KUFATEC IMA Multimedia Adapter Plus and factory fit ipod adapter. Help!

wanton

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am brand new to this forum as Iam picking up an A3 2.0 170 on a 56 in the next week. I have been reading someof the posts here and they are really informative so firstly thanks for all youguys who put the info on here!
My car comes with Navigationplus, two SD card slots and an ipod adapter in the glove box. I have beenlooking at various ways to try and get video on the Nav Plus and I have beensearching for days on the best way to go about it. I want as clean an installas possible so I don't really want to install a DVD unit. I preferably wantsomething a little smaller to hold the media I want to use in the car. I have gone for Kufatec as a lot of people have been saying to use there adapter on Audis. Hasanyone got any experience with the IMA Multimedia Plus and if it can beconnected to the ipod adapter which was factory fitted in the car? I waslooking to hopefully put music and video on an ipod (need to buy one) using my PCand then connect the ipod to the adapter in the car and then play all the musicand video files on the RNS-E. Is this possible? I believe I could buy an alpineipod video adapter but I was hoping tosave myself over £100 and have a neater install buy using the ipod adapteralready in the car. I also want my passengers to be able to watch it whilst Iam driving. Would it be better to get the Kufatec video in motion unit for this or does anyone have anysuggestions on which unit to buy for this as there seems to be loads on themarket?
Cheers for any help in advanceguys!!

It wont be possible to use your existing iPod kit as this wont be video compatible.

You'll need the RNS-E Media Interface (Kufatec or other brand) which is basically a TV emulator. This Media Interface takes a video and sound input via RCA connectors.

To get iPod video onto the RNS-E you'll just need an iPod adapter with RCA connectors, like this. This then plugged into the Media Interface will allow the picture to be shown on the screen.

What version RNS-E do you have? There is a VIM hack for MK1 but not for MK2.

Hi jb0o, Thanks for the response. My version has the CD/TV button next to the Radio button so I believe it is the MK1 version. Do you have any suggestions on what Multimedia Adapter to buy? As previously mentioned I have only gone for the Kufatec Multimedia plus because I have read about a lot of Audi owners who have it installed without any issues. I have also gone for it as I don't want a remote control knocking about in the car so I want to be able to control the adapter and media device using the Nav Plus or the steering wheel buttons. Apologies I have read various threads mentioning a VIM hack but I have no idea what it is for?

Sorry for the formatting of my posts but I can seem to create any paragraphs lol!

No problem mate. Yes, you have the MK1 RNS-E.

VIM is the Vehicle In Motion hack. You need this to be able to show the TV screen whilst driving. This is a hacked firmware patch which can be installed in to the RNS-E via the DVD slot.

You can use either the Kufatec or another adapter such as this, they all do the same thing tbh, but there's no doubt that the Kufatec is a much more reliable and better kit, but is also more expensive.

Ok jb0o, thanks very much for the advice. Where would I get a copy of the VIM hack? Would it be easy for someone to install who is basically a PC geek lol? I'm more than likely going to go for the Kufatec as I don't mind paying a bit extra for peace of mind. Do you know if I need to buy any connectors, wiring harnesses ect? Or should I get everything I need in the Kufatec box? After looking a bit more I have found an Alpine multimedia unit that sits in the boot that I can connect to the Kufatec. This alpine unit accepts USB sticks. Have you heard of any other manufacturers that have something similar but smaller, say to fit in the glove box? I presume the factory memory card slots will still play sound but they still wont play video even with the Kufatec fitted? I just noticed you are an installer. I done a massive install on my current car but I really don't feel like attempting this install myself. Shame you are so far away otherwise I could have chucked a little business your way..

Last edited:
No problem mate.

It's a pretty straight forward install, the hardest part being the wiring of about 4 wires of the interface to the +12, GND, CAN-H and CAN-L, which are all sourced from the radio harness. Just need to splice into the existing wiring.

I'm not ware of any other multimedia interface, but the only thing you'll need to make it compatible is ensure its compatible with a 12v power source (so it can be installed in a car) and make sure it has RCA outputs, so that it can be connected to the RCA inputs of the multimedia interface.

I've installed a few of these before, which also have a USB slot, so my customers have been able to have freeview on their RNS-E and using the remote they can switch to USB input, of which they can have video files saved to.

Oh WOW!! OK here goes some more questions.. Sorry... So I don't need an existing TV tuner to add this unit? It says it "supports" DAB does this mean I will get DAB reception or I need to add on a DAB receiver? Is it controlled mainly by the remote or the existing Audi buttons? What is the picture quality like if you are in a good reception area? Seems like a lot of kit for very little money have you had any problems with them? Is the Alpine TUE-T150DV the same thing but just has AV inputs instead of having a memory card/usb slot?

Last edited:
Not 100% sure on the DAB, though we've been able to get some Radio stations over the freeview.. so I assume that counts as DAB as its transmitted across the digital receiver.

Its controlled by the remote. Its only the Kufatec device that allows control via the RNS-E buttons, and there are certain compatible devices that work with the Kufatec interface which allow the RNS-E buttons to control it.

Its not too bad tbh. With the additional aerial, it can pick up a decent picture. I've been told that it can be a bit funny on the move, but parked up it seems to work well enough.

Sorry for the formatting of my posts but I can seem to create any paragraphs lol!

Had the same problem on my PC - click the format button (top left I think it is, has two letters As on) and you can then put in paragraphs!

Ok cheers for all the advise jb :) I think with a Kulfatec unit I will be able to control the Alpine TUE-T150DV with the Audi buttons as it is on their list of recommended devices. Looks like it has DAB built in and I can connect a Video/Audio source to play back through it as well. So I get everything I want out of one unit. I just hope it can be stealth fitted somewhere preferably in the boot. Just need to try and find out what the reception is like on the move....

Had the same problem on my PC - click the format button (top left I think it is, has two letters As on) and you can then put in paragraphs!

Thanks works fine now!

How did you get on with the install? What unit did you go for?

Believe it or not I still haven't got my car. The garage were doing their "pre delivery inspection" and the car cut out. The long and short of it is that the Mecatronic unit failed. Luckily for me it failed before I got the car. Anyway they are basically waiting for a new unit from Audi. Apparently the units are on back order. Audi wont even give an estimate on a date they will be able to ship the part which I think is pretty poor. As you can imagine getting a little sick of waiting now. I'll update this post as soon as I get around to fitting the Alpine unit.