Lamin x ..... What a load of sh*t!

Jack_tdi

Reaction score
I thought the laminate x had cracked due to the heat of the head lamps , I've taken the tint off today and its cracked my headlight lens.... Any idea why any one ?

Also where can I get some new ones ?

Cheers

I've read in a couple of places that the cause of cracking headlights with laminX is that it's not letting the headlights cool down and the excessive heat is causing cracks.
This is quite a known issue and that's what stopped me from purchasing them in the first place.
Do you have headlight washers? You might have sprayed cold water on the headlights while they were hot and.. Well.. You know the rest.

I don't think laminx causes an over heating issue... I drove through the night to the alps and my headlights lasted... Had the stuff on for a few years to.
I think as pointed out its more likely a nasty stone hit the headlamp and the laminx held it all together.

It's definitely lamin x because its where the beam is thrown and they where perfect before i put it on its not been on long either

I'll get a pic later

I've read in a couple of places that the cause of cracking headlights with laminX is that it's not letting the headlights cool down and the excessive heat is causing cracks.
This is quite a known issue and that's what stopped me from purchasing them in the first place.
Do you have headlight washers? You might have sprayed cold water on the headlights while they were hot and.. Well.. You know the rest.

I don't have washers on them

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367694430146737

There's a pic of iPhone so maybe not the best you can see what I mean though

Last edited:
Reactions: wuta3 and autolatry
Ran with 100s in over the winter and got no flags?

Maybe a different set up on you car or disabled using vcds...?

Or maybe it's just if there's no current pulled they flag up a fault....

I'm no expert mind....

The exact reason i went for spi vision instead, Easy to put on and take off and the light output is barely even affected.

Reactions: B_FUR
Spot on! There are 2 companies that make it, Spi Vision and Fly eyes.

Fly eyes make all sorts of colours however with fly eyes the backing of the vinyl is white and the glue is clear.

Spi vision only make black however they use a solid black vinyl with a black glue which apparently makes the tint appear darker in comparison to the Fly eyes.

Its brilliant stuff and took me no more than 30 minutes to do front and back.

Here is an even closer shot:

Light output:

Cool! So it does have tiny holes in it allowing the headlights to dissipate the heat?

Correct, not only that it also allows for better light output as well :)

I have just e-mailed a copy of this link to lamin-x to see if they reply,i have bought some of there film but not fitted it yet,i thought xenons are hotter than halogen lamps and a few mates have it on there cars with no issues

Just before i e-mail you the response i got i am just wondering what your lenses were cleaned with before hand ? this is a serious question and not any finger pointing but we had an issue with certain cleaners and traffic film removers doing this to certain cars and certain headlamps : Nissan notes were one of the big issues we had it with as the headlamps were fitted in perfect condition then when they had come back from the wash and the valet bay we had issues,which took some investigational work until we finally figured out what the issue was and that one in question was the film remover not been mixed correct so maybe was too strong acidic or something who knows ?

but as i said the reply :

Hi many thanks for your email and custom...
We have supplied our light protection film to the motorsport industry, namely Lemans for very nearly twenty years.

During development we had to manufacture a product to meet the strict demands of racing organisations and race teams around the world as far as impact protection, grave tear, breathability/settling specifications, weights and thicknesses, shrinkage, colour and light output color, UV degradation, adhesive longevity and thermodynamic properties such as heat dissipation, melting points and much more.

It's disappointing to see incorrect, unfounded information and defamatory remarks regards our product, especially when compared to a simple (Perforated or cross cut) signwriting graphics vinyl despite the fancy names. Our product is completely different and we would never recommend anyone, whether within the motorsport industry or not to use a graphics vinyl on any vehicle lighting...We can but only advise as far as this .

Regards heat, our product will actually show you how well it dissipates as it will feel hot to the touch when compared to a lamp without having had our product fitted. This is through effective heat soak and dissipation, our product draws heat into it from within the lamp unit/lens and actually allows a cooler operating temperature inside the lamp unit as heat is then dispelled into the atmosphere. (Thermodynamic transfer/convection/entropy)

Even though there is actually a small offset due to the 'barrier' effect of the product. This offset is greatly over compensated for and it simply has to be to allow us to supply the industry.

A relatively simple explanation is to imagine a piece of copper (Extremely effective), perfectly sized and shaped to match your current headlight lens, if this copper is placed over your existing headlight it will feel extremely hot compared to the original lens alone, but as the transfer of your original lens is now increased, so is the effective heat dissipation. Again with a small increase in temperature due to a barrier effect but once again overly compensated for by the area and effective heat dissipation. We use copper as an example here as it is very effective for heat soak and also heat dissipation, our product (Which is breathable for adhesive curing and thermo properties) works in very much the same way.

This is actually all very complicated stuff, and I have missed out many factors such as density differences, outside temperatures, interior volumes, exterior forces (cooling).

I hope this helps , if you did feel the need to return the product then we are of course happy to discuss this with you, and we treat any returns/exchanges with the same priority as any outright sales through our relatively recent website, which caters for sales to the general public.

Many thanks,
Neil Riley - Customer service.
Lamin-X.co.uk - Motorsport protection films.

i have used lamin-x on over 10 of my cars and fitted it to over say 40 all in all
and never had this problem
i removed some from my old A4 3 weeks ago that had been fitted over 3 years agon and they lights were perfect.

I thought the laminate x had cracked due to the heat of the head lamps , I've taken the tint off today and its cracked my headlight lens.... Any idea why any one ?

Also where can I get some new ones ?

Cheers

was it real lamin-x or the ebay special useing the name ?

In addition how do they know that spi vision/fly eyes is simple sign-writing vinyl ? In addition im sure the bonnet of a car gets much much hotter that that of a headlight, so if companies can successfully wrap entire cars with purpose made vinyl, im sure vinyl from fly eyes and spi vision will cope just as well.

My brother has had Fli eyes on his TT for 5 years now without one problem. I like the look of lamin-x but it just seems like its more hassle than its worth and one of the major points that made me go with spi vision was the light output. The headlights look just as dark if not darker yet the light output is barely affected.

I dont think the lighter shades effect the light output as much as people think ,the headlamps look more darker than they are because your looking in to a shaded space but if you could look at it from inside the headlamp looking out it would be nothing like ,its the same if you looking in to or through a car with tinted quarter windows,if you look through one quarter window and through to the other it looks dark but if you look diagonally through a frt door glass through to the opposite side quarter window its not as dark.

They didnt name any perforated makers names or products so i dont know if they meant the two listed,but as they say they are big on the motorsport side and for any night/dusk racing you would think there product shouldnt effect the light output much .

I am not an expert or have no experience with the product apart from i have ordered some myself which i havent fitted yet so because of the concerning issue above i thought i would ask them about and to be honest am pleased with the response time on the reply and the description in to concern related back.

was it real lamin-x or the ebay special useing the name ?

Pretty sure it's the proper stuff it was expensive for what it was either way.....

And I don't use any traffic ill removers on my car always ph neutral car shampoo only..... Über shine and the like.....

As for the reply you got from lamin x just a load of sales pater if you ask me but I've looked for receipts but can't find anything to prove where I got it from to follow this up.

the main 2 places to get it are lamin-x uk
or lamin-x usa
or snide abay bagged as lamin-x

I've used a product called covex on mine, very similar to spi and fly eyes. Really impressed with it. Had fogs done too

Reactions: Wilonso