EM TuningJMB Retrofits
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    336

    Stage 2+ S3 v RS3 v S4

    Recently bought an S3 with stage 1 REVO, so running ~300 bhp. Plan to go to stage 2+ with full milltek, AmD intake and autotech HPFP which is going to cost £2000+ (hoping to pick up an exhaust second hand!). It's an S-Tronic so clutch should be OK, but may also plump for the £300 box remap.

    However I've been driving our S4 again today (3.0 S/C version) and while its only 10% more powerful on paper (~330 bhp) the way that power is delivered from a charged 3.0 with the 7 speed S-Tronic makes the S3 feel a bit like a diesel!

    Taking the s3 to 2+ levels should mean ~360 HP, but its still only a 2.0 engine underneath. Just not sure about spending the cash on the S3 or holding tight a few months and going for an RS3? Anyone driven both to comment on how a ~360 HP S3 compares with a 340 HP RS3 (or a standard S4/S5)?

    Not driven an RS3 yet, but imagine its somewhere in between. Won't match the S4 for low down torque, but once the turbo is fully on boost then is expect it would be kicking out a bit more.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    Tay
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Warrington
    Posts
    366
    I wish I knew the answer to this for you, but I'd like to know myself too as I'm considering trading the S3 in against an S4.

    Have you considered mapping the S4 instead? I saw a Chris Harris video where a Revo Stage 2 S4 matched a brand new RS4 almost exactly.

  4. #3
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    336
    S4 (Avant) is our 'family car' - wife drives it mostly, so its stock. Had it since new and didn't want to mess with warranty as all maps until recently were ECU out jobs.

    Keeps her insurance straight fwd too as its not modified.

    If it were mine and she drove something else then it would be milltek'd and mapped!

  5. #4
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by elrao View Post
    Recently bought an S3 with stage 1 REVO, so running ~300 bhp. Plan to go to stage 2+ with full milltek, AmD intake and autotech HPFP which is going to cost £2000+ (hoping to pick up an exhaust second hand!). It's an S-Tronic so clutch should be OK, but may also plump for the £300 box remap.

    However I've been driving our S4 again today (3.0 S/C version) and while its only 10% more powerful on paper (~330 bhp) the way that power is delivered from a charged 3.0 with the 7 speed S-Tronic makes the S3 feel a bit like a diesel!

    Taking the s3 to 2+ levels should mean ~360 HP, but its still only a 2.0 engine underneath. Just not sure about spending the cash on the S3 or holding tight a few months and going for an RS3? Anyone driven both to comment on how a ~360 HP S3 compares with a 340 HP RS3 (or a standard S4/S5)?

    Not driven an RS3 yet, but imagine its somewhere in between. Won't match the S4 for low down torque, but once the turbo is fully on boost then is expect it would be kicking out a bit more.
    It's all going to come down to throttle response,torque,and power/weight ratio.

    A Stg2+ S3 at 360bhp has about 240bhp/tonne.

    An RS4 comes in at about 240bhp/tonne also,and a stock RS3 would be around 210bhp/tonne.

    In short,there won't be a whole lot in it.

  6. #5
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    336
    It's more the throttle response and torque curve I'm interested in. The S4 is very smooth, would imagine a stage 2+ S3 is going to have a hell of a torque kick once the turbo comes on boost. RS3 - somewhere in the middle!

  7. #6
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by elrao View Post
    It's more the throttle response and torque curve I'm interested in. The S4 is very smooth, would imagine a stage 2+ S3 is going to have a hell of a torque kick once the turbo comes on boost. RS3 - somewhere in the middle!
    They all will have a different delivery......a Stg2+ S3 is pretty tractable,and drives well,but there is a definite step when it comes onto full boost,although that can be tailored with the software.

    I still think that all things considered,it would be a close run.

  8. #7
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    my personal opinion of stage 2+ is that because there's more boost the car now feels dead off boost, this wasnt pronounced in stock form but there's a pretty huge difference in on boost power with 2+

    does anyone else with revo2+ hate the throttle map? It feels stock until you get to about 80-90% throttle then bang - full boost, should I be looking to try the linear throttle map instead? sorry for the mini-hijack there
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  9. #8
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    336
    That's partly my worry. Off boost its just a 2.0...with compression set for a turbo.

    S4 is always going to be a 3.0 with a charger, with a very linear power delivery. Less fun - but more pleasurable for day to day

  10. #9
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by elrao View Post
    That's partly my worry. Off boost its just a 2.0...with compression set for a turbo.

    S4 is always going to be a 3.0 with a charger, with a very linear power delivery. Less fun - but more pleasurable for day to day
    CR on an S3 is quite high...about 10:1 or thereabouts,so off boost response isnt bad.

    One of my old Cosworths was around 8:1.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Maybe my post came across wrong, it isn't terribly slow an unresponsive off boost (certainly not fast though) but the power on boost gives that illusion of it being slow
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  12. #11
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by R34nel View Post
    my personal opinion of stage 2+ is that because there's more boost the car now feels dead off boost, this wasnt pronounced in stock form but there's a pretty huge difference in on boost power with 2+

    does anyone else with revo2+ hate the throttle map? It feels stock until you get to about 80-90% throttle then bang - full boost, should I be looking to try the linear throttle map instead? sorry for the mini-hijack there
    I have Revo stage 2+ and my car feels fine. Although the only time I don't have boost is when I'm setting off. But that doesn't last long as I get to 2000rpm pretty quick and the turbo starts to slowly come in and at 3000rpm it's just crazy! Easy thing to do is keep it above 2500rpm.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    What I Meant was that at any revs the throttle isn't progressive, if you steadily press down the throttle whilst accelerating you can feel the boost kick you up the arse when the pedal is almost fully down, so when the pedal is pressed less than let's say 80% the car feels like it has stock power, press that last bit and it feels like someone has shunted me

    I was under the impression that was why revo released a linear throttle map so the pedal is progressive, infact you may have this map?
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  14. #13
    DJ-S3's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Wakefield
    Posts
    683
    I definitely don't have the linear one. I can assure you that. Hahaha

  15. #14
    poli84's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Melbourne. Australia
    Posts
    430
    I have a Revo 2+ and I've run both the standard and linear maps.
    I started my 2+ journey with the linear and didn't like it at all before switching to the regular map.

    The reasons for my switch to the regular map seem to be the complete opposite of what you are saying.
    With the linear map, it was too linear and felt that i didn't have power until my foot was buried in the carpet (at 100% throttle).

    The way an electronic throttle is designed to work is that you can obtain 100% throttle when you are only depressing the accelerator at say 70% thus, the car is moving along at a faster speed with less throttle depression.

    If you feel that you don't get full throttle unless you have depressed your accelerator to 80%, then I don't believe the linear throttle is what you are after because at 80% depression, you will only be getting 80% throttle.

    (Sorry for thread hijack, just answering question above).
    MY10 S3 Sportback - 6Sp Manual - Sprint Blue
    REVO Stage 2+ /
    Forge Twintake / 3" Miltek Hybrid DP/​ Autotech HPFP
    Bilstein PSS10
    / H&R 10/12mm Spacers / BFI Dog Bone /EBC Yellowstuff

    BUILD THREAD

  16. #15
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    336
    All useful info!

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by poli84 View Post
    I have a Revo 2+ and I've run both the standard and linear maps.
    I started my 2+ journey with the linear and didn't like it at all before switching to the regular map.

    The reasons for my switch to the regular map seem to be the complete opposite of what you are saying.
    With the linear map, it was too linear and felt that i didn't have power until my foot was buried in the carpet (at 100% throttle).

    The way an electronic throttle is designed to work is that you can obtain 100% throttle when you are only depressing the accelerator at say 70% thus, the car is moving along at a faster speed with less throttle depression.

    If you feel that you don't get full throttle unless you have depressed your accelerator to 80%, then I don't believe the linear throttle is what you are after because at 80% depression, you will only be getting 80% throttle.

    (Sorry for thread hijack, just answering question above).
    I'm not sure which I have then as it feels as though not much happens unless I floor it, I find if makes the car feel really heavy and sluggish unless I plant it then it flies, I'd prefer to use whichever map requires less throttle input, could you describe to me how your throttle feels with the non linear map?
    Audi S3 : revo stage 2+

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by elrao View Post
    S4 (Avant) is our 'family car' - wife drives it mostly, so its stock. Had it since new and didn't want to mess with warranty as all maps until recently were ECU out jobs.

    Keeps her insurance straight fwd too as its not modified.

    If it were mine and she drove something else then it would be milltek'd and mapped!
    Whats the Stage 1 bhp/tonne ratio?

    Cheers

  19. #18
    Rick @ Unicorn Motor Dev.'s Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Stockport, Cheshire
    Posts
    748
    The RS3 will feel the torquiest/most tractable out of all three. When the boost is increased after the HPFP mods etc on the S3, that will feel the quickest once on song, but there is a noticeable difference when coming on boost.

    Rick
    Unicorn Motor Developments. Bespoke Calibration and Remapping Services
    www.unicornmotordevelopments.com

  20. #19
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto View Post
    Whats the Stage 1 bhp/tonne ratio?

    Cheers
    Whats the difference between Stage 2 and Stage 2+?

  21. #20
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto View Post
    Whats the Stage 1 bhp/tonne ratio?

    Cheers
    Approx 200bhp/tonne.

  22. #21
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto View Post
    Whats the difference between Stage 2 and Stage 2+?
    Stg 2 is around 330bhp and uses the stock HPFP.

    Stg 2+ is around 360-370bhp and needs all of the Stg2 mods( CAI and exhaust) plus an uprated HPFP.

  23. #22
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Stg 2 is around 330bhp and uses the stock HPFP.

    Stg 2+ is around 360-370bhp and needs all of the Stg2 mods( CAI and exhaust) plus an uprated HPFP.
    Cheers for the info, what supporting mods do you need for Stage 2 (with Revo)?

  24. #23
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,360
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto View Post
    Cheers for the info, what supporting mods do you need for Stage 2 (with Revo)?
    You should have the full turbo back exhaust and a CAI,both are required to get the best out of the mods,and will increase power and torque over what you'd get without them.


    At Stg2 or above,you should also be thinking of uprating the stock wobbly suspension with stiffer ARBs,and better dampers.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. RS3 Stage I Remap
    By P_G in forum APR
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 22nd April 2013, 17:38
  2. Picking up my rs3 after revo stage 1 remap today!
    By nshort10 in forum RS3 Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 13th October 2012, 14:35
  3. Audi rs3 stage 2
    By nshort10 in forum Revo Technik
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 7th September 2012, 18:41
  4. 2.5L dual stage turbo RS3...
    By Dennis Moeller in forum RS3 Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 3rd June 2011, 20:35
  5. RS3...
    By NeuSkoolA3 in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 26th February 2003, 00:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO