have previously confirmed.

When i get my hands on the car next week i will be measuring the struts myself before purchasing any Coil-overs. I just don't wanna have any doubts.. just in case you are wondering, the 50mm and 55mm measurements are the size of the clamps that hold the strut in place, that's why the diameter of the strut is slightly slimmer.
Some resellers and Ebay shops are selling coil overs that specify '55mm strut' and fit 1.6L/1.9TDI/2.0L models of A3.. but do your measurements before purchasing, and dont trust the resellers, speak to Audi directly..

Websites like vagcat are showing all the diagrams and measurments necessary for the shock absorbers, BUT they don't specify different car models, they just say A3/S3 and nothing more specific, although each part number has a PR code, there is no database available (that i can find) which tells you which 'Model' of A3 the part is matched to.. that was very annoying.. all the databases that i found online for PR codes had a list of categories, but no car models.. it tells me that a PR-G22 or G31 is a 'Shock Absorber'.... but i know that much already from the vagcat website where i found the PR code in the first place.. i want the database to tell me that PR-G22 is a shock absorber for a 1.6 or 1.9 or 2.0 etc etc.

I will come back and inform you guys with the facts after i measure and Strut myself. I'll also give you my feedback on the springs that i choose, and explain how they were fitted etc etc..

If anybody has any info regarding the suspension on the 1.9TDI that might help me with my project, please share..

Thanks in advance

Later

Mac

If I remember correctly mate anything up to 2.0L is 50mm and anything 2.0L onwards is 55mm

I had this problem when going for my coilovers for my 1.6fsi.

I also to be certain measured my strut too with a vernier guage

hole this helps mate

That's what I thought too, a 1.9 would have the smaller diameter as would the smaller petrol models. Some 2.0 models may have the smaller dampers according to AUDI, but I bet not a UK spec car.

Thanks guys.. i will certainly update you once i get my hands on the car.. :)

so stuartm... your 1.6 fsi was 50mm right??

C_W... you may be right about the 2.0L being outside of UK spec.. personally i think the parts department in my local dealership were pretty poor in regards to finding the info on the system.. lots of confused faces over my questions.. lol

be safe....
Mac

Thanks guys.. i will certainly update you once i get my hands on the car.. :)

so stuartm... your 1.6 fsi was 50mm right??

C_W... you may be right about the 2.0L being outside of UK spec.. personally i think the parts department in my local dealership were pretty poor in regards to finding the info on the system.. lots of confused faces over my questions.. lol

be safe....
Mac

yes mate my diameter was 50mm on the 1.6Fsi.
Hope you get it sorted soon :)