Confused about a few things mainly relating to retrofitting cruise/mfsw

granty578

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I know I've posted something already about MFSW but the more I search the forum the more i get confused.

People seem to refer to problems encountered with retrofitting with pre-05 A3's which is pre-facelift.

However mine is an 05 (Sep 2005 registered, just before 55 plate) but still has the old bumper with rub strips etc.

I have DSG.

Now what I want to really understand is it likely I have highline control and do I have a stage 1 or stage 2 airbag? For the latter, how can I tell with VCDS?

Ideally I'd like to fit a MFSW and Cruise Control and ideally without a new control unit :)

Thanks,

James

If your Car is a Sportback on an 05 plate then it will have dual stage airbag system as all sportbacks had this from 2004 with the shield airbag. with your car been DSG it has the Highline Ecu so you already have the correct module.

so cruise will got straight on with coding and if you have dual stage airbags then MFSW straight Swap With Coding.

Thanks. I have a 3dr so what does this mean? Luck of the draw? Is there any way I can easily tell which type of airbag I currently have?

Also, whats chances of needing the control wire for cruise?

No means you have stage 1 system as 05 plate 3 doors don't have dual stage, it's 55 onwards and forgot to mention if you have the dis then you won't need the extra wire for cruise either.

Good news I can have cruise control but I did really want a MFSW when I've got the bluetooth GSM kit....i'm surprised at the time there was no MFSW option?

I have the steering wheel pictured here:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...shape-s-line-steering-wheel-2003-audi-a3.html

This seems to be the dual stage airbag?

Is this correct and is the single stage airbag on a different steering wheel aka the ugly steering wheel?

P.S I have a single grille not a double if that helps?

If you have a DSG wheel the same shape (but with paddles) as the one in post #1 of your link then you have everything you need for CC and MFSW swap. Your airbag is 2 stage. This assumes of course that it is original equipment and has not been retro-fitted!

Direct 'plug and play' but with new coding of course.

If you have a DSG wheel the same shape (but with paddles) as the one in post #1 of your link then you have everything you need for CC and MFSW swap. Your airbag is 2 stage. This assumes of course that it is original equipment and has not been retro-fitted!

Direct 'plug and play' but with new coding of course.

Thanks! That makes me happier!

My car is like half way in between the facelift I think. It's an sline but before they put the new sline bumpers on...yet I have all the black headlining and seats etc etc. I've seen a 2010 steering wheel for a cheap price so I think I'll get it ordered!

I've had a 2010 Sline MFSW turn up today from audi a3 Sline multi function steering wheel ,a3,q7,a4,tt Dsg | eBay

Turned up in great condition, looks hardly used.

So....still getting confused the more and more I look about. Is there anything else I need (airbag harness?) and is it worth taking my current steering wheel off and trying to put this one of before getting any further as some people have noted slight differences in airbags?

Your existing airbag will be fine.

That wheel is a straight swap for yours but you will need a wiring loom for the airbag. That's because it has an extra lead on it that plugs into the socket you can see in your new wheel. You can get this from Audi for about £40. I can't remember the part number but if you do a search on here for 'MFSW' you will find a thread with the part number.

You will need VCDS to code the wheel for it to work.

Thanks...I think I've seen the part number already when looking. I didn't realise before which is a shame but I reckon I got the wheel cheaper anyway :)

I have contact with a local VCDS guy off here so that should be no problem.

Can I fit myself and then do VCDS when he's ready or do they need to be done at the same time (e.g. I'll do it myself now, if everything functions except the MF)

You can do it now if you want but I'm not certain the paddles will work. They probably will though.

MF can be activated later with VCDS.

EDIT: Silly me - if you've got DSG then the airbag wiring loom should be the correct one !! You don't need to buy another !!!!

Last edited:
You can do it now if you want but I'm not certain the paddles will work. They probably will though.

MF can be activated later with VCDS.

EDIT: Silly me - if you've got DSG then the airbag wiring loom should be the correct one !! You don't need to buy another !!!!

Mike I did wonder! I didn't see this edit. However I've picked the part up. Do you think Audi will let me take it back? I haven't fitted yet....

The parts look mainly the same on both BUT the one on the airbag at the moment is a different part number starting in 8E0 and I think ends in G not AD or something (can't quite remember)

Just try it with the old one. If it works then all well and good and Audi should give you a refund unless you ordered it specially.

Don't worry about the part numbers at this stage.

OK Thanks - Audi opened the part in the shop themselves so I hope they take it back. They did have to order the part in.

Worst comes to worst I'll just sell it on because I can imagine they're sort after.

Hi Mike,

I don't suppose you happen to know the VCDS coding?

I've looked on Ross-Tech which only lists the 4 spoke MFSW.

I remember seeing it in another post once upon a time, but I can't seem to find it now :(

Cheers,

James

If you have DSG with CC and MF but no telephone prep I think the code should be :-

The last '2' is for rear wiper fitted !

If you have DSG with CC and MF but no telephone prep I think the code should be :-

The last '2' is for rear wiper fitted !

I have:

DSG, NO CC with MF and GSM prep - would that be 0013111?

Sorry for the delay - I'll get back on this asap !

Hi Mike,

No worries - after a bit of trial and error I managed to get this working last night. Was really pleased with it. I did have to code the bluetooth module too.

Out of curiosity with GSM prep (the cradle one) can you get the voice recognition thing? At present it functions in terms of it seems to pick up my voice but always says command not recognized.

Hi Mike,

No worries - after a bit of trial and error I managed to get this working last night. Was really pleased with it. I did have to code the bluetooth module too.

Out of curiosity with GSM prep (the cradle one) can you get the voice recognition thing? At present it functions in terms of it seems to pick up my voice but always says command not recognized.

Glad you got it sorted. I don't have GSM prep but presumably if you have OEM Bluetooth fitted then you have a mic in the courtesy light cluster ? I would have thought it should pick up voice recognition. Does your phone pair ok with the bluetooth module ?

Glad you got it sorted. I don't have GSM prep but presumably if you have OEM Bluetooth fitted then you have a mic in the courtesy light cluster ? I would have thought it should pick up voice recognition. Does your phone pair ok with the bluetooth module ?

I'll take a look later, there's definitely a mic. I didnt know where it was but I put the phone outside the car, shut the door and tested lol.

Thinking about it though, I set the coding to MFSW with bluetooth and no mic...so this may be it. I'll have a play with it later to see if I can get it working.

My phones that I've had while I've had the car have all worked spot on with it. It's a shame I have the dash mount, but it's not such a biggy.