S3 MFSW to FBMFSW - Weird Problem?!

realstig

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been a 'viewer' and read many threads here over the years. I really hope somebody can help...

I have a 56/2007 Audi S3 that had the normal multi function steering wheel. I purchased a FBMFSW (including the airbag) from a 2010 S3, everything fitted in fine and there are no warning lights on the instrument cluster. However, the buttons on the steering wheel do not light up nor do they work. :ermm:

I've had a look at the original airbag and wiring loom that came out of the car and it is 8J0 971 589 Q.

I thought it was supposed to be a straight forward fit? I don't know the part number for the wiring loom that came with the FBMFSW as that is now in the car but I presume it would be the correct one?

Can anybody help? (I have cruise control too, specc'd from the factory)

Thanks in advance.

Could it be the fuse? As it looks like I'm getting no power at all.

I might just put the original steering wheel back in and make sure everything still works...

My car already had a MFSW, so it shouldn't need coding?

Also, I would still expect power and lights to the buttons if it was a coding issue.

If you already had MFSW that worked correctly then I won't need coding as its already done and I have done this myself in the past. On my last a3 when I changed to FBMFSW I plug for the MF wast clipped in properly and they didn't light up or work so maybe give that a try that's only reason i could think of.

If you already had MFSW that worked correctly then I won't need coding as its already done and I have done this myself in the past. On my last a3 when I changed to FBMFSW I plug for the MF wast clipped in properly and they didn't light up or work so maybe give that a try that's only reason i could think of.

Ok I'm going to take it apart now and will take a look again - thanks!

Just thought I would this thread, a3_sline_tdi was spot on, many thanks!

I took the wheel apart, made sure everything was connected tightly and voila!

No problem mate glad you got it sorted.

Reactions: realstig
The other thing I've noticed is the steering wheel isn't straight any more, on a straight road I have to turn it to the left. I made sure I put it back on exactly straight and before I changed the SW, it was exactly straight i.e. tracking wasn't required.

when you fitted it back on did you see where the little notch is on the slip ring that shows you the centre of the steering angle?
you may need to do a steering angle reset in vcds if not

when you fitted it back on did you see where the little notch is on the slip ring that shows you the centre of the steering angle?
you may need to do a steering angle reset in vcds if not

Yeah I made sure the little notch and the middle of the steering wheel lined up perfectly. Will a steering angle reset physically alter the alignment of the steering wheel?

Is there anybody in the Manchester / North Manchester area who has vcds?

The numpties at ATS Camden (London) tried to track my wheels after i first fitted the 19s and said they couldnt do it. I drove into the place with the steering wheel perfectly straight and they returned it back with it at a 45 degree to the left. took it to Elite a couple days later who straightened up the tracking but the car still thought that it needed the steering wheel to be 45 degrees to the left in order to go straight... did a steering angle reset there and then and it straightened up the wheel perfectly.

That's interesting to say the least! Is it fairly straight forward to do the reset?

Wow...I don't think I'm going to be able to do that. Looks like I need to find somebody who can do it for me.

Any takers? I'll contribute towards the service