A3 Cab - petrol or diesel - what spec?

Double Doom

Reaction score
Hello All,

I posted on here RE buying an A3 Cab last year and got some great advice.

Long story short - now going to buy an A3 Cab and wondering which one. Wife wants a diesel which I'm dead against. I've heard some tricky stuff about the TFSi petrol engine as well.

Anybody have any preferences and buying advice?

I quite like this... http://www.usedcarexpert.co.uk/buy/audi/a3/d-174041/id-9424330/

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Best

Doom

As said all over the place on here, it depends what kind of mileage you are doing?

Lots of pros and cons for both Petrols and Diesels, but as said what you choose will probably depend on mileage.

Sorry - should have put the mileage down - no more than 5 to 8k a year. I'm erring on the side of petrol at the moment.

Sorry - should have put the mileage down - no more than 5 to 8k a year. I'm erring on the side of petrol at the moment.

Based on mileage alone then its petrol, but don't expect much more than 35mpg from the 1.4TFSI engine on short trips and town driving. I also found the TFSI engine lacking in torque, needing to stir the gearstick far too often for my liking to make much in the way of spirited progress, and even then it was pretty leisurely but just accompanied by more engine noise.

Everyone to their own of course, but for short trips/low annual mileage and not being bothered about performance then the TFSI would seem logical in this case.