Chris NottSky Insurance
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Artimus
  • 2 Post By Ads

Thread: Premium petrol or just regular??

Neutral

Status

Premium petrol or just regular??

Heyy i have an 08 a3 3 door 1.6 sport iam currently using regular unleaded at the pumps but should i use the good stuff for it or doesent it matter??

2. # ADS
    ADS

Bird is the Word!

Status
    I'm assuming your premium and regular is 98 and 95 RON, respectively, or thereabouts.

To be honest with the 1.6 engine I seriously doubt it would make any appreciable difference to performance, you might get a little more lieage out of the premium, so it comes down to if it's economically worth it.
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

1st Gear

Status
    I run the 1.6fsi and use the premium petrol and seem to get 100miles more than what you would get with regular petrol

but I guess it's just down to personal preference

Neutral

Status
    It has half a tank of regular left in it can i top it up with the good stuff or do i have to wait for the tank to be emptier ir dusnt it matter ?

Enthusiast

Status
    It should not matter.
    VCDS USER

1st Gear

Status
    I wouldn't think it would make any difference mixing it mate

Short Back

Status
    my mrs' Polo 1.4 is a lot perkier using super, so much so that she won't use regular anymore. It should run better if you don't dilute the more potent fuel with regular UL.
    stuartm likes this.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimus View Post
    my mrs' Polo 1.4 is a lot perkier using super, so much so that she won't use regular anymore. It should run better if you don't dilute the more potent fuel with regular UL.
    im the same I find my 1.6 a lot perkier with the super unleaded than what it is with just normal unleaded seems really flat.

2nd Gear

Status
    If you have half a tank of 95 then fill with 99 it will mix to ~97.
    Then next time have half a tank of ~97 and fill with 99, will be ~98.

So after a few fills it will be running, debatably, full premium.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    I'd run the car to almost empty first and then fill up with the premium stuff. Then disconnect your battery for half an hour or so to reset your ECU, reconnect and off you go.

If you only fill up with premium without doing the reset then your ECU is going to take a few tanks before it adjusts to the improved fuel.

It'll also inject a bit of placebo into your head so even if your car isn't any more responsive you'll believe and "feel" that it is.

Stop me

Status
    Sorry to hijack the thread (should perhaps have made a separate one) but what about premium diesel? I've read there's little/no difference in comparison to regular petrol vs premium petrol.
    2006 A3 2.0TDI 170 S Line Mauritius Blue
    Bluetooth | RNSE | MFSW | BOSE | DRL | Xenon Plus | Half Leather | Heated Seats | Parking Sensors

6th Gear

Status
    With it being a 1.6 i shouldn't think you will need it and it wouldn't really make a difference but it is better to use the premium stuff i suppose. If it were an S3 than i would say use it.
    Her 2011 Limited Edition A4 Dynamik 2.0 Tfsi quattro 211 BHP Saloon & Mine 2013 Bmw 535D M Sport 313 Bhp 630nm.
    ***Audi's In The Park***The Biggest Audi Event In Europe 10th August 2014*** http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audis-park-aitp-2014/221933-audis-park-2014-show-10th-august-billing-aquadrome.html
    Reputation given for the best answer.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartm View Post
    I run the 1.6fsi and use the premium petrol and seem to get 100miles more than what you would get with regular petrol

but I guess it's just down to personal preference

Sure you do, that must be about 25% better fuel economy....maybe a couple of percent I'd believe.

I actually get worse mpg on momentum 99 than 95 RON. No idea why.

On the 1.6, even the FSI, it'll make very little difference.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Minstadave View Post
    Sure you do, that must be about 25% better fuel economy....maybe a couple of percent I'd believe.

I actually get worse mpg on momentum 99 than 95 RON. No idea why.

On the 1.6, even the FSI, it'll make very little difference.
    As being 1.6fsi driver, for me I get better mileage on the 99 Ron, but feels better to drive. wether that's all in the head as you know your putting better fuel in.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by immolator View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread (should perhaps have made a separate one) but what about premium diesel? I've read there's little/no difference in comparison to regular petrol vs premium petrol.
    Ive heard that there is hardly any point of doing it on diesel cars as it makes less of a difference as opposed to petrol cars,not sure why to be honest. Ive used premium a couple times and have not noticed massive differences in fuel economy but it is hard to tell as sometimes i drive much more aggressively and sometimes i try to be economical
    Ibis White 2011 A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Black Edition S Tronic

Extras : 18" Speedline Alloys | EBC Green Pads & Discs| Interior LED's | Gloss Black Splitter & Fog Grills | Open Sky Panoramic | Phillips Diamond Vision Fogs | OEM Silver Indicators & LED Number Plate Lights | S3 Side Skirts & Front Bumper | RS3 Grill & Back Bumper |S3 Aluminium Pedals & Mirrors | Piped Mats |RNSE| Auto Dimming Mirrors | Roadhawk Pro |Twin Chrome Oval Exhaust |

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by immolator View Post
    I remember watching an episode of fifth gear and the premium diesels been tested on a dyno. From memory I think it gave an improvement of about 6-7 Bhp on there test, I've tried to copy the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...L1n3obE4zrj9sQ
    Audi A3 S-Line Sportback Black Edition
    White, 2009 2.0d 140bhp.
    DRL's, Xenons, RNSE, Bluetooth,

to do
    Cruise, OEM Parking sensors, footwell lights, ambient light

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Walts2782 View Post
    I remember watching an episode of fifth gear and the premium diesels been tested on a dyno. From memory I think it gave an improvement of about 6-7 Bhp on there test, I've tried to copy the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...L1n3obE4zrj9sQ
    LOL i claim bull****

I was at Autosport Show the day BP unleashed their Ultimate Ultimate (£2 a litre jobbie) and had people doing dyno tests showing 10bhp increases and no one still believed it haha goes to show they no longer have it available at pumps anymore
    Phantom Audi A4 B7 S-Line Avant

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4VE View Post
    LOL i claim bull****

I was at Autosport Show the day BP unleashed their Ultimate Ultimate (£2 a litre jobbie) and had people doing dyno tests showing 10bhp increases and no one still believed it haha goes to show they no longer have it available at pumps anymore
    Why don't you believe it? £2 a litre is probably why they no longer sell it.

The gains made to modern engines are well known.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

1st Gear

Status
    I've run normal and super unleaded in all the petrol cars I've owned, whetheer it be cheap runarounds to keep me mobile, or new cars. I've always seen better mpg from super unleaded, enough of a increase to warrant the extra cost of super.

I had the most benefit on Shell V-Power (as it was called at the time), and less prononced gains when using Tesco 99, BP Ultimate etc.

Performance wise you'll not see anything bar perhaps better throtte response., and possibly a little less hesitation under load.
    I even put super in our Fiat Panda 1.2 from time to time, helps with the Italian tune up

1st Gear

Status
    Premium on all FSI engines.
    2008 A3 1.8t FSI Sportback S-Line - Avus Silver - Full spec.