Creaking going over bumps

MadA3

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My A3 8P3 is 3.5 years old now and has covered 53k. Whenever I go over bumps it creaks quite loud, you can hear it inside the cabin quite loud.

I've tried pressing down on each corner when the car is stationary but I can't get the sound to happen.

Do you think I need to replace my shocks?

Check arb bushes & bushes in general, some wd40 would maybe help to find the issue.

Thanks NHN, I'll have a look at the weekend. Are the bushes hard to access?

Well placed torch for front/rear, take care if using a jack, always protect yourself, obviously do 1 at a time & drive to narrow down, I suspect front arb bushes only because mine did, until I sprayed half a can in the passengers lol.

Will do, great advice thanks mate. Half a can? lol! Still better than an expensive repair lol. Will the wheel have to come off? Sorry for all the questions, never really ventured near the car mechanically.

It was to exert a sustained spray pressure in between bush/metal, seemed to have worked as hasn't done since.

Cant recall which, but certain arb manufacturers supply a lube pack for this very thing when fitting to help push bush into place & afaik stop it squeaking.

Audi's front arb is a welded shut clamp/bush which has to be broken apart to lube & then use new bolts/washers to fit back on, so prefer wd40 way 1st before going extreme, audi would replace the whole bar which is ridiculous imho.

No you can do a full lock & reach in/under.

Oh perfect that makes it even easier. I'll have a go with some WD40 at the weekend then. Appreciate advice mate, will let you know how I get on.

Audi replacing the whole bar is a joke! Classic Audi way!

It is a little OTT, but in some way I understand the technical reason to a degree, for peace of mind, safety, effectiveness etc is where vag are at, which is why they replace most bolts for new when fitting new parts whereas allot of bolts are reusable tbh, but they cant afford a legal problem so uh on the side of caution I would hazard is there view.

NHN sorry to drag this up again but I've finally found some time to do this tomorrow. Can I safely use WD40 on the bushes? They are rubber right? I've done a bit more research and I think I know what I'm looking for, so my method is as you've said just zap the **** out of it with WD40 and hope that cures it! That's the best way right?

Thanks again mate.

I might have a pop at this too today. Get a bit of creaking when going over the bumps but it seems to disappear after a few minutes of driving.

I had this issue in my old car (Renault Clio) it only ever happened when the temperature was below something like 5 degrees. Renault wanted about 300 to replace and said they wasn't covered in my warranty

The wd40 is just to see if the noise subsides, it may not be the solution long term, it does however help to diagnose some squeaky bushes temporarily, see how you get on.

Had exactly the same issues on mine, but even after using WD40 the problem would return after a week or so. It actually turned out the top mount bearing was failing, dropped the strut down yesterday and the bearing just fell apart without touching it. Slipped in a new bearing & top mount (without removing the strut which is a nightmare) & its perfect again. If you do need to fit a new bearing & top mount use the RS3/TT parts, they're harder wearing & actually slightly cheaper.

Reactions: NHN
Slipped in a new bearing & top mount (without removing the strut which is a nightmare) & its perfect again. If you do need to fit a new bearing & top mount use the RS3/TT parts, they're harder wearing & actually slightly cheaper.

I have to agree, hate doing that job real pita.

Interesting, I may go look at those parts, thanks.