TTS or S3

SparkyMcA

Reaction score
i know there similar apart from the shell, would use think a TTS is still known as a hairdressers car or nice enough to own without getting that across? has the TTS got a harsher ride than the S3? cheers

TTS I'd say yes, hair dressers car, TTRS is a different matter.

Funnily enough I pulled the pants down on a TTS last night on the M5 ;)

Practicality it scores 0. Comfort I'd say 8-10. Very nice place to sit, nicer than an 8P in that respect but only in my eyes, I'm sure others may disagree.

My friend has a 2+ S3 and he had a TTS as a courtesy car. He said it handles a lot better than the S3 but practicality wise the S3 was better in every way. :)

I'd probably have a TTS as well. Still a little bit hairdresser but a lot less than the old shape imo.

TTS is a great car .. and comes with mag ride as standard which the S3 doesn't.

Never had any issues with anyone giving hairdresser comments just positive remarks.

Great driving position and excellent handling and superb cabin.

If you just need 2 seats, then its fine, as rear seats fold down too, but if you need to carry passengers then the S3 would have to the the one.

TT and derivatives are imho girlie cars. Climbing in/out is not easy if you are tall and not very agile people... S3 for me...

Last edited:
Scirocco R is a good shout - superb car.

eats through a front set of tyres every 6,500 miles though ... just be warned !

But feels tremendously fast.

Very grippy in the dry but you have to be a bit more sympathetic with the front wheel drive power in the wet as 260 bhp.

Reactions: Ads
Scirocco R is a good shout - superb car.

eats through a front set of tyres every 6,500 miles though ... just be warned !

But feels tremendously fast.

Very grippy in the dry but you have to be a bit more sympathetic with the front wheel drive power in the wet as 260 bhp.

I'm still amazed at how well it handles with all of its power going through the front wheels, even from standstill. Very little wheelspin and virtually no torque steer.
Haven't really pushed on in the wet yet, and I'm not rushing to put it to the test.

I'm not going to be much use here.....

I drive an S3,I like the old and new style TT's and love the RS!

Each has its own attractions.....I need something I can drive every day and still has room for four when required.

Otherwise the RS might have been tempting.

TTs are a lot smaller than you'd think given they share the same platform with the S3. I'm sure the TT is the better handling car, but to live with it's not enough better to make up for the rest of the short-falls. And you'll forever be branded a hairdresser.

Everyone says hairdressers car and I just smile put the sport button on and blast off up the road listening to the lovely 5 cylinder then get texts or FB messages saying omg I take it back thats a beast but that's a RS. I've come from 2 S3's and loved them the only reason iv got the RS now is because i love the engine and also it handles better and has a manual gearbox otherwise it would have been a RS3 for practicality. I'm 23 so don't have to worry about the seats problem. I will hold my hands up and say buy the S3 you won't be disappointed but if you want a TT it has to be a RS.

Reactions: Kelza and Ash B
I'd say TTS myself. Lol i wouldnt even care about the hairdresser comments. Stage 2+ and you will be smiling every day :happy:
But if you need the extra space then the S3 will take care of you.

a love the scirocco r mate, mums got the 140 tdi nice car. always wanted an audi tho and 4wd

cheers for comments guys, ma fav is the s3 but looks of tts is better and rs is out the window taking me forever to save for S3-TTS :(

ya know...I'm an avant/wagon guy through and through. The car just does it for me. I like the 4 doors, the hatch, the looks and the utility. I don't see the appeal of the TTRS nor the R8. I guess I'd rather have a sleeper wagon than a "in your face look at me" car

TTRS 2 pricey for me s3 or TTS as there similar perfomance aswell, would love RS3 or TTRS way out my price range, suppose its each to there own,

I bought a S3, I'm 20 so the practicality of the S3 isn't too much of a need.

I do wish I'd spent a bit more and got a TTS. However, in a year I know I'll be fed up with the novelty of the TTS and wish I got the S3!
So, unlike my old car, I thought ahead a bit this time.

plus, since getting engaged the misses controls my money and apparently a TTS wasnt a clever buy :notme:

I do wish I'd spent a bit more and got a TTS. However, in a year I know I'll be fed up with the novelty of the TTS and wish I got the S3!

plus, since getting engaged the misses controls my money and apparently a TTS wasnt a clever buy :notme:

Wow, kids next and the S3 is better for that :whip:

I do like the TTS, styling is spot on especially for the front end. Would I swap my S3 for one, nope but if the price was right and close to that of my S3 I would have been tempted.

Two main dealer salesmen and an S3 owner have told me that the TTS is a really hard ride and that the S3 is actually more suited to fast driving on British roads because of that. I was really keen on a TTS prior to enquiring; would still love to try one out.
Bear in mind with the above that I had walked into dealers enquiring about buying a new car so for any cynics out there, in advising this they were actually losing money!

Wow, kids next and the S3 is better for that :whip:

I do like the TTS, styling is spot on especially for the front end. Would I swap my S3 for one, nope but if the price was right and close to that of my S3 I would have been tempted.

Noooooooo, no kids lol

Just enjoy it!

There is very little between the TTS and the S3 aside from looks,and in any case,once you begin modifying either,you would need to uprate the suspension of either,so as I said,just enjoy it.

I've got both, and the TTS to me is the better car ( it will be even better when N8 comes down to remap it )!!

It really boils down to what you want from the car...TTS handles better and is faster ( though not by a lot ) but will never be as practical as a hatchback.....As for the hairdresser comments, I haven't got much hair and my wife isn't a hairdresser, but the TTS with either of us driving has seen off many a so-called fast driver in an equivalent car, Audi or otherwise..:))

Beauty or practicality? Can you have both? The former is in the eyes of the beholder the latter is in the hands of your lifestyle. The TT does look a bit blobby and quite bulky dimension-wise, yet the interior is a little cramped and with the tiny window area somewhat claustrophobic. Add-on bits like spoilers look as if Audi are desperate to inject some masculinity. Not convinced its a car to be taken seriously and too many lowly versions are driven by secretary's and PR types. A diesel version!!!! passed me in the car park at Brooklands at the week-end, driven by a woman and it sounded like a tractor ( the car not the driver ! ). Horrid. The S3 might be the more informed choice, subtle looks, performance and practicality.

I'd love a tts but went with an s3 Sportback as have a little one so I a more practical choice. It is probably one of the most practical cars being fast, looks understated and has 5 doors.

However if i were still single it would def be the tts. More of a sports car.

I came close to buying a TTRS but decided it would be too claustrophobic, and crampt.

I'm 6ft2 and used to more cabin space in the S3's after 10+ years.

When RS3's residuals drop to the level I was looking at in the TTRS, then I might go down that route.

Reactions: RedDejavu
I am probably closer to 6ft 3. The MK1 TT was like looking out a post box. You could only just see traffic lights if you kept a car distance back from the line. I also didn't like the fact the drivers seat rested on the rear bench, in my optimum driving position. Now I appreciate, no one could ever sit behind me as a driver, but I didn't like the seat rubbing the rear bench. MK1 S3's did have more head room, better seats (electric recaros) and cabin space in my opinion, and much better visability. To be fair the MK2 TT is bigger, if you see Clarkson drive them on Youtube, he doesn't seem to have any issue, and jumps in quite freely without banging his head, but It still felt crampt. I bought my an 8P S3 instead.

TTS everyday mate.. It's far from a hairdressers car in my opinion

a sat in the tt and was 2 small had no room head was almost touching roof so al stick 2 what av always wanted thats the s3, as far as options go is it worth getting the sat nav and bose over the normal? a think it looks miles better with it to add to the amazing interior