Unlocking the doors.....Sportback

cosmicblue

Reaction score
Got my new car today and I have a question....

I can only unlock the drivers door, no matter how many times I press the unlock button on the remote the remaining 3 doors and the tailgate stay locked shut.

Am I missing something? Or has it had a number plates and a wash PDI?

Double click the unlock button(like on your mouse) to open the passenger door. Hold the boot button for a couple of seconds to unlock the boot.

[ QUOTE ]
Double click the unlock button(like on your mouse) to open the passenger door. Hold the boot button for a couple of seconds to unlock the boot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mark, I'll go and try now!

I had this problem when "double clicking".... if the 2 presses of the button are too quick then the second one doesnt register. there has to be a definate gap (1/4 second or so) between them.

I have never understood why we have the whole "2 presses on the fob" to unlock all the doors when they are going to lock when you pull away anyway? Surely if the autolock is set there is no need not to unlock all the doors with the fob on a single press?

I think the logic behind the double-click to unlock all doors is so that you can approach your car, unlock the drivers door and get it without an unwanted individual opening the passenger door and getting in beside you - with maybe a knife or gun!.

A female friend of mine had that happen to her some years ago and she vowed she would never buy another car with central locking. This system overcomes that problem.

You can always ask you dealer to reprogramme how the locking system works. Personally I find the double-click unlocking a pain, because a lot of the time I approach my car and want to open the tail-gate first, so mine is set to open all doors and the tail-gate with a single press. I also find the auto-locking a bit of a nuisance, in particular when dropping off a passenger, so I've had that programmed out as well.

My sportback doesn't need the double-click.
One click has always opened everything.
I didn't ask for it,it just came that way,and I'm glad it did ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Like David though,I also asked for the auto-locking to be switched off.

I got the impression that double locking was switched off by default, most cars delivered seem to unlock all doors on one click from day one, mine certainly did.

[ QUOTE ]
I got the impression that double locking was switched off by default, most cars delivered seem to unlock all doors on one click from day one, mine certainly did.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine didn't and it does seem you need to get the double-click just right to open everything up. It's a right pain in the **** IMO but I can see the idea behind it so will try and stick it out.

The hell with that,if it annoys you just get it switched off.
If you decide to keep the auto-lock function,the doors will lock as you drive off anyway.

The default setting changed to "double click" on 2006 spec models I believe.

Personally, I don't mind it.

2006 models introduced the auto locking and "security" locking as standard (on Sportback anyway). Personally, I find the auto-locking useful (London) but am considering having the one-click, double-click option switched off as I find it irritating. Whatever combination I press, I never seem to be able to open the boot quickly enough, especially with arms of shopping in the rain. I am sure it is just me, but I have never needed to think about which button to press and how many times simply to get into a car before!

It only took 10 mins at my dealers to adjust the setting on my previous car.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Mark, that worked perfectly.

[ QUOTE ]
2006 models introduced the auto locking and "security" locking as standard (on Sportback anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

2005 model Sportbacks had the autolocking ON as standard. Be aware that some dealers have tried to charge some members to change the settings, sometimes claiming it takes between half an hour and an hour!

How do you guys find the alarm LED flasher? Mine seems to flash a lot when the car is first left but then this tails off - if you look half an hour later the frequency has dropped, a day later and couldn't see it flashing. Seems consistent with no flashing on forecourt cars at dealerships.

My car is a 2005 sportback.
My dealer switched OFF the autolock for nothing.
UK cars (S-line's anyway) don't have an alarm LED.
My dealer switched ON the alarm 'beep' for me,free of charge again.
I find that invaluable now.
Just a little 'beep' that lets you know the car is locked.
Very handy for when I can't see the indicators flashing.

All the UK A3s\Sportbacks I've seen\had have alarm LEDs - in the area of the speaker on the top of the dash in the middle. Seems a strange decision if they are not putting them on S-lines - the dash must be the same, same alarm system and probably more reason for one as they are presumably more desirable to thieves!

I've read on some forums that dealers will not switch on the alarm beep due to some European law forbidding them now.

My 2005 Sline had the light on the top of the dash - it's built into one of the plastic blobs on the sides of the middle speaker housing.

You do have to go searching for it though as it is hardly noticeable.

Bowfer, if you can't see your indicators flashing, where are you when you lock your car?!

Well ****** me...
You're absolutely right,there IS an LED !
In 6 months of ownership I've never ever noticed it.
That has to be the WEAKEST LED I've ever seen !

RobB,when I park the car at home,I sometimes leave it open (for various reasons) and can't see the indicators,or hear the doors locking when I stick the remote out the front door last thing at night.
So,before the beep,I often had to put shoes on and go out to check if the car was locked
Now,I just stick the remote out the door and get a reassuring little 'beep' to confirm all is well.
Even in situations where I can see the car,walking away and hearing the little 'beep' just makes me feel 'better'.

Incidentally,I didn't ask for the beep to be switched ON.
The dealer claimed it was a side-effect of asking for the autolock to be switched OFF.
I know he's talking crap,you know he's talking crap,but I'm so chuffed with the 'beep' that I don't care !

I know it's,technically,illegal as well.
I wouldn't condone one of those alarms that beeps every 30 seconds.
That would drive me nuts.
This is just a little 'plip' as you lock the car,and that's that.

As you drive off,the doors lock whether you want them to or not.

Thanks, I'm happy with that, I have just emailed the dealer to ask for the one click open though!

See that LED that I didn't know my car had ?
I just took the car into the warehouse to top up the oil (again...).
I switched off the lights and asked some colleagues to play 'spot the LED'.

Not one did,but it is working.
When I pointed to it,they all leaned down over the bonnet and went "ooooh yeeeah".

Now,if you can't it see it in a pitch black warehouse,what's the bleedin point ?!?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif

Its for the Aliens mate, they can see it so they know which car to go for to abduct....

Autolock is good, locks the doors when you hit about 10-15mph.

However it does have its annoying moments. I put my work stuff on the rear seat behind me in the Sportback when setting off for home. When I get home, I get out but can't open the door behind me unless I've pressed the unlock button on the driver's door. This does get annoying but at least it means no thieving Chav scum can get in the car on the way home or relieve me of the contents of my back seat. Perhaps would be better if when opening the driver's door it unlocked the other doors too.

[ QUOTE ]
Autolock is good, locks the doors when you hit about 10-15mph.

However it does have its annoying moments. I put my work stuff on the rear seat behind me in the Sportback when setting off for home. When I get home, I get out but can't open the door behind me unless I've pressed the unlock button on the driver's door. This does get annoying but at least it means no thieving Chav scum can get in the car on the way home or relieve me of the contents of my back seat. Perhaps would be better if when opening the driver's door it unlocked the other doors too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got caught out by the autolock once too often too.
Same sort of scenario as you,but a child involved.
I'd pull up in the childminder's driveway,jump out to take my daughter out (nearside rear) only to find the door was locked and I had to run back round and unlock it...

Intensely annoying.

Okay,you could argue I should have pressed the 'unlock' button prior to getting out,but I would also argue I'm perfectly able to lock the doors myself if I want to.

Mmmmmm, I have the auto-lock feature on mine, and all the doors unlock when I remove the key from the ignition - same time as the radio turning off and interior lights turning on.

There must be a combination of settings you can have.

My Golf used to unlock all the doors when the key was removed and beep to confirm locking/unlocking, I'll get the dealer to programme that when it goes in next. Either that or someone can tell me the codes and I'll set it myself with Vag-Com.

Anyone?

Yes, when you do take the key out, the doors all unlock automatically.

Each feature has its pros and cons but at least there is the flexibility to decide what is the best compromise to have on your own car. Autolock works well for me in London traffic, especially after someone tried to drag me out of my previous car at a roundabout once (long story, but happy to report that the side panels on A3s are pretty strong when standing up to a bit of a kicking), but the one-click driver's option does mean that my wife tends to get a bit wetter than I do when I forget to let her in when it is raining.

[ QUOTE ]
There must be a combination of settings you can have.

My Golf used to unlock all the doors when the key was removed and beep to confirm locking/unlocking, I'll get the dealer to programme that when it goes in next. Either that or someone can tell me the codes and I'll set it myself with Vag-Com.

Anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought VAGCOM gave you a menu to scroll through ?

Don't know about VAGCOM but the technician at my dealers says he has to enter fairly long hexadecimal codes to change the locking status. When I called in the other Saturday for them to switch off the auto locking it took him about 30 minutes.

[ QUOTE ]
Mmmmmm, I have the auto-lock feature on mine, and all the doors unlock when I remove the key from the ignition - same time as the radio turning off and interior lights turning on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, should have clarified. Mine does this I believe when removing keys. Annoying thing is that it doesn't unlock all doors when I open the driver's door with engine running in front of my garage and then try to get my bag out the back! I have to remember to press the unlock button!

I leave my Missus out in the rain on purpose - especially if she's had her hair 'done' - that money could have gone on some more options!

I hope she doesn't read this - she just thinks I don't know how the locking works.....

But if the doors are locked, don't you have to pull the inside handle twice to open the door?

Thus pressing the unlock button (unlock all doors), then pulling the door handle is just as easy?

As for VAG com and dealers - its all unoffical, mechanics being clever. They are not supposed to change anything from factory spec. The flexibility is just a by-product of a common platform system shared by manufacturers.

It's a convoluted method of codes etc, no easy 'user options' menu.

[ QUOTE ]
But if the doors are locked, don't you have to pull the inside handle twice to open the door?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - on my SB I cannot lock the doors from the inside at all. (Child locks might work - never tried)

On my A3-door, if the doors are locked, double-pulling of the door handle opens the door. My dealers says all the various locking options are available and it's up to the customer to decide which arrangement they prefer.

The 'driver door unlock only' has been driving me mental! It is very inconvenient to use if you have children. Mine also re-locks the other doors if you press the remote too many times. I'll be contacting the dealer to re-program very shortly. Is this a while you wait job?

Yes it should be. When I had mine done it took a total of 30 minutes from the time the technician took my keys to the time he gave them back to me and said 'All done'.

Probably best to phone and make an arrangement beforehand.