How to get my iPhone 5 to play music in the car!

john71482

Reaction score
When I bought the car I had a 4s so i just connected it to the lead for iPod's that is in the glove box now the iPhone 5 needs a different connection and I tried the adapter I bought to play music from my phone for the dock in the house but the car stereo doesn't pick up that my phone is plugged it what a ball ache anyone got an ideas??

When I bought the car I had a 4s so i just connected it to the lead for iPod's that is in the glove box now the iPhone 5 needs a different connection and I tried the adapter I bought to play music from my phone for the dock in the house but the car stereo doesn't pick up that my phone is plugged it what a ball ache anyone got an ideas??

That was a long sentence :unsure:

Sounds like your adaptor isn't fully wired between all the pins of the two sockets.

AAAAAAND Breathe...

Seriously, is your little adaptor a genuine one? As I have an iPhone 5 so was faced with the same problem. Bought a genuine lightning adaptor, plugged it in, took a few secs to pick it up unusually but then bingo. No issues whatsoever. The eBay specials are only suitable for charging, they're not coded...

Do you have AMI or the standard iPod dock?

If you had AMI then you would have the latest Glossy Black Surround RNSe.

AAAAAAND Breathe...

Seriously, is your little adaptor a genuine one? As I have an iPhone 5 so was faced with the same problem. Bought a genuine lightning adaptor, plugged it in, took a few secs to pick it up unusually but then bingo. No issues whatsoever. The eBay specials are only suitable for charging, they're not coded...

If you want an adaptor to work with your car or dock, then you need to buy an official apple adaptor. All the cheap adaptors on the bay only work for charging usually, not for transferring data/music/etc.

Avoid the cheap adaptors if you want full use of your iphone/ipod/ipad with accessory's.

Or do what I did - but a cheap second hand iPod classic. 160gb cost me about £60 and I just leave it in the car. Take it out once in a while to update with iTunes.

Exactly what I do, leave my old 4s in the car as a media player only, if I park close enough to the house I can even update from iTunes over wifi....

Reactions: Ash187 and Arjuanamo