Definitive Answer - Has a 2007 2.0 TDI sport 140 got a DPF ?

Andyc567

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently joined your superb forum to look up information as I am hoping to buy an A3. I have now looked at over 10 cars ranging from 2005 to 2008 cars, both 1.9 TDI's and 2.0 TDI's. I think I have settled on a late 2007 2.0 TDI 140 but after spending many hours searching on here I am unable to determine if it will have a DPF fitted? I do know that my neighbours 60 plate A3 SE definitely has one as he has had trouble with it, and I also know that his road tax is only £30 a year as I have looked at his tax disc. So given that the road tax on the 57 plate 2.0 Sport that I am thinking about is £140 a year does that give me any clues that due to the emissions being different that is may or may not have the dreaded DPF fitted ? Any help would appreciated. Many Thanks..

my 07 had 1

Thanks Bez1001.. I did read somewhere on here that all 170's had DPF, was yours a 170 or a 140? Also does anyone know how I can visibly check for a DPF when I look at the car or what the definitive answer is regarding the 140 sport ? Thanks All..

Look inside your engine compartment near or on the rh wheel arch. There should be a sticker with the engine type. Mine is a BKD which is the earlier 16v engine without the DPF. Was pleased to find that out! BMM are 8v with DPF. Think there is also a sticker in the spare wheel compartment.

Look inside your engine compartment near or on the rh wheel arch. There should be a sticker with the engine type. Mine is a BKD which is the earlier 16v engine without the DPF. Was pleased to find that out! BMM are 8v with DPF. Think there is also a sticker in the spare wheel compartment.
Exactly what I wanted to know.. I have just looked at the HPI report that I did and the engine number is also BKD, so I guess that means it hasn't got a DPF? Great news that. Lets just hope the car is still available and I can secure the deal.. Thanks again.

Still non the wiser... Googled, searched every forum und the sun, still can't find out if a BKD engine (2007) has a DPF.. Some must know, surely ?? Thanks.

Andy have you read the Wiki I sent you the link for? It clearly shows the BKD is 16v and the later BMM is 8v with DPF. It's pretty clear mate, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Check your option codes on sticker in wheel well and use this to decode VW Group Option Codes Decoder
But I think you'll find you don't have one :)
or Call your local Audi centre and give them your chassis number and they will be able to tell you :)

Last edited:
Definate answer = NO

All 140PD (upto late 2008 models pre facelift) DO NOT have a DPF. 140CR engines (late 2008 onwards, facelift models) do have a DPF. All 170 models PD and CR have a DPF.

So the 07 140PD BKD you are looking at has no DPF.

Hope this helps mate.

Reactions: martinivw
Hi all, I recently joined your superb forum to look up information as I am hoping to buy an A3. I have now looked at over 10 cars ranging from 2005 to 2008 cars, both 1.9 TDI's and 2.0 TDI's. I think I have settled on a late 2007 2.0 TDI 140 but after spending many hours searching on here I am unable to determine if it will have a DPF fitted? I do know that my neighbours 60 plate A3 SE definitely has one as he has had trouble with it, and I also know that his road tax is only £30 a year as I have looked at his tax disc. So given that the road tax on the 57 plate 2.0 Sport that I am thinking about is £140 a year does that give me any clues that due to the emissions being different that is may or may not have the dreaded DPF fitted ? Any help would appreciated. Many Thanks..

Easy answer for that year of 140 is NO DPF

Reactions: martinivw