EM TuningMonster Motorsport
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SPARTAN91
  • 1 Post By Reload

Thread: EBC TURBO GROOVE

Neutral

Status

EBC TURBO GROOVE

Hi well ive been searching past view days on reviews for the disk, found plenty of old ones but nothing recent, so im loooking for personal experience not a friend of a friends brother said they were rubbish lol. There bit more then OEM but there zinc coated look big special and if there abit better and dont melt im happy thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ramp1990 View Post
    Hi well ive been searching past view days on reviews for the disk, found plenty of old ones but nothing recent, so im loooking for personal experience not a friend of a friends brother said they were rubbish lol. There bit more then OEM but there zinc coated look big special and if there abit better and dont melt im happy thanks
    Are you asking about these ones
    untitled.jpg

4th Gear

Status
    Save your money & buy some decent pads. Grooves, dimples, drilled holes are all pretty much a gimmick on a road car.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by max69vk View Post
    Save your money & buy some decent pads. Grooves, dimples, drilled holes are all pretty much a gimmick on a road car.
    I wouldn't say they were a gimmick. People just need to use a setup appropriate to their needs. People run grooves etc on normal road driving and expect to have magically transformed their brakes into 8 pots. Grooves are designed to dissipate heat better and clean the pad face, drilled and dimpled just help heat dissipation.
    People also tend to get a upgraded pad which 9/10 times are designed to work at higher temperature than OE pads. So you can buy uprated pads and discs then find under light driving they're no better to use.

You need to find a setup applicable to your car. I had EBC turbo grooves and Tarox Strada pads on my last car. Against OE they were arguably a bit worse cold. However one sharp brake and some temperature in them they were another setup. The grooves helped on track days to stop the pads glazing by dissipating heat and cleaning the pads.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Likewise,I wouldn't say they're a gimmick,and have used cross drilled or grooved discs on a number of road cars,but only as part of a fully upgraded brake system,and I think that uprating only one area of a system will result in limited gains.

I'm from the school that says wait and save to uprate the entire brake system and get much better results.

Neutral

Status
    EBC Turbo Grooved Front Brake Discs AUDI S3

these ones??

i dont mind the stopping power of the standard brakes there warped so looking to replace them, my brakes get quiet hot down country roads and would want something that doesnt fade. There not much more then standard disks so if these can take the heat. Will be doing a fluid change at the same time, and full service. I dont fancy spending 2k on a big brake setup not because i dont think its worth it, just because i dont want to spend 2k on a already big list of mods lol

4th Gear

Status
    In reality Alex you probably put the point across better than I have after a few bevvies, however the point remains that on a road car with no other brake mods there'll be very limited if any differences in braking capabilities (hence me saying its a gimmick). For the money being spent on a set of 'performance' discs the money would be better spent on some decent pads & stainless steel brake lines.
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

Rarely neutral

Status

these ones??

i dont mind the stopping power of the standard brakes there warped so looking to replace them, my brakes get quiet hot down country roads and would want something that doesnt fade. There not much more then standard disks so if these can take the heat. Will be doing a fluid change at the same time, and full service. I dont fancy spending 2k on a big brake setup not because i dont think its worth it, just because i dont want to spend 2k on a already big list of mods lol
    Fair enough.

If the current set is warped,then there's little to lose by trying an aftermarket set of discs.

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status

these ones??

The disc in the picture are EBC new compound high carbon steel (which I have ordered) and are the next grade up from the turbo ones.I got the ulitmax ones at the moment with the green stuff pads which I had on for nearly 2 years and and along with the stainless steel brake lines I'm ready to fit have made a difference just need to warm them up first to get the best out of them plus I,ve just remaped my car so I,ll stick with the EBC.
    ramp1990 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN91 View Post
    The disc in the picture are EBC new compound high carbon steel (which I have ordered) and are the next grade up from the turbo ones.I got the ulitmax ones at the moment with the green stuff pads which I had on for nearly 2 years and and along with the stainless steel brake lines I'm ready to fit have made a difference just need to warm them up first to get the best out of them plus I,ve just remaped my car so I,ll stick with the EBC.
    Thats all i needed to see. I'll be ordering my disks this week after pay day. And i'll be reviewing them after a few weeks living with the disks setup.

Bird is the Word!

Status
    I have the EBC Ultimax discs and yellowstuff pads. Not a massive amount of love for EBC around here, most people seem to have a friend of a friend who knows someone down the pub who's brother's father's sister's boy has a set of EBC brakes explode on them
    To be honest I'm quite happy with them and wrote a user review a while back to that effect
    SPARTAN91 likes this.
    S3 8P2 Ice Silver, RNS-E, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Adaptive xenons, black styling pack, sunroof, privacy glass
    Mods since owned: Milltek Resonated TBE, Neuspeed P-Flo, Loba HPFP, Sachs Clutch with Loba SMF, Unicorn Motor Developments custom remap, brakes + suspension upgrades, LEDs internal and external, more interior kit

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Reload View Post
    I have the EBC Ultimax discs and yellowstuff pads. Not a massive amount of love for EBC around here, most people seem to have a friend of a friend who knows someone down the pub who's brother's father's sister's boy has a set of EBC brakes explode on them
    To be honest I'm quite happy with them and wrote a user review a while back to that effect
    Aliens ate my brake calipers....

Seriously,my only beef around EBC is their pads,which were underwhelming at best,but like everything else,brakes and how they feel are a very personal thing,and many people are happy with these.

Neutral

Status
    did u get round to fitting the carbon disks?

Neutral

Status
    Disks and pads should be here today/tomorrow any thing else worth changing while im doing the disks? fluid change / brake lines? cheers

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status
    did u get round to fitting the carbon disks?
    Waiting for this weekend if the weathers ok as I have standed rears to do as well have also got some new rear brake lines
    want to do it all at once so I only have to bleed the brakes once.

btt 001.jpg btt 002.jpgoii 002.jpgbtt 003.jpg

Neutral

Status

Well they came just need few more parts and fluid thennn fitting