Standard Wheel Bolts Not Long Enough For O.Z Superleggera? (Pics)

swift

Reaction score
I have tried fitting a set of O.Z Superleggera to my a3 but the standard wheel bolts are not long enough I think the Offset is 45 and the Stud pattern is 112? Shepway2013050100394Shepway2013050100396

Last edited:
Offset should be in the back of every wheel mate offset must be wayyy off for the bolts not to fit as ive had about 4 sets of wheels and now running bentleys and used same standard bolts for all of them

It's the physical depth of the centre of the wheel. I had a set of wheels before where I had to use longer bolts because of this (was years ago - can't remember make!) even though they were the same size otherwise (same offset, width etc).

You need a minimum of 7 turns into the hub, every turn after that doesn't add much (will dig out the science that backs this up!). So with a 1.5mm pitch you need about a 10.5mm of thread + the thickness of your brake disc. I think standard wheel bolts usually allow about 17-18mm.

Last edited:
I have BBS CH for the summer. 5x112, et 50. I had to buy longer bolts as the standard ones were too short. Only 3 turns until they were tight.

My BBS wheels needed longer bolts too.

Those though look ok, looks like you can see 7 threads on the bolts so I'd be happy with that.

My BBS wheels needed longer bolts too.

Those though look ok, looks like you can see 7 threads on the bolts so I'd be happy with that.

Need to see 7 threads after they've been through the brake disc!

My BBS CK's are ET44 and have the extended BBS bolts so you'll definately need longer bolts as the original ET is 56 I think. You don't want to chance it with those original bolts not being in safety.

I think I need 14MM X 1.5 60 degree tapered bolts im not sure if they have to be a certain type of seating either taper or radius.

Thread = M14x1.5
Seat = Radius
Head = 17mm

...is what is needed for standard wheels. Not sure if they'll be the same?

OEM wheels are usually radius and aftermarket are often tapered, but best check with the wheel manufacturer if in doubt.

Spoke to the person I bought them from and he said the bolts he used on his golf are 1 inch longer than standard? is that a 52mm total bolt length needed then? I definitely wont chance it with the standard bolts! I cant even get them in on the fronts, I trying to find some decent quality bolts, here's a pic of the bolt length on my other alloys:

alloy.jpg

You need to buy new bolts.. in tirerack USA always i buy rims it came with the new bolts

Spoke to the person I bought them from and he said the bolts he used on his golf are 1 inch longer than standard? is that a 52mm total bolt length needed then? I definitely wont chance it with the standard bolts! I cant even get them in on the fronts, I trying to find some decent quality bolts, here's a pic of the bolt length on my other alloys:

alloy.jpg

You need to be very careful if the bolts are too long as they will bottom out in the hub and of you try to keep tightening them then you'll end up stripping something and need it re-tapping. This is a voice of experience!!

Same as for my Ultralegerra's-frightening thing was I only found out about it AFTER a track session....
So, it's one of 2 things-3 turns is good enough or I'm just very lucky. I think the latter...Changed to bolts about 5mm longer than stock....

I have BBS CH for the summer. 5x112, et 50. I had to buy longer bolts as the standard ones were too short. Only 3 turns until they were tight.

I'm a bit confused because my standard radius bolts seem to fit so not sure if I should be buying radius or a 60 Degree Taper that are meant for Aftermarket Alloy Wheels?
shepway2013050300401.jpg