Got a BMW 1 Series....

mark88

Reaction score
Got a 116i as a courtesy car this morning with 3k miles on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This car is awful, much worse than I imagined. Driving position is terrible. Steering is way too heavy, such a comparison to my S-line. The worse thing of all though is the gearbox, I've only driven the car a short time but when you change from 1st to 2nd it feels like changing from 4th to 1st at 30mph. I found it really hard to find a smooth change in the lower gears. Gear knob is a funny shape too.

Only good thing I could say about it is it feels pretty solid, but that's about it. Horrible car.

The motoring magazines rave about it except for poor rear seat leg room too.

Mind you I bought What HiFi's TV of the year, a Philips 32pf9830, kept it a week and sent it back - utter rubbish, so the magazines opinions are no more reliable than our own!

I have never been into Beemers and it is really only the 1 and current 6 series that I have really ever liked. Both ugly as hell - must be something to do with liking Saabs.......... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

A friend of mine has one. I'm getting used to the 'hearse' looks and it is even growing on me!

I'd never be able to get used to putting the key in on the left in the dash - very awkward as you have to do it with your left hand.

I take it the 1 Series was not supplied by your Audi dealer!

Cosmicblue, about that TV.

I looked at that Philips and wasn't so sure.

Decided on a Panasonic TX32LXD500 in the end - awesome!

Hangs on the wall in the kitchen with all the other bits in an adjacent cupboard. Cinema sound in the kitchen - you can't beat it!

[ QUOTE ]
Got a 116i as a courtesy car this morning with 3k miles on it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

This car is awful, much worse than I imagined. Driving position is terrible. Steering is way too heavy, such a comparison to my S-line. The worse thing of all though is the gearbox, I've only driven the car a short time but when you change from 1st to 2nd it feels like changing from 4th to 1st at 30mph. I found it really hard to find a smooth change in the lower gears. Gear knob is a funny shape too.

Only good thing I could say about it is it feels pretty solid, but that's about it. Horrible car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same issue in regards to the steering, I test drove the 120i when deciding on my A3 and also found the steering way too heavy for my liking, can't really comment on the manual gearbox though as I drove the auto box, nothing that special really in my opinion.

Added to that, the left rear door panel was detaching itself in true BMW fashion.

I also drove a 1 series before deciding on my A3. Kinda went there with the feeling that no way was I ever going to own something as mutherfking ugly as that but I should keep an open mind and it'd have to be something really special... So the A3 it ended up being!

I test drove one awhile back and i gotta say the diesel engine is very gud, gears where smooth and car was fairly quite, the worst bits being the driving position with the pedals, is it me or are the pedals too off centre? and the plastics felt cheap compared with my 8L A3. Overall not a bad car, but better cars on the market for similar monies

My wife has a 116. It is without doubt the most gutless car I have ever driven, the clutch delay valve pi$$es me off and the boot is tiny.

That said it drives like a beemer and is mechanically sound and has been reliable to date.

If you drove an A3 TDI after the 116 you would feel like your head was about to come off with the accelerative forces

Matt

All new BM's have it (apart from M cars) its a small valve that provides a softening effect when changing gear - it makes smooth changes quite difficult

[ QUOTE ]
I test drove one awhile back and i gotta say the diesel engine is very gud, gears where smooth and car was fairly quite, the worst bits being the driving position with the pedals, is it me or are the pedals too off centre? and the plastics felt cheap compared with my 8L A3. Overall not a bad car, but better cars on the market for similar monies

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right about the pedal. It's very cramped down there, I keep pressing the foot rest instead of the clutch.

Misses wanted to have a look at one before we got the A3, talked her out of going to look. Not too keen.

Neighbour down the street has just got a 130i and it looks OK, nothing really amazing no M pack by the looks of it....

[ QUOTE ]
Question is, do they rattle and creak as much as the A3!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to say no, but there's no low frequency rumble in the 1 series I'm driving due to it not being a Diesel.

1-series diesel is very nice, much better than 2,0TDI. But the rear legroom, well, lack of it is horrible. Nor did it feel as premium as A3, felt so grey inside. But I liked driving it.