Front Discs and Pads

bigyin

Reaction score
Hey guys

Car just returned to me from audi, they tell me that the front discs are close to the end of their life and that I should look to change them sometime soon. I did a quick search but cant find any reccomendations for where to buy the front brakes, can anyone advise.

I'm running stage 1, but find that the oem set up is fine for the type of driving that I do. I found some EBC High Carbon discs for £160 which i thought was pretty good, has anyone run with these discs. They're the solid variety not grooved or drilled.

Any info would be appreciated.

Hey guys

Car just returned to me from audi, they tell me that the front discs are close to the end of their life and that I should look to change them sometime soon. I did a quick search but cant find any reccomendations for where to buy the front brakes, can anyone advise.

I'm running stage 1, but find that the oem set up is fine for the type of driving that I do. I found some EBC High Carbon discs for £160 which i thought was pretty good, has anyone run with these discs. They're the solid variety not grooved or drilled.

Any info would be appreciated.

I've just ordered some of these discs but I've gone for the high carbon disc's with the v shape grooves.Had the ulitmax discs on for the past 2 years with the green stuff pads no problem with this set up at all.

Save your money and just get some standard discs from eurocarparts or GSF. Go for a decent brand like pagid/brembo. Same for the pads.

If you are just using the car for normal use and aren't particularly heavy on the brakes then there is no need for high carbon/grooved/drilled etc.

bigyin, it all depends on how you intend to use the car, you say you are happy with the OEM discs/pads so the EBC stuff should be fine for the road. As others have said no real need for the grooved discs unless you are heading on track - the grooves are more about cooling and stopping pad glazing at high temperature.

PAGIDs pads are great, I've used them on all sorts of performance /tuned cars to great effect. I currently have them on my RS3, which sees the occasional track day. Probably overkill if you just want road use.

As the others have said, Pagid are a good brand of pad and are used in many OE applications. Another brand I have experience of is Ferodo, the Ferodo Premier range are a good OE equivalent pad that won't break the bank.

I haven't used EBC myself, though I have read/heard quite a few bad reviews on some of their products and hence have stayed away. They could have got their sh!t together recently though, so who knows.

Im using standard discs with brembo pads stops well, dont used mintex i used them for a week and my pads crumbled away it was horrible and then grooved the discs which peeeeed me off as i had to replace them

I recieved a quote from my local indy for £335 (not including fitting) for EBC discs and Pads or £325 for OEM. The EBC discs are drilled and grooved, but as has been said above I don't need drilled and grooved. ECP are coming in at about £280 for Pagid Discs and Pads, which is very reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for cheap brakes, just don't see any value in buying uprated for an application I'm very unlikely to use given the current OEM set up hasn't let me down so far yet.

Get a second opinion about the brakes. I've found dealers are happy to say this when the brakes still have up to 40% life in them. Scare tactics....:scared2:

Dealers will advise if they feel they will wear out before the next service is due - if you are on annual service then you probably have 6 months at least in them but start looking at options, or get a free brake check at Kwik-Fit for a second opinion if you don't know one end of a pad from another.

If you are on long life servicing then forget about it altogether for at least 6 months !

Are you aware any stealer will do the front discs and pads for £270 fitted under the Audi fixed price servicing scheme? That's for any car up to 2.0 engine size including the S3.

I was going to go down the Pagid route for my S3 but as the OEM kit has done well enough for my needs it seemed the easier option.