tell me about the light switch

M

monopole

IMAG0039a

This is what I figure about the light switch

(switch always set to AUTO)

this is when the specified light switch-backlight is illuminated whilst driving:

A) AUTO = front DRL only

B) AUTO + (1) = front DRL, headlight, tail light

C) AUTO + (1) + (2) = front DRL, headlight, tail light

On my way home in the rain today, I had AUTO + (1) illuminated which resulted in headlights on therefore (I assume) tail lights will be on? If so what does the switch backlight AUTO +(1) +(2) result in??

I've wondered how to tell the headlights were on when set to auto for a while now as there is no indicator light in the clocks! so by looking at the headlight switch I can tell if the lights are on? :)

sorry I can't help with your question

Sometimes when it's raining my interior dash and footwell lights come on with no full headlight.

But then I do have Scandinavia mode activated via VCDS. Basically this means when my DRLs are on, the taillights and rear number plate lights are on.

I did say, the switch in AUTO only. I know what it does when you rotate it round.

Auto, the lights (dipped, side and tail) come on when the ambient light is low if your auto-dim mirror is switched on. No 1 is side and tail and 2 is dipped, side and tail until you put main beam on with the dip-switch.
Drls should normally be on with the ignition.

I stand to be corrected!

Sometimes when it's raining my interior dash and footwell lights come on with no full headlight.

But then I do have Scandinavia mode activated via VCDS. Basically this means when my DRLs are on, the taillights and rear number plate lights are on.

I didn't know you could do this. I dont have auto lights but could i have it so that my tail and number plate lights come on when in DRL mode? When I go to sidelight mode, the drl's dim too much.

I didn't know you could do this. I dont have auto lights but could i have it so that my tail and number plate lights come on when in DRL mode? When I go to sidelight mode, the drl's dim too much.

Yeah if you don't have the Auto lights then when you change your country to Scandinavia then it will turn your sidelight (postion 1) to full brightness and leave your tail lights/number plate lights on as well.

I have auto lights and i changed the setting to scandinavia but unfortunately it just turns my Tail lights on when my DRL's are on in AUTO mode.This is annoying as in this country it is cloudy most of the time and it usually turns my light on at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon what is not ideal in my opinion.I think the only fix that i have seen on here is when somebody forced his DRL's to remain on in the OFF position but i wouldn't want to do that as sometimes i am parked up and need to switch my lights off.One of my friends with AUTO lights managed to over ride the signals from the fuse box to the lights by adding some wiring and now his DRL's are always on full brightness in the sidelight(1) position.The only issue is that the DRL's are at full brightness in dipped beam mode(2) too,normally the DRL's dim to half brightness when the xenon's are on to match the brightness of the dipped beam.I am considering on doing this mod as it is the only option i can think of to solve this issue unless someone can confirm that u can change the sensitivity of the light sensor in the windscreen in VCDS.

Last edited:
Yeah if you don't have the Auto lights then when you change your country to Scandinavia then it will turn your sidelight (postion 1) to full brightness and leave your tail lights/number plate lights on as well.

I have auto lights and i changed the setting to scandinavia but unfortunately it just turns my Tail lights on when my DRL's are on in AUTO mode.This is annoying as in this country it is cloudy most of the time and it usually turns my light on at about 3 or 4 in the afternoon what is not ideal in my opinion.I think the only fix that i have seen on here is when somebody forced his DRL's to remain on in the OFF position but i wouldn't want to do that as sometimes i am parked up and need to switch my lights off.One of my friends with AUTO lights managed to over ride the signals from the fuse box to the lights by adding some wiring and now his DRL's are always on full brightness in the sidelight(1) position.The only issue is that the DRL's are at full brightness in dipped beam mode(2) too,normally the DRL's dim to half brightness when the xenon's are on to match the brightness of the dipped beam.I am considering on doing this mod as it is the only option i can think of to solve this issue unless someone can confirm that u can change the sensitivity of the light sensor in the windscreen in VCDS.

Don't change the country of your vehicle that could do other things.... Not sure what but I guess there is the possibility.

I can't remember the exact details as it was a while ago (No engineers in the office to ask either) but it involves changing a digit in the long coding that activates Scandi mode for the lighting only.

Basically if you are DRLs are on regardless of time, rain etc then the rear end will be lit up (Kind of like a Volvo)

Guys don't get confused.

What I am asking is;

what is the difference between AUTO+(1) and AUTO+(1)+(2) because physically, the cars lights seem to give the same output, ie DRL+headlight+taillight with either AUTO+(1) OR AUTO+(1)+(2) backlights lit on the switch, when it is in the AUTO position

Auto is fully automatic, the car decides when to turn the headlights on.

(1) is sidelights
(2) is dip beam

When the switch is on (1) or (2) the auto function is turned off, you cannot have Auto ON and (1) or (2) at the same time.

Leave the switch on auto ALL the time, when you take the key out of the car and its dark outside it turns the lights off, when you start the car and its dark outside the lights will come on.

The way to tell if the lights are on when set to auto is the (1) is illuminated green.

(2) never illuminates

ok il answer the question...

Auto without 1 or 2 is just DRL
Auto with 1 is headlights and tail lights in daylight time (usually happens when its raining outside during the day)
Auto with 1 and 2 is headlights and interior ambient lights (all the red lights on the stereo and window switches illuminate)

hope that answers your question

Reactions: monopole
thanks Ash, yes now you have said it, that sounds right. I just couldn't put it together before, ty

Sorry for trying to help, let's be honest if you can't work out how the auto lights work you shouldn't own a car.

As you have resorted to insults, let me retort.

I think you should go back to school and learn how to READ, because you certainly didnt understand ANYTHING

I think the street term is... schooled!

LMFAO

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Ash187
Sorry for trying to help, let's be honest if you can't work out how the auto lights work you shouldn't own a car.

Don't really think that's the right attitude to have fella...

His question was a genuine one and had me stumped until I worked it out, the autos do work in a strange way.

I have manual lights w/xenons, set to Scandinavia therefore,

DRL pos = bright DRL's, rears on, when set I this position the green sidelight symbol glows.
Side pos= dim DRL's, rears on
dipped pos = dim DRL's, rears on & xenons.

This way I can leave in DRL pos for longer into eve without worrying about someone driving into my rear which otherwise wouldn't be illuminated. I prefer it set this way, so my rear is always lit and I can choose the brightness of my front DRL's.

NB DON'T SET TO NORTH AMERICA (unless you live there) otherwise your rear sides will flash in time with your turn signals.

Reactions: Cruiser89

DRL pos = bright DRL's, rears on, when set I this position the green sidelight symbol glows.

This way I can leave in DRL pos for longer into eve without worrying about someone driving into my rear which otherwise wouldn't be illuminated. I prefer it set this way, so my rear is always lit and I can choose the brightness of my front DRL's.

NB DON'T SET TO NORTH AMERICA (unless you live there) otherwise your rear sides will flash in time with your turn signals.

Think I need Scandinavia mode. Do you ever use the sidelight position with dim drl's?

Even though I have Autos, this is the exact reason I have mine set to Scandi.