Sky InsuranceBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By S3Alex

Thread: Helix clutch kit?

5th Gear

Status

Helix clutch kit?

Hi guys,

Thinking of replacing my clutch with the Helix organic like (Helix Road Clutch Kit - 2.0 TFSI Eng:- BWA, BWJ -9/2005->) ... a remap stage1/stage2 is on the cards soon...

Everyone on here seems to be using Sachs but I have been told they are a bit crap and people seem to have slippage issues.

Anyone any experience of Helix clutches in 2.0TFSI?

Cheers!
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

2. # ADS
    ADS

Rarely neutral

Status
    Very much depends on which clutch,and how much torque you intend running.

The SMF Helix has had issues with disengagement,whereas the Sachs and especially Loba/Sachs,seem to have no such problems.

I ran a Sachs organic and DMF on mine at up to 440bhp/440lbs,before it finally gave in,but one warning....run it in gently for a few hundred miles before hoofing it.

Also...the link you've given shows an organic clutch plate and a paddle clutch alongside.....just my own experiences,but paddle clutches don't go well with town driving,and don't cope with being slipped very well.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    Very much depends on which clutch,and how much torque you intend running.

The SMF Helix has had issues with disengagement,whereas the Sachs and especially Loba/Sachs,seem to have no such problems.

I ran a Sachs organic and DMF on mine at up to 440bhp/440lbs,before it finally gave in,but one warning....run it in gently for a few hundred miles before hoofing it.

Also...the link you've given shows an organic clutch plate and a paddle clutch alongside.....just my own experiences,but paddle clutches don't go well with town driving,and don't cope with being slipped very well.
    Thanks Alex Already decided to avoid the paddle clutch. While a bonkers hard launch would be nice, the hill/traffic driving of Yorkshire doesn't match. I think (im new to clutches and whatnot) im keeping the OEM DMF and going with an organic of some description. Just wondering how Helix fare against other brands.

One thing I know, im not gonna be putting 440bhp through it any time soon :P

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    Thanks Alex Already decided to avoid the paddle clutch. While a bonkers hard launch would be nice, the hill/traffic driving of Yorkshire doesn't match. I think (im new to clutches and whatnot) im keeping the OEM DMF and going with an organic of some description. Just wondering how Helix fare against other brands.

One thing I know, im not gonna be putting 440bhp through it any time soon :P
    LOL...no worries.

It's not power that kills clutches,but torque,and drag style starts.

I don't think the Helix has any better or worse reputation than the others,but I do know the Sachs,and the Loba has a lot of good feedback also,but is an SMF setup.

5th Gear

Status
    LOL...no worries.

It's not power that kills clutches,but torque,and drag style starts.

I don't think the Helix has any better or worse reputation than the others,but I do know the Sachs,and the Loba has a lot of good feedback also,but is an SMF setup.
    Thanks for the info *scratches chin* All very confusing tho, im just going off that Helix was recommended and it seems to be all Awesome stock for the 2.0TFSI going through the "pick ure car" stuff.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    Thanks for the info *scratches chin* All very confusing tho, im just going off that Helix was recommended and it seems to be all Awesome stock for the 2.0TFSI going through the "pick ure car" stuff.
    The only other choice I think would be the Sachs.

It is a good clutch,but with the warnings I gave about drag starts and ripping it from new.

a3 2.0 tdi quattro

Status
    The only other choice I think would be the Sachs.

It is a good clutch,but with the warnings I gave about drag starts and ripping it from new.
    Has anyone ever experienced the helix problem with disengagement as im experiencing it first hand and so far my mechanic has put thinner oil through the gearbox, changed the slave and now the servo and then it goes again, cant get it out of gear and is trying to drive the car and the only way to get it out is to drive but a bit difficult when reversing up to a brick wall and cant roll forward because the clutchs is biting??

6th Gear

Status
    I run standard sachs flywheel with a helix clutch had no problems
    Full Leather / heated Seats / 18" Speedlines / AP coilover kit / R32 Rear 310mm Brakes / window Tints / Auto lights / Xenons / Cruise control / R32 Front 345mm Brakes / Full milltek system / Led side lights / Bose / brushed aluminium inlays / panal filter / Full Egr delete / custom map with hot start fix / Hybrid Turbo / Sachs Racing clutch / 10mm Rear spacers / 10mm Front spacers / A5 LED number plate bulbs /

233 bhp - 309 ft lb - 419 nm (NEEDS A NEW MAP)

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by bishop21 View Post
    Has anyone ever experienced the helix problem with disengagement as im experiencing it first hand and so far my mechanic has put thinner oil through the gearbox, changed the slave and now the servo and then it goes again, cant get it out of gear and is trying to drive the car and the only way to get it out is to drive but a bit difficult when reversing up to a brick wall and cant roll forward because the clutchs is biting??
    A few people have had this issue,but it seems difficult to predict or to pin down.

The clutch release bearing may be one item,but it doesn't explain why a number of people have had this problem,and Helix haven't got a fix for it.

a3 2.0 tdi quattro

Status
    It's highly frustrating, i've paid all this to have one fitted, then the slave now the master and ive still got the problem.... it's where i go from here i think my mechanic is given up

6th Gear

Status
    I have helix in my tdi, awesome bit of kit with no issues for 20k miles at approx 300ib ft tourque. They do take a while to bed in though
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

a3 2.0 tdi quattro

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by @udi A3 View Post
    I have helix in my tdi, awesome bit of kit with no issues for 20k miles at approx 300ib ft tourque. They do take a while to bed in though

And you had the problem of the clutch not disengaging/engaging properly whilst bedding in ?

3rd Gear

Status
    I just got the loba stage 2 clutch in and "OMG" is a unreal bit of kit. Drove it gently for a about 100miles and gave it some "beans"...
    I'm running shark stage 1 with miltek Full D-cat, CAI.. and it scares me how much torque is....

Loba is the way forward...

a3 2.0 tdi quattro

Status
    See I was also told not to worry about bedding in the clutch

6th Gear

Status
    I found mine very bitey for a few hundred miles, its a tdi, and stalled it a few times. It never really failed to engage though always very grippy
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

a3 2.0 tdi quattro

Status
    I love it when it works, beautiful drive but this problem with the engagement is very frustrating !