A\C Noises

cdb2

Reaction score
A couple of us have noticed we get funny noises from the a\c when warming up, knocking and ticking noises, almost like something is expanding. Usually only does it from cold and then disappears. Always done it since day one.

Is this normal, does everyone get them?

Cheers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

No, nothing on the two A3's I have owned, both quiet as a mouse on the A/C front

So far I haven't noticed any noises from the A/C but my previous car used to do this a lot (206GTi).

No noises coming from the A/C but,now that the weather is getting cold,I have noticed it's performance is poor compared with my previous A4.
My A3 mists up far more readily.

[ QUOTE ]
A couple of us have noticed we get funny noises from the a\c when warming up, knocking and ticking noises, almost like something is expanding. Usually only does it from cold and then disappears. Always done it since day one.

Is this normal, does everyone get them?

Cheers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dont know about the A3 but my Passat has gone from a similar ticking to a chugging sound. Apparently it is the flap which seals the air flow when you switch to "recirculate" which expands when warm and shrinks when cold. It is fitted with a cog mechanism which causes a clicking sound when it tries to move the flap or check its position. Something in the Passat has tipped it over the edge and now it just makes a constant "chug-chug-chug" sound ALL THE TIME.
I would suggest you get it checked if its causing you concern...Total dash removal on the Passat just to replace the flap/cog combo (2quid for parts, couple of hundred for labour) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Thanks for that. Mine just chugs when cold so guess it is just expanding and contracting.

My Sportback does it as well. You hear a faint clicking from somewhere in the dash.

[ QUOTE ]
No noises coming from the A/C but,now that the weather is getting cold,I have noticed it's performance is poor compared with my previous A4.
My A3 mists up far more readily.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, mine is poor at demisting, only noticed this week when the winter finally hit!

also get a strange ticking sound, comes from the passenger footwell?

I get the same sounds coming from the dashboard. When I turn the heat up (about 23-24 c) I hear the noises. Sounds like the dashboard or something else is expanding due to heat.
Hope is nothing serious.