170 quattro or s3

SparkyMcA

Reaction score
was wondering how much a difference there is from both, when tdi gets going the torque jus slings you back, when mapped would have more than s3, a always get petrol and love fast cars, but from day to day driving what would be best, cheers guys

In bhp terms a mapped S3 will obviously be better and a Stg2+ car would also have around 360lbs of torque.

They will drive very differently though and both will have strong points at different rpm levels.

Very different cars and I wouldn't really be comparing them. The S3 is a hot hatch, the 170 is fast diesel with plenty of low down grunt to make acceleration effortless in day to day driving.

Why would you ask this question its a no brainer - GO FOR THE S3 !!! Just dont look at the MPG status when driving hard lol

Reactions: Brodster
am going for the s3 but wanted to see what other people thought so thats why i asked the question :cool: so roughly a mapped s3 about 410nm?

I'm snapping the stalk when mines back on the road so I can never see the mpg again.

I've got a 170bhp (220bhp now) tdi quattro and have drove an S3 as my friend has one and they are completely different animals. The S3 is a lot smoother delivery with more grunt up top where as my once was 170 just seems to have lots of low down grunt, both are quick cars but the S3 is better. I went for the diesel due to the mileage i was doing at the time but would prefer the S3 as i now don't.

Reactions: SparkyMcA
We have both & as previously said they are totally different animals.

The TDI Quattro is fantastic at munching up the miles economically whilst still having enough poke to overtake on a back road blast & the S3 is an awful lot more refined as the engine is silky smooth that loves to rev and is a proper hoot when you want / need to cover ground quickly.

Only thing i would say is spec buckets we have them in the S3 and i wish i also had them in the TDI!

Depends also on your journey if u do a short journey then the DPF may give you issues, just a thought.