C V boot

alexi77

Old bloke with too much time on his hands.
Reaction score
Help please, my son has had his 2004 A4 3.2 quattro serviced at Main dealer, £600 !! and they said a new CV boot is req. don't know which one, front or rear.
They want £300 to fit a new boot !!!.
Anyone got the part number and are they the same cv please.
Thanks Alex.

Just the boot or the whole cv joint, as I'm sure that price must be for a joint, as my 05 cv boot cost about £190 fitted by audi, dealerships do tend to have flexible pricings lol.

I done mine yesterday myself cost me £5.99, got quotes from 2 Indy's and both were £80

When its in for an mot & its failed on this, when needed on the road for long drive next day & it needs to pass, you pay the £190 with a 2 year parts & labour warranty, £190 is nothing for peace of mind, it was an advisory the year before, so for me £190 for 2 years worth is nothing to worry about.

Also, you ever fitted a boot yourself, to remove wheel & associated parts, refitting, torqued up & done to the letter etc takes time to do, the dealer I use I trust 100% to be correct & showed me the issues on advisory & failure, so for me money well spent, others can choose there path as they see fit.

Reactions: martinivw
Ok fellas I understand, however I collected the car from the main dealer who wouldn't move on the cost and was adamant it was the same cost for replacing the boot or the joint? So we won't be going back to Audi in Bexley again. We will use an independant, probably 4 rings, I wonder if anyone has the Audi pat number please.
Alex

Thanks Nigel, had a bad experience there with a fuel pump, on this car actually, and my son won't go near there again.

Oh that's not good, it maybe the same cost to replace either as same job practically, but the actual joint kit will be allot more money than the boot parts alone, they vary depending on fwd/4wd etc, just call another dealer.

OMG Bexley are a bunch of Toss*rs!
Hate them lot. docklands audi were really good but they closed due to being too small and cramped.

look for some indys in the area that can sort you out mate, i use a few guys in East London area that are good and not over priced.

When its in for an mot & its failed on this, when needed on the road for long drive next day & it needs to pass, you pay the £190 with a 2 year parts & labour warranty, £190 is nothing for peace of mind, it was an advisory the year before, so for me £190 for 2 years worth is nothing to worry about.

Also, you ever fitted a boot yourself, to remove wheel & associated parts, refitting, torqued up & done to the letter etc takes time to do, the dealer I use I trust 100% to be correct & showed me the issues on advisory & failure, so for me money well spent, others can choose there path as they see fit.

Do it yourself mate! lol

null-13.jpg

Reactions: MacrosTheBlack
Thanks, not my car , so I think I will pass on that..

Ha spooky!! Mine failed its MOT yesterday for a split CV boot too! Not surprised as its been a bit squeaky for a while when parking but hadn't noticed it had split when I last looked. Got a new boot through a mate in the trade for £8 and MOT place will fit for around £50 and do the retest.

So many Audi dealers are pure thieves IMHO. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience at AMD Essex. They did a four wheel alignment for me a few months back and did a good job. They are also fitting my new clutch and DMF next week.

Reactions: NHN
As I said, it was mot'd/failed & a pass was needed at that precise moment for a long few days of work, so for sake of £190 wasn't worth doing myself, as it would of cost me allot more in lost work to leave it & be un-roadworthy, some jobs are just not worth the time to do yourself in the grand scheme of things, ironically I have a cv boot kit sitting on a shelf unused, but never had the time.

Reactions: MacrosTheBlack and martinivw
Genuine VAG boot kits are about £23, so that's £277 labour for a job that a competent mechanic could do in under an hour - that's shocking.

The oem stuff is crap, so go with the J&R stuff on ebay or to your nearest Euro Car Parts and get a GKN kit as they are apparently more durable.

P/N for one that fits my S3 is 1K0 498 203 A. I would imagine that would also fit the 3.2.

He's clearly been misquoted, the idiot he spoke to must think cv boot & joint are same item, because when you buy a the joint kit it also includes the boot & cv joints vary in price from about £100-£200 oem on varied 8P types.

HI, ok today as a benchmark I asked Audi Maidstone for a quote to change the front n/side cv boot , after a while a call back said it would be £240, thats opposed to Bexleys £313.13.? thats for 1 1/2 hours work apparently.
I also belong to MKiv Golf forum. as I have a GTTDi, they use the term "stealers" for main dealers, which I have always been against, until now.
I will be writing to Audi customer complaints, if there is an email address, I would appreciate it.
Rant over.
Alex

Right this is from my dealer who I trust 100%, they're always great & prices are spot on, so since my CV was done some time back, I can see prices for parts have raised, here is his response:

"Price for a CV boot is £227.50 inc vat as long as it’s an outer boot, if it’s an inner boot £235.60"

So Maidstone are pretty much correct.

Please also remember, hourly rates are different at dealers & thus maybe why prices are not identical, London dealers have been known to charge more for obvious reasons.

Thanks Nigel, I didn't even give it a thought that it may be the inner joint, idiot, an independant is doing it now, very reliable and well trusted.
Thanks anyway.

Very pricey on the labour charges. So lets assume the cv boot is about £30 part. That's £200 labour, ouch! Those prices inc vat?

I've been burned by Maidstone Audi in the past at their old Aylesford location. I phoned them for a quote recently on a new DMF and clutch fit. Quoted me £1600! So must be high labour rates. I'd not mind if the job was top quality. But past butchery of my car by them means I sooner take a swift kick to the happy sacks than trust them again. Just my personal experience of course.

Nigel I'm jealous you have a good local dealer! Some people have all the luck eh!

Reactions: NHN
A bit late but the price looked ok for a London dealership. Audi Leicester want £505 to replace both outer cv boots, the parts are only £80 so It's around £425 for labour (300TU) which is why my indie garage will be doing the work instead.