Premium petrol or just regular??

Peterhendo

Reaction score
Heyy i have an 08 a3 3 door 1.6 sport iam currently using regular unleaded at the pumps but should i use the good stuff for it or doesent it matter??

I'm assuming your premium and regular is 98 and 95 RON, respectively, or thereabouts.

To be honest with the 1.6 engine I seriously doubt it would make any appreciable difference to performance, you might get a little more lieage out of the premium, so it comes down to if it's economically worth it.

I run the 1.6fsi and use the premium petrol and seem to get 100miles more than what you would get with regular petrol

but I guess it's just down to personal preference

It has half a tank of regular left in it can i top it up with the good stuff or do i have to wait for the tank to be emptier ir dusnt it matter ?

I wouldn't think it would make any difference mixing it mate :)

my mrs' Polo 1.4 is a lot perkier using super, so much so that she won't use regular anymore. It should run better if you don't dilute the more potent fuel with regular UL.

Reactions: stuartm
my mrs' Polo 1.4 is a lot perkier using super, so much so that she won't use regular anymore. It should run better if you don't dilute the more potent fuel with regular UL.

im the same I find my 1.6 a lot perkier with the super unleaded than what it is with just normal unleaded seems really flat.

If you have half a tank of 95 then fill with 99 it will mix to ~97.
Then next time have half a tank of ~97 and fill with 99, will be ~98.

So after a few fills it will be running, debatably, full premium.

I'd run the car to almost empty first and then fill up with the premium stuff. Then disconnect your battery for half an hour or so to reset your ECU, reconnect and off you go.

If you only fill up with premium without doing the reset then your ECU is going to take a few tanks before it adjusts to the improved fuel.

It'll also inject a bit of placebo into your head so even if your car isn't any more responsive you'll believe and "feel" that it is. :yes:

Reactions: wuta3 and nezz
Sorry to hijack the thread (should perhaps have made a separate one) but what about premium diesel? I've read there's little/no difference in comparison to regular petrol vs premium petrol.

With it being a 1.6 i shouldn't think you will need it and it wouldn't really make a difference but it is better to use the premium stuff i suppose. If it were an S3 than i would say use it.

I run the 1.6fsi and use the premium petrol and seem to get 100miles more than what you would get with regular petrol

but I guess it's just down to personal preference

Sure you do, that must be about 25% better fuel economy....maybe a couple of percent I'd believe.

I actually get worse mpg on momentum 99 than 95 RON. No idea why.

On the 1.6, even the FSI, it'll make very little difference.

Sure you do, that must be about 25% better fuel economy....maybe a couple of percent I'd believe.

I actually get worse mpg on momentum 99 than 95 RON. No idea why.

On the 1.6, even the FSI, it'll make very little difference.

As being 1.6fsi driver, for me I get better mileage on the 99 Ron, but feels better to drive. wether that's all in the head as you know your putting better fuel in. :)

Sorry to hijack the thread (should perhaps have made a separate one) but what about premium diesel? I've read there's little/no difference in comparison to regular petrol vs premium petrol.

Ive heard that there is hardly any point of doing it on diesel cars as it makes less of a difference as opposed to petrol cars,not sure why to be honest. Ive used premium a couple times and have not noticed massive differences in fuel economy but it is hard to tell as sometimes i drive much more aggressively and sometimes i try to be economical :haudrauf:

I remember watching an episode of fifth gear and the premium diesels been tested on a dyno. From memory I think it gave an improvement of about 6-7 Bhp on there test, I've tried to copy the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...2YD4DQ&usg=AFQjCNEPi85xYSBIu5CUL1n3obE4zrj9sQ

I remember watching an episode of fifth gear and the premium diesels been tested on a dyno. From memory I think it gave an improvement of about 6-7 Bhp on there test, I've tried to copy the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DezjknhwcQXU&ei=LSyTUbeFN9GO7AbP2YD4DQ&usg=AFQjCNEPi85xYSBIu5CUL1n3obE4zrj9sQ

LOL i claim bull****

I was at Autosport Show the day BP unleashed their Ultimate Ultimate (£2 a litre jobbie) and had people doing dyno tests showing 10bhp increases and no one still believed it haha goes to show they no longer have it available at pumps anymore

LOL i claim bull****

I was at Autosport Show the day BP unleashed their Ultimate Ultimate (£2 a litre jobbie) and had people doing dyno tests showing 10bhp increases and no one still believed it haha goes to show they no longer have it available at pumps anymore

Why don't you believe it? £2 a litre is probably why they no longer sell it.

The gains made to modern engines are well known.

I've run normal and super unleaded in all the petrol cars I've owned, whetheer it be cheap runarounds to keep me mobile, or new cars. I've always seen better mpg from super unleaded, enough of a increase to warrant the extra cost of super.

I had the most benefit on Shell V-Power (as it was called at the time), and less prononced gains when using Tesco 99, BP Ultimate etc.

Performance wise you'll not see anything bar perhaps better throtte response., and possibly a little less hesitation under load.
I even put super in our Fiat Panda 1.2 from time to time, helps with the Italian tune up ;)