AH FabricationsVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

Front Discs and Pads

Hey guys

Car just returned to me from audi, they tell me that the front discs are close to the end of their life and that I should look to change them sometime soon. I did a quick search but cant find any reccomendations for where to buy the front brakes, can anyone advise.

I'm running stage 1, but find that the oem set up is fine for the type of driving that I do. I found some EBC High Carbon discs for £160 which i thought was pretty good, has anyone run with these discs. They're the solid variety not grooved or drilled.

Any info would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

RED FIVE STANDING BY
    Zookeeper Champion

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bigyin View Post
    Hey guys

Car just returned to me from audi, they tell me that the front discs are close to the end of their life and that I should look to change them sometime soon. I did a quick search but cant find any reccomendations for where to buy the front brakes, can anyone advise.

I'm running stage 1, but find that the oem set up is fine for the type of driving that I do. I found some EBC High Carbon discs for £160 which i thought was pretty good, has anyone run with these discs. They're the solid variety not grooved or drilled.

Any info would be appreciated.
    I've just ordered some of these discs but I've gone for the high carbon disc's with the v shape grooves.Had the ulitmax discs on for the past 2 years with the green stuff pads no problem with this set up at all.

4th Gear

Status
    Save your money and just get some standard discs from eurocarparts or GSF. Go for a decent brand like pagid/brembo. Same for the pads.

If you are just using the car for normal use and aren't particularly heavy on the brakes then there is no need for high carbon/grooved/drilled etc.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

1st Gear

Status
    Arent Pagid just a cheap make they use, Ive had to change many brand new pads in the past becasue the cheap ones just dont work.

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    ECP with PARTS20 discount code FTW.

Shark Performance Shropshire

Status
    Pagid are used in Many high performance applications as standard eg Porsche Mercedes AMG models

MBK
    5th Gear

Status
    bigyin, it all depends on how you intend to use the car, you say you are happy with the OEM discs/pads so the EBC stuff should be fine for the road. As others have said no real need for the grooved discs unless you are heading on track - the grooves are more about cooling and stopping pad glazing at high temperature.

PAGIDs pads are great, I've used them on all sorts of performance /tuned cars to great effect. I currently have them on my RS3, which sees the occasional track day. Probably overkill if you just want road use.

4th Gear

Status
    As the others have said, Pagid are a good brand of pad and are used in many OE applications. Another brand I have experience of is Ferodo, the Ferodo Premier range are a good OE equivalent pad that won't break the bank.

I haven't used EBC myself, though I have read/heard quite a few bad reviews on some of their products and hence have stayed away. They could have got their sh!t together recently though, so who knows.
    2008 E92 BMW 335i M-sport
    1990 Golf GTi w/ a 20v heart BUILD THREAD
    Full VCDS

2006 A3 2.0T quattro S-line R.I.P. You will be missed.

** Breaking - 8L 1997 Audi A3 1.8T. **

5th Gear

Status
    Im using standard discs with brembo pads stops well, dont used mintex i used them for a week and my pads crumbled away it was horrible and then grooved the discs which peeeeed me off as i had to replace them
    A3 2.0TDI FWD sportback with GT1756 250.3bhp 336ft lb, forge boost hoses red, milltek decat system, BMC panel filter, golf gti edition 30 full front brakes brembo pads, black honeycomb grill, full oem s line kit + cupra r lip, LED side lights, OEM xenons, LED interior lighting, LED A8 number plate lights, boost gauge, alloy catch can with red hoses, FBSW, windows tinted, de-badged, now on air ride with chassis notch BBS CH

Ads
    License to drive

Status
    ATE are OEM too.

Neutral

Status
    I recieved a quote from my local indy for £335 (not including fitting) for EBC discs and Pads or £325 for OEM. The EBC discs are drilled and grooved, but as has been said above I don't need drilled and grooved. ECP are coming in at about £280 for Pagid Discs and Pads, which is very reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for cheap brakes, just don't see any value in buying uprated for an application I'm very unlikely to use given the current OEM set up hasn't let me down so far yet.

5th Gear

Status
    Get a second opinion about the brakes. I've found dealers are happy to say this when the brakes still have up to 40% life in them. Scare tactics....

1st Gear

Status
    Dealers will advise if they feel they will wear out before the next service is due - if you are on annual service then you probably have 6 months at least in them but start looking at options, or get a free brake check at Kwik-Fit for a second opinion if you don't know one end of a pad from another.

If you are on long life servicing then forget about it altogether for at least 6 months !

Neutral

Status
    Go to TPS, get some genuine parts, they last longer and perform better!

Neutral

Status
    Are you aware any stealer will do the front discs and pads for £270 fitted under the Audi fixed price servicing scheme? That's for any car up to 2.0 engine size including the S3.

I was going to go down the Pagid route for my S3 but as the OEM kit has done well enough for my needs it seemed the easier option.