S3 Clutch, only slips in cold & wet weather??

MacrosTheBlack

Reaction score
Sorry, yet another clutch thread! But after some advice as my symptoms seem a little different from the norm...

Basically during the winter months of cold and wet weather my clutch would occasionally slip when under load. I.E. Accelerating fairly hard down a motorway slipway, or sitting at 60mph-70mph in sixth gear and then accelerating.

I assumed the clutch was on it's way out and I've sourced a new replacement clutch, DMF and slave cylinder ready to replace. However, now the weathers warmed (and dried up), the clutch is as good as gold! Just been out to give it a good hard run on a few motorway slip roads and accelerating hard in sixth gear but it no longer slips and the car pulls fine through the rev range.

So I'm a bit confused and after some advice please? Anyone had the same thing? Could the clutch be ok but some fluids or road spray be getting onto the clutch plates somehow?

I may just go ahead and replace for peace of mind, but it's an expensive job if it doesn't really need doing.

Could your clutch require bleeding its a bit of a funny one or maybe you have a sticky slave or master cylinder that worsens at low ambients .

colder air is denser with more oxygen. more oxygen=more power

colder air is denser with more oxygen. more oxygen=more power

This plus better friction when warm so worse when the car is cold.

Exactly the same symtoms I had previously. New clutch is the answer.

Paul

Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure that being colder and having more power was the issue and even in the wet & cold weather the clutch was slipping lots whenever you put the power down firmly. Even after a long run.

Slave or Master Cylinder could be the problem I guess, not that familiar with the clutch system myself. I planned to book in the new clutch, DMF and slave cylinder change with AMD Essex. I guess the best thing to do is ask them to check the whole system and replace with the new parts if they feel it's necessary.

Well I sourced a new standard clutch, DMF and slave cylinder and had AMD Essex install them for me. Got the Haldex oil and filter changed too as well as the front and rear diff oil and gearbox oil too for my peace of mind. Cracking good job, dropped off at 8am and it was ready to collect at 2.30pm.

New clutch much sharper! In fact I stalled it first time as the bite took me by surprise! Guess I'd got used to mine being so weak. All good and no slippage. No need to run in apparently, but I will go easy for first 200 miles, again just for my peace of mind.

So AMD Essex recommendation from myself :icon_thumright: and about half the price from the Audi stealerships!

Well I sourced a new standard clutch, DMF and slave cylinder and had AMD Essex install them for me. Got the Haldex oil and filter changed too as well as the front and rear diff oil and gearbox oil too for my peace of mind. Cracking good job, dropped off at 8am and it was ready to collect at 2.30pm.

New clutch much sharper! In fact I stalled it first time as the bite took me by surprise! Guess I'd got used to mine being so weak. All good and no slippage. No need to run in apparently, but I will go easy for first 200 miles, again just for my peace of mind.

So AMD Essex recommendation from myself :icon_thumright: and about half the price from the Audi stealerships!

Good result.

The stock clutch is a really wobbly piece of gear,and seems to be marginal at anything over stock settings.

The beast that AMD fitted to mine has been fantastic,and the Sachs I had previously coped till well above it's rated values.

Good result.

The stock clutch is a really wobbly piece of gear,and seems to be marginal at anything over stock settings.

The beast that AMD fitted to mine has been fantastic,and the Sachs I had previously coped till well above it's rated values.

Yeah Ben @ AMD mentioned to me the different options and about maybe going for a sach clutch and SMF. But I'm happy with the stock power and no plans to remap. So rather than risk getting a heavier clutch and chatter (which I'm sure would annoy me), kept it standard.

Each to their own and all that and yeah Alex I'm sure a standard clutch would scream and die on the first pull away attempt with you running 500bhp heheh!

Yeah Ben @ AMD mentioned to me the different options and about maybe going for a sach clutch and SMF. But I'm happy with the stock power and no plans to remap. So rather than risk getting a heavier clutch and chatter (which I'm sure would annoy me), kept it standard....
!

One of the things that got me settled on going to them in the first place was the way that nothing was pushed,and a good bit of time spent working out what I wanted,and in the end,a lot of time,effort and money saved.

So I kept going back for more....!