AH FabricationsSky Insurance

View Poll Results: What price are you willing to pay for a custom PVC cover for your RNS-E?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • £30

    11 57.89%
  • £40

    6 31.58%
  • £50

    2 10.53%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 43
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: CALLING ALL RNS-E OWNERS/POTENTIAL OWNERS

  1. #1
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35

    CALLING ALL RNS-E OWNERS/POTENTIAL OWNERS

    Hi,

    As a new RNS-E owner who has read the Theft thread, I'm understandably a little paranoid now about where I park my car. Many people have suggested buying protective covers, but none are available on the market. I've made some enquires to various custom plastics companies and would now like to gauge interest amongst the good people of ASN about ordering a PVC cover for your RNS-E.

    The cover itself would be PVC plastic, custom moulded so that it sits flush against the unit over the two dials with four legs that plugged into the removal key holes. I'm working on designs for the outside of the cover, but options at the moment are blank panel, Audi rings or perhaps a decal of a Symphony type unit so that at first glance through the window it looks like you've got a less expensive console unit.

    Now the important bit, pricing. To re-tool a machine to run off these covers has a starting cost of over £10,000 (not including delivery, packaging etc), so minimum numbers needed for orders will be 1,000+ at between £30 and £50 a unit. What price would you, as a RNS-E unit owner, pay for a custom plastic cover that won't provide guaranteed protection against a burglary but may deter potential thieves?

    Thanks
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    wuta3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Manchester/Sheffield
    Posts
    1,075
    Just slap a sticker on the back "No RNS-E left in this vehicle overnight"...

    Serously tho, unless it looks like a MK1 TT headunit cover, sounds like too much faff and i'll stick with the headunit I have and avoid the stress.

    Good luck tho!
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

  4. #3
    Staz's Avatar
    is a retronaut

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bristol (mostly)
    Posts
    6,168
    Interesting idea but I can't see you ever selling enough to make your money back.
    8P2 S3

    For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

  5. #4
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Its just an idea at the moment, but need to explore the potential market before going ahead with it!

    It would just plug into the four key holes and sit over the RNS-E, no faff involved for the customer. A sticker may not deter a thief who would just have to walk around the vehicle to look into the side windows to see if you had one or not, and removing them each night would be a drama. £30-50 to protect a unit worth £1,318 from Audi seems like a bargain to me, excluding the potential damage to side windows, doors, dashboard and hassle of replacing it!
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  6. #5
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    Interesting idea but I can't see you ever selling enough to make your money back.
    I know, the problem being that re-tooling machines is an expensive business, so the cost per unit ratio for low order numbers is unappealing at the consumer end.
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  7. #6
    Jameze's Avatar
    James

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    525
    Won't this just cause criminals to break into all A3s because it might be an RSN-E hidden behind a standard headunit fascia? It will take them only a few seconds after breaking your window to determine whether it's a real or dummy headunit cover, by which time they'll either whip out the RNS-E anyway or just run off to try the next one they come across.

    Personally, I think doing this (and advertising the idea on a public forum) will just lead to more people's A3s getting broken in to, regardless of whether they have an RNS-E on display or not.

  8. #7
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Won't this just cause criminals to break into all A3s because it might be an RSN-E hidden behind a standard headunit fascia? It will take them only a few seconds after breaking your window to determine whether it's a real or dummy headunit cover, by which time they'll either whip out the RNS-E anyway or just run off to try the next one they come across.

    Personally, I think doing this (and advertising the idea on a public forum) will just lead to more people's A3s getting broken in to, regardless of whether they have an RNS-E on display or not.
    I'd have to disagree, the idea of protective covers has already been floated on this forum, just no one has picked it up and run with it. ASN is not the largest communities, and while criminals may use it to identify potential targets, if I was to sell these then it would be through a variety of means including on the Bay and (eventually) through specialist dealers so the information would get out eventually.

    I'm extremely dubious that a PVC cover would have a direct result in causing higher proportions of Audi break-ins across the A3 range!
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  9. #8
    Jameze's Avatar
    James

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    525
    At the moment criminals no doubt look into people's cars and think "Yep, there's an RNS-E in there. We'll have that...". From what I understood about your original post was that you'll be making a black fascia with silver knobs (to presumably look like the standard Audi headunits) to sit over the RNS-E, hiding the fact that you have one. Surely this will shift these criminals' minds into thinking "There either is or there isn't £500 worth of RNS-E in there, it will take me 2 seconds to smash this window and find out though..."

    Wouldn't that just put all A3 owners a potential target for a broken window, thereby making the break-in problem worse?

    That's just my personal opinion, but I'm against the idea for that reason.

  10. #9
    wuta3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Manchester/Sheffield
    Posts
    1,075
    Quote Originally Posted by cazza1729 View Post
    A sticker may not deter a thief who would just have to walk around the vehicle to look into the side windows to see if you had one or not, and removing them each night would be a drama.
    Was jokin.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

  11. #10
    immo's Avatar
    Stop me

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Suffolk
    Posts
    276
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Won't this just cause criminals to break into all A3s because it might be an RSN-E hidden behind a standard headunit fascia? It will take them only a few seconds after breaking your window to determine whether it's a real or dummy headunit cover, by which time they'll either whip out the RNS-E anyway or just run off to try the next one they come across.

    Personally, I think doing this (and advertising the idea on a public forum) will just lead to more people's A3s getting broken in to, regardless of whether they have an RNS-E on display or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    At the moment criminals no doubt look into people's cars and think "Yep, there's an RNS-E in there. We'll have that...". From what I understood about your original post was that you'll be making a black fascia with silver knobs (to presumably look like the standard Audi headunits) to sit over the RNS-E, hiding the fact that you have one. Surely this will shift these criminals' minds into thinking "There either is or there isn't £500 worth of RNS-E in there, it will take me 2 seconds to smash this window and find out though..."

    Wouldn't that just put all A3 owners a potential target for a broken window, thereby making the break-in problem worse?

    That's just my personal opinion, but I'm against the idea for that reason.
    Sorry but, are you serious?
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors


  12. #11
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    At the moment criminals no doubt look into people's cars and think "Yep, there's an RNS-E in there. We'll have that...". From what I understood about your original post was that you'll be making a black fascia with silver knobs (to presumably look like the standard Audi headunits) to sit over the RNS-E, hiding the fact that you have one. Surely this will shift these criminals' minds into thinking "There either is or there isn't £500 worth of RNS-E in there, it will take me 2 seconds to smash this window and find out though..."

    Wouldn't that just put all A3 owners a potential target for a broken window, thereby making the break-in problem worse?

    That's just my personal opinion, but I'm against the idea for that reason.
    I disagree, and thanks for your opinion, but if you don't have a RNS-E and aren't planning on getting one, please stay off this thread. The likelihood of this affecting you is minimal in terms of being broken into and I don't have to have your consent for the project!
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  13. #12
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Won't this just cause criminals to break into all A3s because it might be an RSN-E hidden behind a standard headunit fascia? It will take them only a few seconds after breaking your window to determine whether it's a real or dummy headunit cover, by which time they'll either whip out the RNS-E anyway or just run off to try the next one they come across.

    Personally, I think doing this (and advertising the idea on a public forum) will just lead to more people's A3s getting broken in to, regardless of whether they have an RNS-E on display or not.
    Dont think they would break in just for a "might have an rns-e" the expected payout wouldn't be worthwhile for them, too much risk with no garuntee of a rns-e being there. But who knows, my mate had a break in when he left his ashtray open with coins totaling £5....
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

  14. #13
    Jameze's Avatar
    James

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by immolator View Post
    Sorry but, are you serious?
    Nope, I wrote it all for the laugh...

    Quote Originally Posted by cazza1729 View Post
    I disagree, and thanks for your opinion, but if you don't have a RNS-E and aren't planning on getting one, please stay off this thread. The likelihood of this affecting you is minimal in terms of being broken into and I don't have to have your consent for the project!
    I was offering an opinion and voicing my concerns. After all, you posted it on a public forum. And I do have an RNS-E for the record.

    Quote Originally Posted by sliced View Post
    Dont think they would break in just for a "might have an rns-e" the expected payout wouldn't be worthwhile for them, too much risk with no garuntee of a rns-e being there. But who knows, my mate had a break in when he left his ashtray open with coins totaling £5....
    My dad had his car broken into because he left some change in his centre console. Police told him some thieves will break in for a quid if it's on display.



    In response to OP's poll... wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an old standard headunit from a scrapyard and take the front off? That will hide your RNS-E and save you a few quid.

  15. #14
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    Nope, I wrote it all for the laugh...



    I was offering an opinion and voicing my concerns. After all, you posted it on a public forum. And I do have an RNS-E for the record.



    My dad had his car broken into because he left some change in his centre console. Police told him some thieves will break in for a quid if it's on display.



    In response to OP's poll... wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy an old standard headunit from a scrapyard and take the front off? That will hide your RNS-E and save you a few quid.
    Quite apart from the fact that the head unit won't have legs to slot into the keyholes and will therefore need another method of attachment, it will protrude out from the centre console by a considerable amount and look just like a head unit thats been stuck onto another unit underneath.
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  16. #15
    Jameze's Avatar
    James

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    525
    Quote Originally Posted by cazza1729 View Post
    Quite apart from the fact that the head unit won't have legs to slot into the keyholes and will therefore need another method of attachment, it will protrude out from the centre console by a considerable amount and look just like a head unit thats been stuck onto another unit underneath.
    You'd be surprised.

  17. #16
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jameze View Post
    You'd be surprised.
    Not really, the 'face' of a Symphony head unit can vary between 5-15mm wide depending on age, which as the existing RNS-E sits flush to the dashboard could only protrude out away from the dashboard. It would also not fit over the existing RNS-E dials
    The back of the head unit would likely scratch the RNS-E screen as they're not flat. It also would need to be secure via legs as you can't use adhesives which you'd have to make yourself and then fit to the head unit.

    I don't understand your problem with the project, its designed to assist you as a RNS-E owner!
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  18. #17
    PaulRS3's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,006
    10+ years of say nav rns-d / rns-e ownership, with no issues I will take my chances.

    That said, to be fair, I am fussy where I park.

    The neatest solution I have seen so far was a modified flat steering lock, that covered the sat nav and prevented it from being pulled out the dash. Might bd a cheaper solution.
    Audi RS3

  19. #18
    Lewbo's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    1,061
    Best way to avoid an RNSE been stolen is to kill the permanent supply to the it. So then it can't be powered up for thieves to slide down the screen to get the final removal key in. I have thought of a way of doing it that only takes a few seconds to do when you leave and enter the car.
    Current
    2006 56 A3 S Line 2.0 TFSI Special Edition Moro Blue

    previous
    2007 A3 S Line 2.0 TDI 170 S-tronic phantom black
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey
    2007 A3 S Line 2.0 TFSI S-Tronic Ibis White
    2005 A3 S Line 2.0 TDI S-tronic Brilliant Red

  20. #19
    Mr. B's Avatar
    English...not so good

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Bristol
    Posts
    944
    Good idea but the dash board would end up taking a bigger hamming. Lol put baby sun visors on all windows so that they can't see it or put a blancet on top of the dash or buy a car cover.


  21. #20
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_sline_tdi View Post
    Best way to avoid an RNSE been stolen is to kill the permanent supply to the it. So then it can't be powered up for thieves to slide down the screen to get the final removal key in. I have thought of a way of doing it that only takes a few seconds to do when you leave and enter the car.
    I don't fancy replacing my dashboard when, as already posted on the RNS-E theft thread, the thieves use crowbars to get the unit out!
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  22. #21
    AndyA3170
    Guest
    is it just me or has anyone else found this threads gone a bit *****y lol
    In my opinion for someone to try and come up with an idea too a problem isn't a bad thing, I understand everyone is rightful to there own opinion but I think the opinions have got a bit strong.
    IMHO I think people cover things for a reason and if I was a criminal I'd think if it's covered over its worth something. Good idea to try and come up with something though.
    Like the idea of a extended modified steering lock more
    Brodster and wuta3 like this.

  23. #22
    Filthy Oil Burner

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyA3170 View Post
    is it just me or has anyone else found this threads gone a bit *****y lol
    In my opinion for someone to try and come up with an idea too a problem isn't a bad thing, I understand everyone is rightful to there own opinion but I think the opinions have got a bit strong.
    IMHO I think people cover things for a reason and if I was a criminal I'd think if it's covered over its worth something. Good idea to try and come up with something though.
    Like the idea of a extended modified steering lock more
    I have to agree and, having seen the error of trying use ASN for the benefit of its users, I will bow out of the thread. My windows are getting security filmed on monday instead.
    Then: '05 A3 3.2 Quattro DSG

    Now: '10 A3 2.0 TDI Quattro Black Edition - Mod thread to follow

  24. #23
    AndyA3170
    Guest
    cazza, thumbs up to you and well done for the idea.
    I think the fact you have done that and tried to benefit people says a lot in itself even if everyone doesn't agree.

  25. #24
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    50
    I too thought about a cover to hide Rns-e but, getting it to look flush with the dash and to stop the unit been stolen. the only way this would be to use a non Rns-e headunit as a blank, other wise the thief would know something was wrong and still try to break in!

  26. #25
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    224
    No one who doesn't have an RNS-E is going to go and buy a cover, so theives will know there is one behind the cover.

    And surely it is cheaper to have a run of 3D printed covers rather than the traditional tooling setup?
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.

  27. #26
    Brodster's Avatar
    Shark Performance In Scotland

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Scottish Borders
    Posts
    3,403

    My Social Networking

    Follow Brodster On Twitter Add Brodster on Facebook
    You cannot please everyone in this life mate but I salute you for coming up with the idea and trying to push it forward. Who knows it might take off.
    Angelwax/BBS/BCS/Bilstein/Cobra/CTS Turbo/DTUK/H&R/K-Sport/KW/Loba/Milltek/Shark Performance/Oz Racing/TPI/VCDS/V-Maxx/Vossen/Wagner

  28. #27
    MacrosTheBlack's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmileyone View Post
    No one who doesn't have an RNS-E is going to go and buy a cover, so theives will know there is one behind the cover.

    And surely it is cheaper to have a run of 3D printed covers rather than the traditional tooling setup?
    Now that's a much better idea than a tooling machine costing 10k plus! 3D printer and then finishing with some paint (as I don't believe the printers can put colour on too). I think you'd sell a few, so 3D printing would get your idea off the mark without a huge initial outlay.

    I agree its got a bit aggressive in this thread. Everyone's entitled to an opinion and its good to hear opinions from both sides. I have an RNSE too and to be honest I'm not convinced I'd need a cover myself. But if the quality of the finished item was good enough and only £15-£20 I might be tempted to have one for when I park in areas I don't know that well.

    Love to see a prototype to make a final decision. But don't approach as a big investment as I feel the market is too small and a lot of owners won't want the faff of remembering to slot the cover on at the end of each journey. Wouldn't want anyone to waste thousands of pounds of their own money. Good luck with it!
    Sold:Audi S3 (2008 8P2 with upgrades by NHN)
    Phantom Black
    , Bucket Seats, Sunroof, Parking Sensors, FBMFSW, Armrest Phone Prep, Privacy Glass, ILP, FTW, BOSE, RNSE MkII SDS & AMI, Cruise Control, MY11 Folding/Dimming Mirrors, MY11 Rear Lights, Auto Lights/Wipers

  29. #28
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacrosTheBlack View Post
    Now that's a much better idea than a tooling machine costing 10k plus! 3D printer and then finishing with some paint (as I don't believe the printers can put colour on too). I think you'd sell a few, so 3D printing would get your idea off the mark without a huge initial outlay.

    I agree its got a bit aggressive in this thread. Everyone's entitled to an opinion and its good to hear opinions from both sides. I have an RNSE too and to be honest I'm not convinced I'd need a cover myself. But if the quality of the finished item was good enough and only £15-£20 I might be tempted to have one for when I park in areas I don't know that well.

    Love to see a prototype to make a final decision. But don't approach as a big investment as I feel the market is too small and a lot of owners won't want the faff of remembering to slot the cover on at the end of each journey. Wouldn't want anyone to waste thousands of pounds of their own money. Good luck with it!

    i Agree with both arguments, and credit to cazza1729, as John McClane once said "At least i'm thinking Goddamit!!!!!"
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  30. #29
    Veneeringman's Avatar
    Bazinga

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Back in the UK
    Posts
    650
    It is a shame Audi didn't make it a lot more secure when they designed the dashboard !!!! However people will also argue it makes for easier retrofits i suppose !!
    2012 Misano Red RS3 / Bucket seats Heated front & Rear / Aluminium Styling Pack / Bose / RNS-E / Bluetooth / Mobile phone prep low / AMI / Reversing Sensors / LED number plate lights / Led interior light pack / VCDS / Cruise Control / Exclusive Inlays / Auto Lights & Wipers / 8.5J fronts / extended leather / Michelin Pilot super sport tyres / and a few other things

  31. #30
    Navisace's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Birmingham, central
    Posts
    51
    great idea but sadly too late for me, when my rnse was stolen i decided to just put a concert cd player in. been over 8 thefts in last 2 weeks and they alway use torch to make sure so i'm a bit paranoid now. they enen did one 60 mins after the first one in same road.
    The more i know the less i understand...
    2013 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 150 S Line DSG, pan roof tech pack comfort pack light pack sat nav
    2012 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 140 S Line DSG Black Edition

    2007 Audi A3 2.0 Tdi 170 SE DSG with all the S Line bits vortex skirts

    Gone but not forgotten
    2009 Audi A4 2.0 Tdi S-line Final Edition ( 4 year old only covered 4750 miles)

  32. #31
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kettering, Northamptonshire
    Posts
    172
    Id be interested, yes people who know there audis/cars will realise there is something behind the cover but if its just a thief thats passing and hasn't got a clue if he sees the rnse of course hell go for it, if he sees a cover that's been well made and like its supposed to be there I don't think they'll think nothing of it. I was working on a Laguna yesterday that had a slide down cover great idea. I would be interested in two covers mate.

  33. #32
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    475
    Why bother when you can already buy the cover on fleabay for less than a tenner? Security Dummy Face Panel Cover for Double 2DIN 7" Car Radio Stereo DVD Player | eBay

  34. #33
    MacrosTheBlack's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by nluk100 View Post
    Why bother when you can already buy the cover on fleabay for less than a tenner? Security Dummy Face Panel Cover for Double 2DIN 7" Car Radio Stereo DVD Player | eBay
    Damn that looks pretty good! Might keep an eye out and try and nick one
    phil76 likes this.
    Sold:Audi S3 (2008 8P2 with upgrades by NHN)
    Phantom Black
    , Bucket Seats, Sunroof, Parking Sensors, FBMFSW, Armrest Phone Prep, Privacy Glass, ILP, FTW, BOSE, RNSE MkII SDS & AMI, Cruise Control, MY11 Folding/Dimming Mirrors, MY11 Rear Lights, Auto Lights/Wipers

  35. #34
    AndyA3170
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by nluk100 View Post
    Why bother when you can already buy the cover on fleabay for less than a tenner? Security Dummy Face Panel Cover for Double 2DIN 7" Car Radio Stereo DVD Player | eBay
    I think that would work cause when the criminal see's that he will burst out laughing and wake everyone up lol
    The way I see it most criminals who are into stealing RNSE's do it cause there good at it and most probably have the unit sold before they even take it. I know it's not possible for every situation we park our cars in but at home I'd rather spend the money on a camera or an epic security lamp. Car wise if I was majorly concerned maybe try and upgrade the alarm to a ear deafening DB level. You could lock your unit away in a safe and there is someone who will still try and take.

  36. #35
    leeds2592's Avatar
    When I grow up, I want a 964!

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    1,181

    My Social Networking

    Visit leeds2592's Instagram Channel
    As mentioned on the other thread, I'd be interested in something like this. Can kinda see both sides of the arguement above though.

    Yeh, it won't stop every theft as people who target Audi's for these RNSE's, will quickly wise up or won't be fooled at all. But it may deter chance thiefs who are non the wiser. May be a good idea gauging interest and seeing other peoples views from different sections of the forum?

    Keep us updated though mate, nice to see somebody try to do something about this problem!

    P.S. I wouldn't of thought the product in the above link will work on the RNSE due to the buttons.
    s3reptdi likes this.
    Black 2007 2.0 FSI Sport
    2011 Glossy Black RNS-E |AP Coilovers | 18" 7 Spoke OEM BE Alloy Wheels | H&R Trak+ Spacers 8mm (Front) 12mm (Rear) | MY11 Rear Lights | S Line Spoiler | Retrofitted MFSW | Retrofitted Cruise Control | Interior LED Light Pack | OEM LED Numberplate Bulbs

  37. #36
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Prague, CZ
    Posts
    88
    I'd definitely be interested in one of these, i'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.
    2009 A3 TDI 170 STronic SLine

  38. #37
    Mr-C's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Chorley
    Posts
    199
    If they are determined enough they will steal it. Id rather they just took it than crow barred the dash board

  39. #38
    Lewbo's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hull
    Posts
    1,061
    there is never going to be a way to stop thieves stealing RNSE's to be honest. best thing to do is for people to stop buying them on ebay that way there is no demand thus no need to supply but that will never happen so its a vicious circle.
    MacrosTheBlack likes this.
    Current
    2006 56 A3 S Line 2.0 TFSI Special Edition Moro Blue

    previous
    2007 A3 S Line 2.0 TDI 170 S-tronic phantom black
    2006 VW Golf Gti Black
    2008 S3 Dolphin Grey
    2007 A3 S Line 2.0 TFSI S-Tronic Ibis White
    2005 A3 S Line 2.0 TDI S-tronic Brilliant Red

  40. #39
    sliced's Avatar
    Drive safe, stay alive.

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,217
    Quote Originally Posted by a3_sline_tdi View Post
    there is never going to be a way to stop thieves stealing RNSE's to be honest. best thing to do is for people to stop buying them on ebay that way there is no demand thus no need to supply but that will never happen so its a vicious circle.
    yep, but you have still got to take into account supply creates its own demand.
    Current: 8P3 '59 2.0 TFSI 3DR S-Line | Adaptive Bixenons with DLR's | Folding electric mirrors | Heated half leathers |
    Previous : '06 2.0 TDi Sportback in Dolphin Grey| SE | DSG | Satnav | Privacy glass | auto lights | comfort pack |

  41. #40
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kettering, Northamptonshire
    Posts
    172
    I get the whole if thieves want something they'll get it no matter what but you have to try and protect your belongings! Its as if you're saying if a thief want to steal your car you'll gladly hand over your keys, you cant just let them win.
    leeds2592 likes this.

 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Calling all S-Line FACTORY fitted owners!
    By BahnStormer77 in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 8th March 2009, 06:04
  2. Calling all Audi 2.0 TDI Owners for ECU Re-map!!!!
    By fesss_84 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 4th December 2007, 23:37
  3. Calling all 30v 2.8 V6 owners
    By imported_christhick in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 23rd June 2005, 09:14
  4. Calling all s4 owners- NEED A PIC of your rear
    By imported_Yaseen in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 19th January 2005, 17:43
  5. Call All A2 TDi Owners!
    By stuart_d in forum A2 forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 17th October 2003, 08:20

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO