Audi A3 07 Reg - NO Engine Mgmt Light but Code P0171

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was hijacking someone else's thread and the replies I was getting weren't making sense so I thought I might as well start a thread and ask once in for all.

I recently purchased a stock A3 with absolutely No mods at all and everything is absolutely fine with the car. I took it to one of these free health checks. They said everything is fine but the OBD came up with error Code P0171. The guys there said it best to change this sensor, which I now believe is the O2 Lambda sensor. The car runs absolutely fine, there is nothing unusual. Although I wastold that the mpg might be affected because of this. I managed 225 miles in half tank around London, which I think is pretty good.

My question is if there is no engine management light and the OBD came up with that error, how would I know it is an error for sure? I wouldn't have known about the error if the guy had ran the OBD and would have been driving normally. I think the light does come on when I switch on ignition and then goes off, like other lights do when you switch on ignition, so in other words its not been disconnected or anything.

Moving on, if it is an error indeed and I wanted to get it changed, is this what I will need? I was told it is an O2 Lambda sensor and this is what I can match. Also, how would I know about this error in the future? I mean I don't have an OBD and I can't just pop into garages every now and then just for fun to get my car OBD'd!!

Where can I locate the MAF to clean that thing? I can't find any videos for A3

Thanks for all the help.

I'd just get it scanned with VCDS before wasting money

Thanks for that Mikemc. Anyone around West London Area with VCDS :blush:

One thing I should also add is that it does say on the report "Intermittent" which would mean it's not consistent.

could just be an old code
id clear it off and recan in a few days see if it comes back

Thanks for replies chaps. Sidhu88; I've a 1.6 Petrol. Pl check PM.

was fitted with a crap air intake by previous owner and potencially remaped etc

The car has Full Audi Service History right from the start so I wouldn't imagine that would be the case but the intake could have gone !!

could be loose piping after MAF section or you need to check if MAF sits in properly. Good to check cam follower too.

Pardon the ignorance but with only 3 weeks with my first Audi - I can't locate the MAF ..

Hi guys,
Thanks to Ash187's help, I've now got the log.

Could someone please let me know if it is indeed the O2 lambda sensor that I would need to change? If yes, where/how do I find the part number. If not your input would be appreciated.

Please bear in mind that there is No engine management light on and there isn't anything wrong/alarming with the car when I am driving it around. Funny enough, it says Fuel level too low at the end when I've got half a tank of Fuel.

Cheers

Control Module Part Number: 06A 906 033 EH
3 Faults Found:

16555 - Fuel Trim; Bank 1
P0171 - 006 - System Too Lean - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Lambda: 25.0 %
Lambda Factor: 1.008
Voltage: 0.440 V
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Lambda: 25.0 %
Lambda Factor: 1.000