Top edge of windscreen...

stevieboy

Reaction score
Has anyone else thought the following or is it just me....

At the top edge of the windscreen where it meets the roof, the two components are far from 'flush fitting' for want of a better description.

The front edge of the roof line is 1/4" proud of the glass line.

I noticed this when cleaning the car the other day. Several bugs had caught this 'lip' and they were ****** hard to shift.

The quality of the paint there isn't the greatest either.

To me, it almost appears that a trim strip or something similar is missing - Something that would fit flush to both roof and screen and smooth out the join(?).

Anyone....!

I'm inclined to agree - the paint quality is fine on mine, but the gap is a little untidy - the Sportback rear window has the same idea. Just thinking about the lady wife's Ka is the same as well.

I believe the technology is called 'Direct Glazing' where the glass is literally bonded (glued) in situ, so the conventional rubber seal between glass and body is no longer required.

I'd have though the gap would have generated wind noise - but hey what do I know?

Their is still a rubber seal on these screens, it comes already attached to the glass and is then glued into the metal seat as you say.

There has to be a gap round the edge to allow for temperature expansion of the glass and flex in the body work, and manufacturing tolerances too......

As well as this, I noticed another thing on my Sportback yesterday when cleaning the car. Water doesn't drain out of the small channel in the bodywork directly under the bottom of the rear glass screen. Fills with dirt off the screen to start with then is difficult to clean and dry properly. Buggers up the polishing too if you catch some remaining water with the cloth!

Yep, mine does this also - suppose they all do.

I've taken to blowing out the water with the air line when I'm going to polish!