Loose gear knob?

Ben S3 8P3

Reaction score
I have had this since I got the car and just thought it must be an Audi thing, but maybe it isn't?

The gear knob has play in it if you rotate it, probably 15 degrees play either side, and just generally feels a bit loose.

The push down reverse function also seems a bit loose in ways

Does anyone one else have this? Can it be tightened?

Cheers

I have an 8P A3 and this is how I adjusted my gear knob, might be 'roughly' the same for the 8P3, someone can confirm.

First, you need to un-clip the metal surround from the gear stick/gaiter, very easy to do. Just need a bit of plastic with a small lip to get under the surround and un-clip. You can use a flat head screw driver but make sure you don't scratch/mark the metal.
T2eC16JyUE9s6NEGOBRYWFuNy560 35
Once you have the surround up, turn the gaiter inside out and you will see a small jubilee clip, un-tighten this and you can remove the gear knob or you can move the gear stick around and up and down to how you want it. Then just reverse the above.

Gearknobht3
This clip (jubilee clip?) is what tightens the gear knob and gaiter to the gear stick. Loosen this and you can twist the knob/gaiter round and up and down.

Any Q's, let me know

Reactions: HHS3
I have an 8P A3 and this is how I adjusted my gear knob, might be 'roughly' the same for the 8P3, someone can confirm.

First, you need to un-clip the metal surround from the gear stick/gaiter, very easy to do. Just need a bit of plastic with a small lip to get under the surround and un-clip. You can use a flat head screw driver but make sure you don't scratch/mark the metal.
View attachment 14884
Once you have the surround up, turn the gaiter inside out and you will see a small jubilee clip, un-tighten this and you can remove the gear knob or you can move the gear stick around and up and down to how you want it. Then just reverse the above.

View attachment 14885
This clip (jubilee clip?) is what tightens the gear knob and gaiter to the gear stick. Loosen this and you can twist the knob/gaiter round and up and down.

Any Q's, let me know

Cheers for the help, only just got round to having a look, it is what you said it is.

But im not sure how to tighten the metal clip?

Anyone got any ideas.

My bodge it brain instantly thought to use a cable tie and possibly a bit of superglue to strengthen it

I actually changed the jubilee clip around the gear stick. The original was a cheapo one and not very good, so swapped it for a decent one that you can easily adjust with a screw driver.
Jubileeclip

Oh and I wouldn't advise using a cable tie and glue, cable tie may come loose and gluing it won't help when you need to remove it next time.

Get a good jubilee clip, available from most hardware stores, easy to remove/install.

Reactions: Ben S3 8P3