Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11

    S3 running lean after CAI... Code P0171

    Hi,
    I've just fitted a CAI to my s3, ran a dtc check today and it's given P0171 which is fuel trim: too lean.

    According to ross tech, common cause is intake leak obviously meaning lots more air getting in which sounds right with the new CAI.

    Has anyone else had similar issues? I'm hoping to go to stage 2+ before long, but for now running stage 1 bluefin.

    So mapping will probably sort it out in the future, but for now..

    Whats your thoughts? I'm guessing my economy will be affected but other than that it shouldn't cause any damage?

    And will the ECU adapt the trims over time to accommodate?


    Any help much appreciated,
    cheers
    Adam

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    Running lean is really not clever at all!
    your fuel does many things, one being cooling the piston. Less fuel means less cooling which can cause catastrophic damage.
    However, it could be just a case of a bit better economy.

    Really worth sorting and trying to avoid spirited driving in the mean time. Better safe than sorry.

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Thanks! I had wondered, haven't driven spiritedly since the light came on.

    What do you think is the best thing to do?

    I don't know why this hasn't happened to everyone with a CAI, admittedly I have made my CAI but have made the maf section the same cross sectional area, and used the itg g60 filter. So it's very much exactly the same as the itg unit.

    Does anyone on here run the itg or any other CAI with stage one mapping?

    Cheers

  5. #4
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    I'm running a ITG on standard map no issues.

    It might be worth taking it somewhere who specialise in these engines or have more of a understanding?
    im sure someone on here might know and be able to help though.

  6. #5
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamSansom View Post
    Thanks! I had wondered, haven't driven spiritedly since the light came on.

    What do you think is the best thing to do?

    I don't know why this hasn't happened to everyone with a CAI, admittedly I have made my CAI but have made the maf section the same cross sectional area, and used the itg g60 filter. So it's very much exactly the same as the itg unit.

    Does anyone on here run the itg or any other CAI with stage one mapping?

    Cheers
    I'm currently using an ITG on Stg4 mapping with no issues.......small differences in the intakes can make big differences in airflow,and you need to get someone who knows what he's doing to take a look at whats going on.

  7. #6
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    Yeah, Stage 2 and over seems fine, that's what makes me wonder if the mapping isnt right for the intake, maybe the fuel trims are going out of range because it can't adjust far enough to compensate for the increase in airflow.

    Ill have to find somone who can do some logs to see what's happening.

    Can anyone recommend the best place around shropshire/west mids?

    Thanks for the help so far

  8. #7
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    Running lean is really not clever at all!
    your fuel does many things, one being cooling the piston. Less fuel means less cooling which can cause catastrophic damage.
    However, it could be just a case of a bit better economy.

    Really worth sorting and trying to avoid spirited driving in the mean time. Better safe than sorry.
    Are you 100% certain that it affects the engine? If it were a cooling problem, wouldn't it show on the temp guage?

    I've got this problem with one of the Sensors which is giving this error and I was told it will only really affect fuel economy and thats it. This info comes from a very reputable garage of NW London.

    P.S I was told that the sensor is around £174.

  9. #8
    coreythorny's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    418
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fifty5 View Post
    Are you 100% certain that it affects the engine? If it were a cooling problem, wouldn't it show on the temp guage?

    I've got this problem with one of the Sensors which is giving this error and I was told it will only really affect fuel economy and thats it. This info comes from a very reputable garage of NW London.

    P.S I was told that the sensor is around £174.
    Yes mate, running too rich can be just as bad oil. Same as the too little/too much oil debate.

    Worth a read: What Are the Dangers of Running Lean? | eHow.co.uk

    im not saying your car will go bang or that it won't. It's a combination of so many things which the above does partially cover. It's definately worth looking into though. Easiest way is monitor your AFR to see what it's running at. If the AFR is ok it would favour the idea of a faulty sensor.

  10. #9
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by coreythorny View Post
    Yes mate, running too rich can be just as bad oil. Same as the too little/too much oil debate.

    Worth a read: What Are the Dangers of Running Lean? | eHow.co.uk

    im not saying your car will go bang or that it won't. It's a combination of so many things which the above does partially cover. It's definately worth looking into though. Easiest way is monitor your AFR to see what it's running at. If the AFR is ok it would favour the idea of a faulty sensor.
    Thanks. Sorry to OP for hijacking the thread but; how can I monitor AFR? The Garage did say it was a faulty sensor but I didn't go ahead with the change since I thought it was expensive since I purcahsed the car 2 days back then. Is there anything else I can spot? I've a 1.6 Sportback and managed about 225miles (London) in half a tank. Does that indicate anything?

    One more thing I recalled - the report from OBD does say System Too Lean - Intermittent. Perhaps that is why the garage didn't insist on changing it??
    Last edited by 37; 12th May 2013 at 15:56.

  11. #10
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fifty5 View Post
    Are you 100% certain that it affects the engine? If it were a cooling problem, wouldn't it show on the temp guage?

    I've got this problem with one of the Sensors which is giving this error and I was told it will only really affect fuel economy and thats it. This info comes from a very reputable garage of NW London.

    P.S I was told that the sensor is around £174.
    Exactly as corey says....

    Running lean,especially under boost,is potentially an engine killer.

    High EGTs are bad for the turbo,and high cylinder temps can result in piston damage.

  12. #11
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Could someone confirm which part # /sensor do I need so that I can try and find it myself, perhaps a bit cheaper?!

  13. #12
    JPK
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    278
    There is a 40 page thread on vwvortex about fuel trim issues with aftermarket intakes. I would be VERY careful before running homemade intakes, no matter how skilled you are. Forge stuffed it up with their 'Wintake' and they do a lot of r&d.

    VWVortex.com - Aftermarket Intakes and Fuel Trim Issues
    2005 A3 2.0T DSG Oettinger Body Styling, 19" RS5 Reps, APR Stage 1, Forge Twintake, Remus catback, BSH PCV Fix, 034 Motorsport Mounts, WALK, Whiteline bushings (F&R), Whiteline RSB, Whiteline BSK, Whiteline adjustable end links, H&R Sport Cup Kit, Stoptech Drilled Rotors, Hawk Pads, Tyrolsport stainless lines, Tyrolsport Calliper bushings, Tyrolsport DeadSet Subframe kit.

  14. #13
    Lewis583's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fifty5 View Post
    Could someone confirm which part # /sensor do I need so that I can try and find it myself, perhaps a bit cheaper?!
    There are quite a few sensors on the engine that affect the air/fuel ratio. So without knowing which sensor they said was the issue, no.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

    2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

    ** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

  15. #14
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,308
    Quote Originally Posted by 5fifty5 View Post
    Could someone confirm which part # /sensor do I need so that I can try and find it myself, perhaps a bit cheaper?!
    It's not worth trying to save money on what could be an expensive problem.

    As above there are many areas where problems can arise and if large companies can still have issues with fuel trims then you have fewer options.

  16. #15
    37
    37's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Area 51
    Posts
    118
    Thanks for replies chaps. I must add that I've a normal Sportback without any mods at all. Chaps at AudiVWSpecialist didn't insist on changing and only recommended the change since it will affect the fuel economy. I haven't got any lights on the speedo either. It was some Lambda sensor (can't recall ). Googling online, a lot of people have had the vaccum issue. How can I go about testing the vaccum :S
    Last edited by 37; 13th May 2013 at 15:48.

  17. #16
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    11
    The vwvortex thread is a good read!

    I think I need to get some logs sharp ish to see what's happening.

    Does anyone know who's closest to Shropshire with VCDS?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Running Lean and bad Idle problems after remap
    By Ryanmt in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 25th October 2010, 11:26
  2. Running lean!!!
    By S4twiggy in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 15th December 2009, 18:12
  3. A4 Cab 1.8T running lean and over revving
    By blackpool1974 in forum VCDS (formerly VAG-COM) forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 5th October 2009, 22:35
  4. running lean i think
    By slight_problem in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 13th August 2009, 12:01
  5. Engine fault code P0171
    By joni5alive in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 20th November 2008, 17:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO